Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:45 PM   #241
Slidin' Sam
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Slidin' Sam is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Off topic a little: You said your building a s14? Have you always drifted a s13 and your now switching to a s14, or have you gone kinda back and forth? I have found that the s14 almost drifts itself...just clutch kick, gas, and go, lol. ALMOST. Definately a different driving experience than the s13.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:27 AM   #242
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
MrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrChow
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspec240 View Post
If your gonna do a cam tho post it inside so you can see exactly what you are doing to make the car react, have someone on the outside too but mainly you want one on the inside.

I have an old one from the outside
Yup yup! My friend is wanting to do actually for me. We actually got 3 cameras to setup. One for the inside, another being shot from a outside and we dunno where the 3rd should go.
"It's stiff and hurts my livers! I'M A HANDLING GOD!"
WTT: 2 way for 1.5 way LSD
MrChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:47 AM   #243
jspec240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (19)
jspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidin' Sam View Post
Off topic a little: You said your building a s14? Have you always drifted a s13 and your now switching to a s14, or have you gone kinda back and forth? I have found that the s14 almost drifts itself...just clutch kick, gas, and go, lol. ALMOST. Definately a different driving experience than the s13.
I have drifted my s14 like 3 yrs ago, and yea I have been drifting an s13 so its gonna be different. I wasnt able to go out this weekend but will week after next. I cant wait to get in and hit the track again.

661 sliders Gymkhana @ buttonwillow
http://zilvia.net/f/south-western-st...-sessions.html

>> Bakersfield Hook up thread <<
jspec240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:31 PM   #244
jspec240
Nissanaholic!

jspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfectionjspec240 is close to perfection
Anyone tried the Yamato garage suspension parts?

Old 06-29-2010, 11:02 PM   #245
KA240SX808
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
KA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to KA240SX808 Send a message via MSN to KA240SX808
Thread kind of died off, was wondering if anyone else had input?
* PigNose SMIC Grille/Vent P# 62697-44F00 *
LMK What you guys got
KA240SX808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:39 PM   #246
deuce40sxftw
BANNED

Trader Rating: (0)
deuce40sxftw is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChow View Post
Yup yup! My friend is wanting to do actually for me. We actually got 3 cameras to setup. One for the inside, another being shot from a outside and we dunno where the 3rd should go.
put the 3rd one on top of the car or somewhere that you can see both wheels of one side, so you can see when it starts sliding and when u counter steer
deuce40sxftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:01 PM   #247
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo240R View Post
Thread kind of died off, was wondering if anyone else had input?
input for what.....everything that could possibly be answered about drifting....kinda has been.
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:06 AM   #248
h2v7
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (3)
h2v7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
so doubble clutching.

i know about it but i dont really use it ever.

when is a situation where this would come in handy?
h2v7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:17 PM   #249
theboy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
theboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
when you start falling out of your power band, and need more tire speed and smoke
theboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:23 PM   #250
MANOlOS14
Leaky Injector

MANOlOS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
i saw this on a video, i personally havent tried it.

Ur in 3rd gear about to enter the turn, u pull the ebrake going still straight, shift down to 2nd begin to turn and release the ebrake and after that pretty much throttle control and steering...
MANOlOS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:43 PM   #251
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2v7 View Post
so doubble clutching.

i know about it but i dont really use it ever.

when is a situation where this would come in handy?
if you don't know what it does....don't ask.

Before the introduction of transmission synchronizers (in the 1920s) and helical cut gears, double clutching was a technique required to prevent damage to an automobile's gear system. Due to the difficulty and most often unnecessary redundancy involved in learning the technique, coupled with the advent of synchronized gearing systems, it has largely fallen into disuse. However, drivers of large trucks often use the double clutching technique when unable to keep the transmission unloaded during shifting, as large vehicles are usually equipped with older, simpler and more durable unsynchronized gearboxes.
The purpose of the double-clutch technique is to aid in matching the rotational speed of the input shaft being driven by the engine to the rotational speed of the gear you wish to select (directly connected to rotating wheels). When the speeds are matched, the gear will engage smoothly and no clutch is required. If the speeds are not matched, the dog teeth on the collar will "crash" or grate as they attempt to fit into the holes on the desired gear. A modern synchromesh gearbox accomplishes this synchronization more efficiently. However, when the engine speed is significantly different than the transmission speed, the desired gear can often not be engaged even in a fully synchronized gearbox. An example is trying to shift into a gear while travelling outside the gear's speed or directional range, such as accidentally into 1st from near the top of 2nd, or intentionally from reverse to a forward gear whilst still moving at speed.
Double clutching, although time consuming, eases gear selection when an extended delay or variance exists between engine and transmission speeds.
Although double clutching is a testing requirement when obtaining a commercial driver's license, many experienced truckers have learned when it is possible to shift gears without using the clutch. This is known as float gears or skip shift, which thus eliminates the clutch except for starting and stopping.
Conversely, in order to shift down, engine RPM must be increased while the gearbox is in neutral and the clutch is either engaged or disengaged. This requires the driver to shift into neutral, apply throttle to bring the RPM up to a suitable speed, and finally shift into gear. This operation can be very difficult to master, as it requires the driver to gauge the speed of the vehicle and throttle accurately. Double clutching occurs if the clutch pedal is released while matching engine speeds in neutral and again engaged prior to shifting into the next gear.

