Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:02 PM   #1
s13driftnut
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (18)
s13driftnut is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Just an Ordinary Type-X build

Hey guys/girls,

So I've been a member for quite some time now, I have owned quite a few 240's one of which is my first build ever and that is my signature, it holds a special place in my heart. I have always thought it would be cool to do a build thread about one of my cars, simply for the purpose of being able to reflect on what the car was when I received it, and how far it has come. I've only ever done one before and that was on an old site from Michigan called Xceedspeed, but that was a failure for me since I only did photos from the beginning (then forgot) and added photos of it completed ashamed of myself!! But since that long time ago, I've completed several cars for customers, (Side Builds) as well as one for myself, that one being a 1994 Montego Blue FD Rx7 W/LS1 and T56.

So the most common question I receive from people now that I sold my Rx7, is "Why in the world would you sell your Rx7 and go back to a 240" and there is a simple answer to that question. I'm dumb and hooked on these cars for whatever reason! I'm not lying either, I truly love these cars, everything about them, so for most of you this will be a boring thread. I don't do crazy aero packages, I don't do widebody, I don't drift, I love these cars the way they were intended and I have an OCD complex about my cars being extremely complete.

SO, now that you have a little back story on me, I'm going to try and catch you up to date on my current project and oh what a fight it has been! It seems as though when you think you have life figured out, you underestimate all of the little things that commonly stand in your way. So let us begin, I sold my Rx7 in August of 2015, In September of 2015 I purchased my beauty, a 1989 Nissan 240sx with most of the Type-X aero package. I purchased it from Oklahoma since here in Michigan, everything is rotted to pieces.

For everyone who skipped the above reading material (I don't blame you) here are some photos of when it got back to my house. (also screwed up and immediately started ripping it apart before photoshoot, it did have hood and mirrors on it haha

Naturally, since we've worked on 240's together and have always shared the same passion for these teenager beaters, my friend Damon had to show up to start some disassembly and go for a quick Joy-Ride.

This is where the plot thickens, I had only driven this car a total of 3 times at this point, once around work where it was delivered from Oklahoma, once home from work, and then once with Damon going for a quick cruise. (where the speedometer broke on us haha) So naturally, I needed to start ordering parts for this thing, but most of all, get it stripped for paint!!!!!

The Ever Famous, Me in the Engine Bay photo

All glass pulled

IF YOUR STILL WITH ME SO FAR, this is where the story really gets me going. I dropped the car off for paint beginning of 2016, and unlike what happened to me, I will spare you the waiting and agony and fast forward to June 2017 where I demanded money back from the painter who had strung me along the whole time. Now this wasn't just an ordinary guy, he was also the guy who painted my Rx7 pictured above, he was a friend. So I figured this was going to go as smooth as before and nothing to worry about. Well folks, Tim was dead wrong about that! To save my blood pressure STILL I will skip to where I paid another good friend (who didn't screw me) a good chunk of change to undo the terrible engine bay paint work that was already done, and finish painting the entire car for me.

How it looked rolling out of my shop after I received it from painter #1

After a few weeks at his shop, doing his thing

And after a few months I had at least the chassis back!!!!!!!! normally he wont do cars like this where people see the in between, but since I know the process and don't sweat stuff, I get a pass I suppose.

After He got me my doors back and we put them on, For most people this wouldn't be such a big deal, but mind you I had been staring at a corpse of a car for over a year straight, being told it would get done only for it to continue sitting. To be honest, I decided to part the whole car out when I finally put my foot down and demanded money back from the first painter. So a lot of stuff sold REALLY fast, but when I was removing some stuff, I decided that I shouldn't give up on it, I had done that with far to many 240's prior and it wasn't going to happen this time!

So now that the car is finally making progress on being beautiful, my motivation has come back to life! So if you read before, I sold my engine setup while fighting parting it out. So that makes way for having to go get this new setup! An S14 SR setup!

Now that the engine was safely home, it was time to take a peek at a few things, and the seller was very honest about everything, it has the S15 Turbo on it, and behind the transmission was a brand new spec clutch, and everything was really clean. Now, there are some mixed reviews on spec clutches, but since it is already staring me in the face, I think it will be put to use.

