Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #1621
tauntdevil
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
tauntdevil is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
@Aca240,
Next time I go to P1 again, Ill say Hi and if you arent taking anyone for a ride, ill go with you to give you some pointers. Good job though, I just cant watch video currently do to work computers not able to handle the epicness.

S14 KA NA two cylinders, 75whp limper
tauntdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #1622
aca240

Trader Rating: (0)
aca240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That would be awesome! I'm going to be there next saturday, so if your around be sure to come say hi. Ill be in the red s10 blazer flat towing a dark green s13 coupe.
aca240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #1623
tauntdevil
Zilvia Junkie

tauntdevil is a well-known jackass
I wont be at the next P1 but maybe the one after depending on how my luck is. xD

S14 KA NA two cylinders, 75whp limper
tauntdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:09 PM   #1624
jasoncanseeoh
Zilvia Member

jasoncanseeoh is an unknown quantity at this point
How does one pull off massive angle and get backwards? Just go fast and toss it?

kthxbai.
jasoncanseeoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #1625
badass8
Zilvia Junkie

badass8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Nissan 240sx Drift- 10/10 - YouTube

Here's my video only my second event. Stock KA24DE.
I need to practice a lot more but any advice will really help.
Looks like I have to focus more on throttle control and less steering.
badass8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #1626
KA240SX808
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
KA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to KA240SX808 Send a message via MSN to KA240SX808
What was your Rear Tire PSI @?
Also what kind of tires & sizes are you running?
Saw you brace yourself against the door, were you wearing your Lap belt?
- 4pt Harness even on a stock seat helps a bunch.
Also give the guy in front more room so you still have play area if he messes up, saw you had to wait for him a few times.
When you go off the track I suggest slowing down and regaining control, saw you struggle with the wheel while your wipers went off to try and get it sideways again.
Just take your time, get back on track and straightened out, start again with the next turn, no need to get all antsy with keeping it sideways when you go off track.

Other than that it just looks like you need to keep more shallow angles, keep the rear end broken loose and make as many continuous slides as possible. Also stop trying to chase the wheel, your hands are all over the place. Let the wheel/the car do it's thing and catch the wheel when necessary.
- Don't worry I used to be the same, just keep practicing and try to relax on the steering.

I know your a beginner but I say as many continuous as possible because of the surface. There's a lot of dirt on the course so front grip is hindered a lot. The more the rear tires are gripping, the more your front is struggling to keep grip while your trying to turn and the rear wheels are pushing forward cause you to understeer/scrub.

Once you break the rear end loose your front has more grip/control cause now your not trying to fight the forward push of the rear tires as much.
* PigNose SMIC Grille/Vent P# 62697-44F00 *
LMK What you guys got
KA240SX808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #1627
cchondro
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
cchondro is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just stay on throttle more
the same thing used to happen to me when I slid my girls coupe
I didnt stay on throttle and it griped up because its under powered.

Just focus more on not lifting and you should be straight
cchondro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:59 AM   #1628
badass8
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA240SX808 View Post
What was your Rear Tire PSI @?
Also what kind of tires & sizes are you running?
Saw you brace yourself against the door, were you wearing your Lap belt?
- 4pt Harness even on a stock seat helps a bunch.
Also give the guy in front more room so you still have play area if he messes up, saw you had to wait for him a few times.
When you go off the track I suggest slowing down and regaining control, saw you struggle with the wheel while your wipers went off to try and get it sideways again.
Just take your time, get back on track and straightened out, start again with the next turn, no need to get all antsy with keeping it sideways when you go off track.

Other than that it just looks like you need to keep more shallow angles, keep the rear end broken loose and make as many continuous slides as possible. Also stop trying to chase the wheel, your hands are all over the place. Let the wheel/the car do it's thing and catch the wheel when necessary.
- Don't worry I used to be the same, just keep practicing and try to relax on the steering.

I know your a beginner but I say as many continuous as possible because of the surface. There's a lot of dirt on the course so front grip is hindered a lot. The more the rear tires are gripping, the more your front is struggling to keep grip while your trying to turn and the rear wheels are pushing forward cause you to understeer/scrub.

Once you break the rear end loose your front has more grip/control cause now your not trying to fight the forward push of the rear tires as much.

That's the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Thank you very much.
My tires were 15inch at that time they were at 48psi.
As for the seat its a Sparco but the sliders are really just too big, my knee locked when the clutch was all the way in and I know that's bad/dangerous but I didn't have a choice. So that's my first priority is to find better brackets/sliders so I sit closer.

Haha and I do agree my hands were very sloppy just trying to prevent going off the track since I have never been on such a small track before.