oh, and to answer your question...it should be never.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:44 PM   #252
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboy View Post
when you start falling out of your power band, and need more tire speed and smoke

that is clutch kicking.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:46 PM   #253
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANOlOS14 View Post
i saw this on a video, i personally havent tried it.

Ur in 3rd gear about to enter the turn, u pull the ebrake going still straight, shift down to 2nd begin to turn and release the ebrake and after that pretty much throttle control and steering...

that is a pussy way of entering a drift.....aggressive would to clutch kick in 3rd, and down shift to 2nd. but then again...it does depend on the track and how much room you have. If you were entering a turn with a wall, and the turn was a 2nd gear drift, then you would do that. The whole shifting thing does nothing. He's basically slowing the car down using the e-brake to enter the corner at the appropriate speed.

obviously this is my opinion since I haven't seen the video. Post the video, and it'll help more on what he is actually trying to do.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:20 PM   #254
renegade_ewok
Zilvia Junkie

renegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to behold
Getting that touch of angle, that bit of slide, is the main point of most techniques.

I love using the kick to get the rear to pop out, but the ebrake is adjustment on the way in to keep the line right. If I feel the car going to shallow into the turn and I want to run an outside line... hold the ebrake and rev the shit out of the car to bring it up and re-accelerate into it worst case scenario...

But if you do it right you don't need to slow down...
renegade_ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:09 AM   #255
jspec240
Nissanaholic!

Ive been working on my s14 still I didnt get it started due to $ issues but still in the works. have been in my s13 and this thread has done alot for me.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:42 AM   #256
ericcastro
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
ericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfectionericcastro is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via MSN to ericcastro Send a message via Yahoo to ericcastro
Quote:
Originally Posted by fckillerbee View Post
Conversely, in order to shift down, engine RPM must be increased while the gearbox is in neutral and the clutch is either engaged or disengaged. This requires the driver to shift into neutral, apply throttle to bring the RPM up to a suitable speed, and finally shift into gear. This operation can be very difficult to master, as it requires the driver to gauge the speed of the vehicle and throttle accurately. Double clutching occurs if the clutch pedal is released while matching engine speeds in neutral and again engaged prior to shifting into the next gear.

oh, and to answer your question...it should be never.
I thought everyone knew that if you keep your foot in the exact same spot on the gas, put the clutch in and down shift, the engines increases RPM, but the drive shafts RPM is exactly the same.
Handy in the snow, wet, racing, or just wanna down shift without the engine braking and making you lean forwards a little.
ericcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:47 PM   #257
h2v7
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (3)
h2v7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
so does anyone doubble clutch on the drift track?
h2v7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #258
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
MrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrChow
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2v7 View Post
so does anyone doubble clutch on the drift track?
The simple answer is, No.

Tanner Foust said it the best. Drifting is like a bunch of emergency stop packed into a few seconds. Or something along those lines.
Is there really time to double clutch or to remember? No and there's no real use for it.
"It's stiff and hurts my livers! I'M A HANDLING GOD!"
WTT: 2 way for 1.5 way LSD

Last edited by MrChow; 07-02-2010 at 07:02 PM..
MrChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:02 AM   #259
dkwasherexd
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
dkwasherexd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dkwasherexd
why are all the events moved away???
dkwasherexd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:46 PM   #260
renegade_ewok
Zilvia Junkie

renegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to beholdrenegade_ewok is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcastro View Post
I thought everyone knew that if you keep your foot in the exact same spot on the gas, put the clutch in and down shift, the engines increases RPM, but the drive shafts RPM is exactly the same.
Handy in the snow, wet, racing, or just wanna down shift without the engine braking and making you lean forwards a little.
Yeah, this is nice and lets you downshift into a corner without brake locking. I kinda just figured it out when I started driving aggressively as it happened a few times and use it when I dont need a hard weight transition.
renegade_ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:29 PM   #261
jspec240
Nissanaholic!

