Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-05-2020, 09:05 PM   #23521
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
DJTTon is on the path to ruinDJTTon is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Unplugging coil pack 3 didnt affect the idle when it was running on 3 cylinders. The engine feels like it has more vibration and runs rich as hell

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2020, 09:16 PM   #23522
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTTon View Post
Unplugging coil pack 3 didnt affect the idle when it was running on 3 cylinders. The engine feels like it has more vibration and runs rich as hell

And is unplugging also how you verified spark? Or did you run the coilpack installed to an external plug or spark checker?

If you think it's a valvetrain component, do a running compression test (valve core removed from your gauge) on 2 and 3 and compare. I think it's a control issue with the coil.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 05:49 AM   #23523
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron View Post
And is unplugging also how you verified spark? Or did you run the coilpack installed to an external plug or spark checker?

If you think it's a valvetrain component, do a running compression test (valve core removed from your gauge) on 2 and 3 and compare. I think it's a control issue with the coil.
I simply swapped coilpack and spark plug from cylinder 2 to 3 and the issue stayed at cylinder 3 with cylinder 2 coilpack and spark plug; I swapped them back after I noticed the issue was the same, then recently took out original coilpack 3 and stuck the cylinder 3 spark plug into it and grounded the housing while a friend cranked and I saw spark while plugged into the cyl3 harness connector. Im still technically not ruling out spark either bc it could be the ignitor chip since swapping the coilpacks between cylinders didnt move the problem.
Old 11-06-2020, 07:56 PM   #23524
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
I simply swapped coilpack and spark plug from cylinder 2 to 3 and the issue stayed at cylinder 3 with cylinder 2 coilpack and spark plug; I swapped them back after I noticed the issue was the same, then recently took out original coilpack 3 and stuck the cylinder 3 spark plug into it and grounded the housing while a friend cranked and I saw spark while plugged into the cyl3 harness connector. Im still technically not ruling out spark either bc it could be the ignitor chip since swapping the coilpacks between cylinders didnt move the problem.
If you got a uniform white/blue spark, either try to get it to stop sparking while testing (wiggle test, etc), or jump sideways to a running compression test.
Old 11-07-2020, 01:07 PM   #23525
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Progress update, so it turned out to be a bad coil pack after all. I did inspect my valvetrain and all was good, I took the opportunity to clean up the valve cover a bit from oil stains.

When I bought the car the previous owner gave me 3 spare coil packs, it turns out 2/3 were bad. When I did my initial diagnosis I unknowingly swapped the broken coilpack with another broken one. It wasnt until the very end when everything was put back together after running the live compression test that I noticed the misfire moved to cylinder 4. I swapped coil packs 1 and 4, and problem moved to cylinder 1. I dug through my stash and kept swapping between the spares and cylinder 1 until the misfire went away. The car idled with 4 cylinders.

HOWEVER, and this is something new, when I went around the block for a spin, the car misfired really badly around 3k when I hit boost. At this point it could be a couple of things, so for my sake Ill be pursuing the Z33 coilpack upgrade as a safety precaution.

Thanks to you guys for helping me along!
Old 11-08-2020, 11:41 AM   #23526
burnsauto
Post Whore!

burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
Quote:
Progress update, so it turned out to be a bad coil pack after all. I did inspect my valvetrain and all was good, I took the opportunity to clean up the valve cover a bit from oil stains.

When I bought the car the previous owner gave me 3 spare coil packs, it turns out 2/3 were bad. When I did my initial diagnosis I unknowingly swapped the broken coilpack with another broken one. It wasnt until the very end when everything was put back together after running the live compression test that I noticed the misfire moved to cylinder 4. I swapped coil packs 1 and 4, and problem moved to cylinder 1. I dug through my stash and kept swapping between the spares and cylinder 1 until the misfire went away. The car idled with 4 cylinders.

HOWEVER, and this is something new, when I went around the block for a spin, the car misfired really badly around 3k when I hit boost. At this point it could be a couple of things, so for my sake Ill be pursuing the Z33 coilpack upgrade as a safety precaution.

Thanks to you guys for helping me along!
How long did you drive it for? Did it backfire once or did the engine start breaking up when you hit boost? Did it do this every time the car saw boost or was it an isolated thing?
Old 11-08-2020, 02:42 PM   #23527
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

After fixing the coil pack issue, I warmed it up and went for a spin around the block. It broke up every time I specifically hit boost

Old 11-08-2020, 06:30 PM   #23528
burnsauto
Post Whore!

burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
yeah your right, sounds like those 30 year old coils are starting to shit out on you...you know what to do at this point.

