Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:06 PM   #1
K_never_broke_again
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
K_never_broke_again has a spectacular aura aboutK_never_broke_again has a spectacular aura aboutK_never_broke_again has a spectacular aura aboutK_never_broke_again has a spectacular aura aboutK_never_broke_again has a spectacular aura aboutK_never_broke_again has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
sr20det injector decapping, good idea or not?

So the other day, in my search to find the cheapest possible way to make 350hp, I came across this interesting ghetto injector mod(decapping). For anyone who doesn't know what it is, you basically grind off the pintle cap of the injector to increase the flow of the injector. From what i've read, it can nearly double your flow rate, but at the expense of consistency across injectors and the effectiveness of fuel atomization. I noticed it's mostly truck people who do this, but I figure if it works for them theres a chance it'll work for me. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Or any insight on how risky it would be?
K_never_broke_again is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2019, 06:15 PM   #2
Turbosauce74

Turbosauce74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Man I'll sell you injectors used for cheap so you don't have to mess something up more serious. Injectors aren't even expensive.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Turbosauce74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:24 PM   #3
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Theres no reason for this...injectors are cheap enough...do it right or ull end up with a blown motor and alot less $$
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:50 AM   #4
EFITTZY
Zilvia Junkie

EFITTZY is making a name for him/her selfEFITTZY is making a name for him/her self
No.... just no.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:11 PM   #5
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

jedi03 is on a distinguished road
I am seeing this a lot with modders...witch hunter actually debunked a lot of myths behind this, it does leave risk of damaging injector but yes you can increase flow on certain types of injectors...it does change the spray pattern as well as the variance between injectors so balancing them could be tricky too...
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:49 PM   #6
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post
I am seeing this a lot with modders...witch hunter actually debunked a lot of myths behind this, it does leave risk of damaging injector but yes you can increase flow on certain types of injectors...it does change the spray pattern as well as the variance between injectors so balancing them could be tricky too...

So.....dont fuking do it.

Just cause it "works" doesnt mean its right and/or proper.

To.OP....

If u take pride in ur car/build buy proper injectors

But by all means do as u want, its ur car n ur $
Old 12-03-2019, 09:16 PM   #7
K_never_broke_again
Leaky Injector

K_never_broke_again has a spectacular aura aboutK_never_broke_again has a spectacular aura aboutK_never_broke_again has a spectacular aura aboutK_never_broke_again has a spectacular aura aboutK_never_broke_again has a spectacular aura aboutK_never_broke_again has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post
The variance between injectors and the fact that I wouldn't know what the fuel output is without getting them tested is the main thing that I worry about. When I get it tuned what am I supposed to say... "yeah man its got decapped stock injectors, not really sure what cc but people say its about double, give or take 5% on each one." I find it hard to believe any tuner would take that risk lol.

When I get the funds for the upgrade in a few months, and if I go the safc tuning route, ill probably end up trying it. I guess theres a chance I could destroy my engine, but hey, someone has to be the first to try it, right? Gotta risk it for the biscuit.
K_never_broke_again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:58 PM   #8
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Terrible idea. Even eBay injectors would be less risky. And forget about the safc. Get a tune to match your injectors with either a rom tune or standalone(given the nature of the post I doubt you’d shell out the cash). You will also likely want a z32 maf to accommodate the extra power.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:37 AM   #9
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_never_broke_again View Post
safc
Don't, just don't.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:38 AM   #10
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
350hp on a safc and de-capped injectors?

Hell why not, should last at least 5 minutes

Look on the bright side, you saved like $500 but then the new engine costs 3k so hmmm not really a good deal
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:36 PM   #11
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
350hp on a safc and de-capped injectors?

Hell why not, should last at least 5 minutes
That's exactly 4 mins and 50 secs longer than his last engine...….
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:43 PM   #12
240msh
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
240msh is making his/her stupidity well-known240msh is making his/her stupidity well-known240msh is making his/her stupidity well-known240msh is making his/her stupidity well-known240msh is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
you can literally get Subaru 550s for like $100 lol
Old 12-04-2019, 01:17 PM   #13
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

my tuner didn't care what physical status my injectors were, just brand/flow and what other power mods were on it as well as my car being mechanically sound...Very few injectors can be modified to increase the flow and still work correctly. Usually the spray patterns will be poor and their flow rates will be very mismatched after modification.
The only injectors we currently modify are the pink or blue top-feed Denso's and the yellow side-feeds that are used in the late model Subaru. These will typically flow within a few percent of one another after modification. We perform this operation using a lathe or mill to prevent injector damage. See our Subaru Mods page page for pricing.

https://witchhunter.com/injectorfaq1.php#do

so do it if you want, but getting a properly sized set of injectors would be best practice
Old 12-04-2019, 05:40 PM   #14
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Or just buy some topfeeds and be done. Sidefeed injectors are literally a 30-40 year old design lol
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:07 PM   #15
S14rebuild
BANNED

This is a thread i expected to see from 10 yrs ago......

Come on all the technology out there, newer injector styles, fair prices and many options for tuning

Safc=fail

Decapped=fail
Old 12-05-2019, 06:56 AM   #16
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
OP

Screw these guys and what they tell you. This is America. It's YOUR car.

Also, I'm interested in your car with the blown engine after you're done with it. I'll come down and pick it up and make you a fair cash offer. Keep in touch friend, let me know how it works out.
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:14 AM   #17
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

lol I additionally have a set of sti 550s...im sure there have been some revisions along the way!
Old 12-07-2019, 12:52 PM   #18
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
kyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
When you make more power you have less room for error and inconsistency and want more precise control over everything running the engine, (which is why SAFC are bad for making big power) so its counter productive to do this. youre trying to make more power with less precision.

does it do what you think it does? yes
Is it a good idea? no
Old 12-23-2019, 01:43 AM   #19
1988montecarloss
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (24)
1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240msh View Post
you can literally get Subaru 550s for like $100 lol
this x2

gonna cost $80 to have the decaps flow tested so youre at least not pulling a guess out of your ass as to what they flow and theyre still not gonna be anywhere near close to each other