Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:34 AM   #1
briengx01

Trader Rating: (0)
briengx01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
240sx rust repair advice

Need help from anyone who has knowledge pertaining rust on the 240sx. My questions to you is this... Roughly how much would it cost to fix this? Is it worth it and how difficult is it to repair? I live in a tower and don't have a garage or have access to one. Therefore, i cannot weld the rust myself. I got multiple estimates from top body shops in my area. The estimates were all above 4500. The reason im asking is because the car is mint. Pictures are here http://s86.photobucket.com/user/Brie...?page=1&sort=1
briengx01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2019, 07:37 PM   #2
nzmoman
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
nzmoman is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Unless there’s something really special about that chassis I’d leave alone. Maybe wire brush it and spray it. I’m assuming there are other spots throughout the chassis?

By the time you really repair that you could’ve spent time and money on another chassis with no rust. They’re 300-700 in my area.

That’s not a hard fix but it’s just not really worth it especially when there are bare non rusted chassis’ all over the place that you can go to years from now when that rust is worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nzmoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:01 PM   #3
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
kyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by briengx01 View Post
Need help from anyone who has knowledge pertaining rust on the 240sx. My questions to you is this... Roughly how much would it cost to fix this? Is it worth it and how difficult is it to repair? I live in a tower and don't have a garage or have access to one. Therefore, i cannot weld the rust myself. I got multiple estimates from top body shops in my area. The estimates were all above 4500. The reason im asking is because the car is mint. Pictures are here http://s86.photobucket.com/user/Brie...?page=1&sort=1
that car looks pretty damn clean from the pictures I saw
sand and paint at most. no welding necessary

(unless theres something I didn't notice)
Old 01-30-2019, 02:22 AM   #4
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
That doesn't even look bad. I'd spray the spots with some of that rust stop coating (can't remember what it's called) and leave it be.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:49 AM   #5
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wire brush, rust converter, chassis black.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:35 AM   #6
JrDarknes
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
JrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I would think you could find some welders who can do that on the side for much cheaper. I would check your local facebook group.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:47 AM   #7
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
Well here's the thing of why you're getting estimates of 4500. A guy in his driveway, would cut that brake line and patch it up after he welded a plate on from the wheel well side, spray some paint over it and call it a day. A legit body shop isn't going to half ass it like that. Engine would be removed, the brake line would be removed as a whole (no cutting it) and then you get into cutting out the old rust, welding in new metal, grinding, some light fiberglass work to blend it in, and then priming, painting, and clearing the engine bay side, undercoating the reverse side of it (wheel well side) and then reassembling everything.

The rail entails removing the seat, interior plastics, and peeling back the carpet that's directly over the rail. Replacing the rusted metal, body and paint work, then spraying cavity wax through the rail. Reinstall the interior, and give you a bill of 4500 for everything.

If I were you, in your position, I would get some POR15, scrape off the lose rusted material, and brush on some POR15. Do this every few months (its quite runny and goes on thin) and just keep an eye on it. Luckily NY doesn't make a big deal about rust for state inspections (I grew up in NY). I work as a body tech and I've replaced A LOT of rust and I see this as your best bet. You're not going to sink 4500 into this repair, so just try to keep it at a minimum and slow it down the best you can.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:07 PM   #8
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
No offense and I hate to be “negative”, but I’ll be real with you. If you have rust, your car isn’t mint. I guarantee, if you have rust there, you have it else where. Rockers, wheel well arches and rear bumper area for sure.