...sell the car.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:35 PM   #23529
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Yeah that's what I thought when I lost the cylinder. Oh the time has come

For the z33 coil packs can I just drop them in as is or will I need to swap the lower boot of the s14 coil pack with the z33 one? I know the harness needs to be modified and the igniter bypassed, I found a video on that. There aren't any write ups that I found with more details.

Old 11-08-2020, 06:54 PM   #23530
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
^theres a set of spitfire coilpacks up for sale in market place here...solid upgrade for sr20..plug and play. If u want simplicity
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 07:33 PM   #23531
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Thanks for the thought, I ordered everything I'll need already knowing it's new. I learned my lesson when taking free stuff in faith

Old 11-10-2020, 10:09 AM   #23532
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Yeah that's what I thought when I lost the cylinder. Oh the time has come

For the z33 coil packs can I just drop them in as is or will I need to swap the lower boot of the s14 coil pack with the z33 one? I know the harness needs to be modified and the igniter bypassed, I found a video on that. There aren't any write ups that I found with more details.

The S13/S14 coil packs don't have a boot you can swap over. They're pretty old tech. The Z33 should fit anyway. May have to play with spacers or a bracket to get them to bolt in place.

Wiring is easy; bypass ignitor, flip 2 pins at the coil connectors, done. Wiring Specialties sells an ignitor bypass that's plug n play. If moving pins at a connector are above your comfort level, buy an S15 coilpack harness and you'll be good to go.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:58 AM   #23533
Club33Enthusiast

Club33Enthusiast is an unknown quantity at this point
Where do the hc33 laurel builds go?
I tend to float around myself but if there is an hc33 Laurel guru anywhere hit me up please. I could use some info on my current build. Thanks!
Club33Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:05 PM   #23534
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt180 View Post
The S13/S14 coil packs don't have a boot you can swap over. They're pretty old tech. The Z33 should fit anyway. May have to play with spacers or a bracket to get them to bolt in place.

Wiring is easy; bypass ignitor, flip 2 pins at the coil connectors, done. Wiring Specialties sells an ignitor bypass that's plug n play. If moving pins at a connector are above your comfort level, buy an S15 coilpack harness and you'll be good to go.
Thanks for the boot clarification!

Im surprised how easy it is actually. I actually did opt for the WS Igniter Bypass harness so keen on using that along with modifying my WS Coilpack harness. I feel pretty comfortable with electrical so nothing scares me at this point. But you know, theres always an out...

... sell the car.

Thanks for all the tips gang!
Old 11-11-2020, 03:47 PM   #23535
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Coils won't fix your drivibility problem. That's a sensor, or wrong tune, mismatched engine management bits, etc.
Old 11-13-2020, 06:29 AM   #23536
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Does anyone know if the shape of the spare tire well is different between hatch and coupe? I'm talking basically the well itself, maybe an inch outward of the depressed area, I'm sure they get different further out than that. Looking at pics of them together and they look to be the same. Asking because I need to weld new shit in
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 05:48 PM   #23537
truckmtrS13
Zilvia Member

truckmtrS13 is a jewel in the roughtruckmtrS13 is a jewel in the roughtruckmtrS13 is a jewel in the roughtruckmtrS13 is a jewel in the roughtruckmtrS13 is a jewel in the roughtruckmtrS13 is a jewel in the roughtruckmtrS13 is a jewel in the rough
My trans is leaking from the speed sensor. Is the fix as easy as a new o-ring or should I replace the unit?
truckmtrS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 05:54 PM   #23538
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckmtrS13 View Post
My trans is leaking from the speed sensor. Is the fix as easy as a new o-ring or should I replace the unit?
Just need an o ring for that.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:25 PM   #23539
truckmtrS13
Zilvia Member

truckmtrS13 is a jewel in the roughtruckmtrS13 is a jewel in the roughtruckmtrS13 is a jewel in the roughtruckmtrS13 is a jewel in the roughtruckmtrS13 is a jewel in the roughtruckmtrS13 is a jewel in the roughtruckmtrS13 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt180 View Post
Just need an o ring for that.
Thanks mate!
truckmtrS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 07:12 PM   #23540
Yycschassis

Yycschassis is an unknown quantity at this point
Why is my sr20 misfiring?

i have a 180sx, with a blacktop sr20det in it, and a t28 turbo. It runs alright when cruising around, but it feels like i dont have much power. When i go full throttle, it misfires, over and over and it happens pretty much as soon as i put the pedal to the floor. Anyone know what this could be? I was thinking maybe injectors, or the FPR, but im honestly not sure about anything. Feel free to message me on instagram or reply here, my instagram is: that_180sx. Thank you!
Yycschassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 08:47 PM   #23541
imbored205
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
imbored205 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Replaced the upper timing chain tensioner and now my 95 KA wont start.