Thanks again for your input. Just gotta keep practicing.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #1629
sweeTTurbo

sweeTTurbo is an unknown quantity at this point
nvm

#spacecleaninginprogress

Last edited by sweeTTurbo; 08-08-2013 at 05:42 PM..
sweeTTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #1630
di-devol
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
di-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enoughdi-devol will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
What are you driving, and what power you have?

When I first started I spun out alot due to not counter steering fast enough. Have you tried ripping the e-brake to initiate? Might be easier to start with that and feel the car slide out and work on timing the gas once you get it sideways.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #1631
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
iamtheyi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Clutch kick is when you are full throttle and kick the clutch. Not 0 throttle

iamtheyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #1632
sweeTTurbo

nvm. I think I got this

Last edited by sweeTTurbo; 08-08-2013 at 05:41 PM..
Old 08-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #1633
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

uh so why'd you delete your posts? Would have been helpful to other noobs who don't know what clutch kicking is. So it isn't explained for the tenth millionth bazillionth time.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:13 AM   #1634
sweeTTurbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheyi View Post
uh so why'd you delete your posts? Would have been helpful to other noobs who don't know what clutch kicking is. So it isn't explained for the tenth millionth bazillionth time.
Awww...sorry. I thought I was doing a world a favor by cleaning my crap from this glorious thread...but since you asked and to be helpful to other noobs to come, here it is:

1. This thread is seriously the best noob drifter thread on the whole wide web. Confirmed.
[I don't even have Z or S (I drive a sweet turbo skyline) but I find that Zilvia.net beats all other Nissan forums by far with information and knowledge and some good drama from time to time, lol. I come here mostly to read since 2010.]
but back on topic...
2. I recommend to read the WHOLE thread. And I mean - all of it. The 164 pages on mobile seems a bit of a stretch but totally worth your time. Better yet, go old school and read all 55 pages on your computer. Why? Because you can watch all the videos in more detail to pick up some techniques from pros.
3. As iamtheyi mentioned, the clutch kicking was explained "for the tenth millionth bazillionth time" (i.e. post #402 by neiko in this thread). So, don't ask stupid basic questions like how to do a clutch kicking or how much pressure should I run in my rear tires. Just read this sucker - it's all there.
4. After you got all excited and ready to try - take it to the track and kick that bitch! No excuses. It is cheaper at the track even if you need to drive three hours to get there. Way cheaper than impounded car, demerit points and stunting tickets. Ask me how I know.

ps: you do need to screen through some piss matches, "penis on penis" and "sanded vaginas" action but other than that this thread is golden.

THANKS AGAIN!

Last edited by sweeTTurbo; 08-09-2013 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: I can't spell
Old 08-09-2013, 08:37 AM   #1635
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

Thank you suh. It helps other people who are reading through the thread.

I'm surprised you read through the entire thread actually and found a post that had what clutch kicking was lol. That's pretty GG.

Also, I realize after reading my post that it came across kind douchey. I apologize sir.
GOOD LUCK SLIDING!

Old 08-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #1636
sweeTTurbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheyi View Post
Thank you suh. It helps other people who are reading through the thread.

I'm surprised you read through the entire thread actually and found a post that had what clutch kicking was lol. That's pretty GG.

Also, I realize after reading my post that it came across kind douchey. I apologize sir.
GOOD LUCK SLIDING!
Lol, no need in appology, its all good and you did have a good point.

Last edited by sweeTTurbo; 08-23-2014 at 10:48 PM..
Old 08-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #1637
Chrisk0

Chrisk0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you all very much for the awesome advice. I love reading about these. I haven't drifted enough to give my two cents. If I knew a relatively safe way to learn to drift I'd do it a lot more. Like Flybert said, I am not really big into wrecking my car, and I don't know where to practice. I thought of a course but I don't want to look like an idiot, and every where around my neck of the woods is flooded with police. The first time I ever got to slidin' just a little bit sideways I was freaking out because I had no idea what I was doing.
Chrisk0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #1638
whyteboi
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
whyteboi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk0 View Post
Thank you all very much for the awesome advice. I love reading about these. I haven't drifted enough to give my two cents. If I knew a relatively safe way to learn to drift I'd do it a lot more. Like Flybert said, I am not really big into wrecking my car, and I don't know where to practice. I thought of a course but I don't want to look like an idiot, and every where around my neck of the woods is flooded with police. The first time I ever got to slidin' just a little bit sideways I was freaking out because I had no idea what I was doing.
Dude just go to an event. There are people there to help and give you tips. Who cares if you suck. Everyone sucked at some point. Just go out and have fun. You'll learn so much at an event.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #1639
badass8
Zilvia Junkie

Event #2 Nissan 240sx Drifting - YouTube

Second Event Drifting at Grange.
Let me know what you guys think.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #1640
KA240SX808
Zilvia Addict

KA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enough
Definitely a hard course fir someone still learning.
2 reasons:
- It's real narrow and pretty technical being tight with a lit of switch backs
- Lots of Crap on the track so if you haven't broken the rear end out before you get to the turn, the front justunders

Looks like you need to keep your hands to your self. Or stop trying to chase or help the wheel.
You WILL NOT be able to turn the wheel faster than it can turn itself. Let it do it's thing. Only time you should be reaching for it, is to stop it to keep proper angle for said turn, and to make your adjustments, or to throw the car back the other way.

