Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:32 AM   #31
z31andrew
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
z31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by gills View Post
Did you top off your oil filter a bit with oil before screwing it on? Installing it dry causes a momentary lapse of pressurizing the system. Don't sweat it too hard though. Since the motor was just run recently there was sufficient oil film still left on bearing and friction surfaces.

If you want to be anal with oil pressure after oil changes/flushing or if the car has been sitting for awhile, or on a fresh engine build, pull your fuel pump fuse (or turn it off if you have a switch panel) and crank the engine for about 10-20 seconds so you can pressurize the system. If you have an oil pressure gauge, you can see when this happens.

Also funny story, everyone always stresses so hard about oil filtration, which is obviously very important, but I ran a KA24DE unknowingly not filtering oil for 70 hours of racing before it actually spun a bearing. 70 HOURS of oil not being filtered in a racing environment. That's like 40-50 HPDE events.
I did not prime the filter. I honestly was never aware of this little trick, after it happened I asked my brother, my manager at work and a couple of my friends and they all brought up that same question, asked if i primed it. The light has now gone away, so that must have caused that light to come on. I am not sweating it!

And for everyone else (@kyral) I ran cheap 5w30 (O'Reilly's Oil) for about 20-25 mins on my car then drained it, it came out much darker. Not necessarily BLACK, but it was dirty for sure. That was only having ran it in the car for 25 minutes idling. That little bit cleaned up a lot from what I could tell. I even did a Motul engine clean on my last oil change so my motor could not have been that dirty.

All in all, glad it did the flush. Gave me piece of mind knowing the motor is well lubed. I will hopefully be driving it this weekend to put a load on the motor, and hopefully getting my pressure installed before the track on the 18th so I can monitor the pressure in those conditions using the 10w40 Redline oil. Then hopefully getting a temp gauge soon after.

I appreciate all the input here guys! Helped me out alot and gave me great piece of mind
z31andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2019, 11:39 AM   #32
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
sure thing, let us know how it all works out
Old 02-10-2019, 08:22 PM   #33
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Rotella T6
Old 02-14-2019, 11:38 AM   #34
Weksan

Trader Rating: (0)
Weksan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have the same mods as you pretty much and I run rotella t6. My engine is rebuilt to oem spec
Weksan is offline   Reply With Quote