Ran normal and no problems starting before. Now when I try to start it, it just cranks and never starts

Both distributor sensors and intake sensors are in. I don't think anything else was disconnected when taking off the valve cover/front cover. The chain wasn't moved.

Followed these two guides and cant get it to start.
https://www.nicoclub.com/archives/24...or-timing.html.

What do?

EDIT 11/16/2020

Nevermind I got it to work after trying 10 more times... I guess it has to be 100% precise and not a nanometer off.

Last edited by imbored205; 11-16-2020 at 05:00 PM..
imbored205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:19 AM   #23542
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yycschassis View Post
i have a 180sx, with a blacktop sr20det in it, and a t28 turbo. It runs alright when cruising around, but it feels like i dont have much power. When i go full throttle, it misfires, over and over and it happens pretty much as soon as i put the pedal to the floor. Anyone know what this could be? I was thinking maybe injectors, or the FPR, but im honestly not sure about anything. Feel free to message me on instagram or reply here, my instagram is: that_180sx. Thank you!
did it run good before, and you changed something, and NOW it misfires?

gotta start with the basics

F. A. S. T.

Fuel

Air

Spark

Timing

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 01:57 PM   #23543
Yycschassis

Yycschassis is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
did it run good before, and you changed something, and NOW it misfires?

gotta start with the basics

F. A. S. T.

Fuel

Air

Spark

Timing

It was like this ever since I bought it. I didn?t notice until a couple days after I bought it, but it was definitely from the last owner. I changed the spark plugs already as well.
Yycschassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 05:38 PM   #23544
deolio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yycschassis View Post
It was like this ever since I bought it. I didn?t notice until a couple days after I bought it, but it was definitely from the last owner. I changed the spark plugs already as well.
Vacuum and/or boost leak would be my first guess.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:31 AM   #23545
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Hey all, wanted to follow-up on my ignition break-up issue. The Z33 coils with new NGK Iridiums (gapped to 0.3) cleared everything up. The idle is noticeably smoother, revs are smoother and acceleration response is much better overall. Reved the engine out during a wide open pull till redline, no breakups! Im a happy camper

Cheers fellas!
Old 11-23-2020, 01:04 PM   #23546
Elroyson99

Elroyson99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Rps13 tailights

I have a set of rps 13 taillight for my s13 and I want to install them, but I don't know what kind of bulb housing these require. Does anyone know where can I find the bulb housing for on of these? Are there cars that have this type that I can take it off of?
Elroyson99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:46 PM   #23547
kevinyvng

kevinyvng is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone by chance have done an universal condenser + custom AC lines? How much $$ does it cost.

Can't find a used WORKING condenser for my 92 240sx. None on ebay , offerup, nor facebook lol.
kevinyvng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 05:23 PM   #23548
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNFP1225KT-...Cclp%3A2332490

This kit and have lines made at ur local hydraulic hose company set u back maybe another $100-200

Oh keep an eye on here for s13 part out

Oh n on ebay theres an used s13 condensor listed 89-90yr
Old 11-30-2020, 10:10 AM   #23549
kevinyvng

kevinyvng is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNFP1225KT-...Cclp%3A2332490

This kit and have lines made at ur local hydraulic hose company set u back maybe another $100-200

Oh keep an eye on here for s13 part out

Oh n on ebay theres an used s13 condensor listed 89-90yr
Thank you for the reply! I've noticed that the 89-90 condenser's fitting in the front is completely different. And was told to find a 91-94 only unless I want custom lines.

Currently I'm not able to find any proper custom AC line shop nearby, I live in SoCal. But I'll be looking around more and even calling the out of state shops.
kevinyvng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 04:06 PM   #23550
S14rebuild
BANNED

Any hydraulic hose supply company can make the lines for u..just bring them the correct ends and line lenght and diameter, they can make them