Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:33 PM   #1
NickyRucks

Trader Rating: (0)
NickyRucks is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CA CA18DET Problem - Help!

Just put a brand new alternator and battery in my CA18det '93 Hatch because the battery was old and the alternator was reading at only 11.3-ish V at idle and up to 1500ish RPM. The car will crank and drive for about 4/5 minutes but it starts loosing power (dash dims, headlights, etc.) and starts to sputter and dies after about a 30 second struggle. The car will then need a jump to start back up and will run OK to my destination (5-ish miles).

After the jump and drive to wherever, the car will start back up but when I let it idle there it will start to die soon after and any additional electrical strain will finish it off (turning the headlights on for example). Then, the car won't be able to start without a jump (first attempt: clicking, next attempt: nothing).

Also, I took it to a reputable shop and they said it was most likely the lack of grounds. I added a ground from Battery to chassis and another from Block to chassis (4 gauge).

Really don't know what it could be at this point, took a good look around at wiring and stuff but nothing catches my attention. I've had the car for maybe 3 months total and it drove with no problems really until a month and a half later but this has only been going on for a few weeks.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Nick

PS (Car has push button ignition where cigarette lighter was...., as well as an after market crap radio head unit)
NickyRucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #2
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
It looks like the alternator is not doing its job, or something drains the battery. I once had a defective starter motor that did that but it took 4 days to empty the battery, and it never shut the car down ... these alternators can provide an awful lot of wattage, more than the car should consume i'd say.

anyway i'd start by removing this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyRucks View Post
PS (Car has push button ignition where cigarette lighter was...., as well as an after market crap radio head unit)
and making sure their wiring is correct.

Both are huge sources of trouble.

Are you sure the new alternator is wired properly though, and gives enough juice ?
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:59 PM   #3
NickyRucks

NickyRucks is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks man, I'm definitely gonna give those two a look!
Something I remembered as well is that: I didn't have the problem really until I changed the spark plugs (i noticed I'm missing 10 of 16 bolts that hold down the coil packs and that plate that grounds them, basically ground is floating up and down with ease) I guess when i put them back in, i didn't put them in an exact way that holds them down best? Think this could be it? Im gonna head out and buy the rest of the bolts from a parts store, can't hurt.
NickyRucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
curo72

curo72 is an unknown quantity at this point
It's got a brand new alternator and the battery still dies?
What's the voltage like?
curo72 is offline   Reply With Quote