Also try to keep some of your angles shallow on certain turns. You don't have enough power and pushing grip to have big angles and keep going till the next turn.

Other than that just keep at it. Looks like your having fun lol.
LMK What you guys got
Old 09-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #1641
badass8
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA240SX808 View Post
Definitely a hard course fir someone still learning.
2 reasons:
- It's real narrow and pretty technical being tight with a lit of switch backs
- Lots of Crap on the track so if you haven't broken the rear end out before you get to the turn, the front justunders

Looks like you need to keep your hands to your self. Or stop trying to chase or help the wheel.
You WILL NOT be able to turn the wheel faster than it can turn itself. Let it do it's thing. Only time you should be reaching for it, is to stop it to keep proper angle for said turn, and to make your adjustments, or to throw the car back the other way.

Also try to keep some of your angles shallow on certain turns. You don't have enough power and pushing grip to have big angles and keep going till the next turn.

Other than that just keep at it. Looks like your having fun lol.
Yeah there was a lot more dirt on the track for this event. It was pretty tough considering my 240sx is on a stock KA24DE couldn't get enough speed or torque to continue a drift for very long, I can only clutch kick so much until it boggs out.

Haha you are totally right my steering is still a bit sloppy. I plan to a bigger track for my next event so I can be more aggressive and not worry about running off the track.
Thank you for the advice Ill keep it in mind for my next event.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:36 PM   #1642
KA240SX808
Zilvia Addict

Bogs out after clutch kicking? It should sound like it's gonna break, but not bog out lol.
LMK What you guys got
Old 10-22-2013, 09:44 PM   #1643
Sprayberry

Sprayberry is an unknown quantity at this point
Subd, great advice in this thread for sure!
Sprayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #1644
aca240

Got some more video, let me know what you think. I now have Feal 441 coilovers, stealth custom fab braces and got some sticky kumho XS on the front wheels.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #1645
KA240SX808
Zilvia Addict

3rd run was pretty good.
What's your rear tire specs? Brand/Model? PSI? Size? Wheel Size?
Looks like you could use a little less traction on a bigger course like that for a KA.
Them XS' up front helped a lot in a few situations lol.
You got it, just gatta keep your speed up and angle minimal enough to make it to the next turn but still keep it sideways/traction broken.
LMK What you guys got
Old 11-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #1646
aca240

Rears are junkyard used tires, most in the 205/50/17 to 225/45/17 range. I went out with my first set at 70psi- felt awesome until the tires exploded on the second lap fml... second set was at 65psi and once again exploded on like the third lap. Then I was on my last set of tires at 36psi because i had to drive home on them and was paranoid.

My number one dilemma right now is whether or not I should buy used vs. new tires. I've been getting used tires for 25$ mounted and balanced but they usually don't last very long, vs when I used to run brand new federal 595's at 70 psi they felt great and lasted longer but cost a shit ton. Any opinions on new vs. used tires?
Old 11-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #1647
iamtheyi
Nissanaholic!

I run new. Last longer, drive home on the same tires no problem. Use those same tires for dailying for 3 to 4 more months down to nothing. I figure it offsets the cost of used tires for only 4 runs lol

Old 11-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #1648
KA240SX808
Zilvia Addict

Same, after doing the whole used tire constantly changing them I got over it and figured that I would save atleast $200 by buying new tires and having them mounted once and not have to purchase another pair for atleast 4months.

Not to mention I can run 60psi and not have to worry about the tire exploding. Or having enough tire to drive home on etc.

Your KA sounds like it could use a Tune up or some help.
Any mods as far as that goes?
A simple exhsut shop 3" Exhaust from the Header back and a nice 2.75" Intake can do wonders on a KA. Advance timing to 25* and you should have a nice power increase.
LMK What you guys got
Old 11-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #1649
tloh
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
tloh is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
flicking/feint with throttle
brake to transfer

power > technical mobo jumbo
tloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #1650
aca240

Yea I'm going to buy new for the upcoming event. My KA has zero engine mods, like stock airbox and even stock exhaust. I have a V8 in my garage that I am prepping to drop in so I don't feel like spending any money on the KA. I'm just going to run new tires at high pressure and make sure I don't hot lap too much and pop them.