^^^ same here I figured out that out when I wasnt realy even trying to.. when you have a good set up its kinda just happens if you down shift in almost any turn, its just really hard on the drivetrain when you are doing it at a much higher rpm.

I really dont like the term 'clutch kick' cause it reminds me of when I learned how to do my first burnout. I perfer clutch control lol....

I got a K sport hydraulic ebrake so im gona have get used to it so thats what Ill be practicing on.

Any one here drift with a dogbox??? Im assuming you would only be using trany/eng braking or ebrake, but Ive always wanted one

Old 07-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #262
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

dog box still has a clutch. you have to use it to shift down. so "clutch kicking" would also work.

and I kick my clutch...not control it when i initiate. and it's a violent kick. WHAAAAM!
Old 07-07-2010, 04:31 PM   #263
slamburger
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (24)
slamburger is just really niceslamburger is just really niceslamburger is just really niceslamburger is just really niceslamburger is just really niceslamburger is just really niceslamburger is just really niceslamburger is just really niceslamburger is just really nice
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
this is why i dont really like clutch kick, its to hard a snap. I like to initiate smoother by braking or ebrake.
slamburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:50 PM   #264
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

or you can just not throw the car into the corner hard...i use clutch kick just to break traction. minimal angle is pretty easy even in my ka.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:29 AM   #265
jspec240
Nissanaholic!

not sayin I dont clutch kick usually initally or if I have slowed down and need to get the wheels spining quick again.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #266
sleeper108
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
sleeper108 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
since I'm on a KA24E, I will be attempting a 3rd gear entry using the e-brake + clutch kick to initiate. Last time (same track) I wasnt able to get enough speed to clutch kick in 3rd, and 90% of my runs looked like shit. (the other 10% noone was on the track, so I just used the oval to build up speed, and then attacked the first turn)

I want more power
after seeing castro's videos though, I feel ashamed of my skills (or lack there of) lol
sleeper108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:29 PM   #267
jspec240
Nissanaholic!

heres one of the old proverbs... practice makes perfect.. lol na but yea you will need some power to hit the really big, long drifts, there are people that can but they have practiced or been doing it most of their life.

Keep it up man you will get there.

Drew

Old 07-09-2010, 12:54 PM   #268
LimeLite Racing
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
LimeLite Racing is close to perfectionLimeLite Racing is close to perfectionLimeLite Racing is close to perfectionLimeLite Racing is close to perfectionLimeLite Racing is close to perfectionLimeLite Racing is close to perfectionLimeLite Racing is close to perfectionLimeLite Racing is close to perfectionLimeLite Racing is close to perfectionLimeLite Racing is close to perfectionLimeLite Racing is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
I'm a kick, floor, feather type of drift enterer.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:55 PM   #269
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

yeah i'm still ka too, i'm a kick, and foot to the floor, all about steering control for me. I only lift to scrub speed and then back on the gas.

castro and I have been driving on a ka for over 2 years now....when you have two years of back to back months of drifting and instructing, I hope you can drift as well as us underpowered drivers.

and yes, practice makes perfect, I could show you videos of me spinning out all day....now, the only time I spin is because i'm trying to get too much angle, or be too aggressive...but rarely happens.

and trust me, there is always room for improvement.

p.s. when I say practice makes perfect, castro was never able to clip walls until he learned where they were through bashing his car into haybales. I have also gone through 3 sets of body kits since I started....one time I hit a pilon competing for a 1-2 spot.

there was this kit

went back to stock

then purchased the nismo kit (this was the big plastic barrier)

but just like everyone...practice makes perfect

little inspiration for you begginers....

nothing in life is easy, you have to fail...before you succeed.

below is my ka spinning 18x9.5 heavy ass xxr wheels....so don't blame power...it's line, weight transfer, and balls to the wall for the underpowered guys....its actually takes more effort to drive a higher horsepower car (more finess)
Old 07-10-2010, 12:14 AM   #270
jspec240
Nissanaholic!

Me three.. its the easiest way to kick it and keep control