When you work on cars non stop, you take a little time for the small things, like when you do a deep clean on the shop and don't have another car taking up space!

So earlier I stated I build my cars to be complete. That means everything start to finish is quality. It will have sound deadening, A/C, Heat, Full quality interior and also 180sx glass on the exterior to match the type-x aero package! With that said, it was finally time to have the glass put back in after so long without it!

So, now that the car is painted and some things can go back on for good, its starting to look like a car again! which makes me extremely happy, So the type-x wing and tails found their home again! (Sorry for late night crappy cell pic)

So with the fresh paint now, I couldn't stand the nasty door seals, hatch seal, body seals, and window trim, so I ordered all new!

Continue Below, hit my picture limit!

Last edited by s13driftnut; 12-29-2017 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: Adding to it from where i left off again
s13driftnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2017, 12:44 PM   #2
z31andrew
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
z31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of lightz31andrew is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Subbed for a good, quality build!
z31andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:43 PM   #3
tjcbar

Trader Rating: (0)
tjcbar is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
awesome build thus far!
tjcbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:14 PM   #4
s13driftnut
Zilvia Member

Thanks Guys, I hope you enjoy it
Old 12-29-2017, 07:28 PM   #5
Big Zee
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
Big Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Big Zee
fucking awesome build!!!!!

where did you get the door/window seals from ? I've been looking for them and my local nissan says they aren't made anymore. Maybe you still have the part numbers ?
Two-Tone owner#011509-Lightly Modded
Big Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:45 PM   #6
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
Definitely going to enjoy this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Zee View Post

where did you get the door/window seals from ? I've been looking for them and my local nissan says they aren't made anymore. Maybe you still have the part numbers ?
I have two sets of them brand new in box sitting at home. I'll try to get part numbers on them as soon as I get a chance.

There may be old stock sitting around somewhere.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:19 PM   #7
s13driftnut
Zilvia Member

So, if you've been paying attention while reading this, you'll know that I had a full year of down time acquiring parts for the car, first things first, I said the car would have full functioning A/C, so what good is having that if you don't control it with the factory digital climate control!?

Comfortable A/C isn't really that cool if your interior is trashed, so I had the rear seats re-upholstered and the door cards done to match along with new carpet front and rear, also a minty clean dash to replace the crappy cracked one!

So now that there is all the necessary stuff to make the interior nice with climate control, staring at the factory cluster wouldn't cut it, so since I had Broadfield do my FD custom cluster, I said screw it and had him do another setup for this car!

So by now your probably catching on that literally everything is getting redone. And now were getting close to being completely caught up, these are a few of the things I just did while I had the week off in-between Christmas and upcoming new years!

Now is where I start taking care of the underside of the car, the whole suspension setup.

One of my best friends and fellow super clean S13 owner Greg had the week off as well, so he stopped by a few times this week to lend a helping hand and also hangout with a few beers!

Dropped the whole rear subframe for new arms and powder coating and general cleaning

I ordered Whiteline Subframe bushings in anticipation of doing this, and boy was I glad that I did, the rear bushings were COMPLETELY shot!

Next the front subframe for the same procedure, powdercoating, new balljoints, and general cleaning

Got the transmission Jack underneath, comes in super handy!

Now the Engine Bay is really empty!

Since both subframes, powerbrace and everything that's not being replaced is going to powder coat, I decided it was a good time to start doing some cleaning and undercoating on the whole car.

Out comes the gas tank

Now to start cleaning and undercoating, I'm using a brush and can of undercoating which will make it almost impossible to get this stuff on fresh paint! also removed the front fenders again and placed them in a secure location! haha

Now I can show off the fancy new suspension pieces and hardware!

Stance XR1 coilovers, with downstar anodized washer with stainless nut

Ignore the Dust all over the car, I wont wipe it off until spring when I wash it so the paint doesn't get a bunch of fine scratches in it

Ordered and received all new suspension arms from voodoo, great quality looking stuff, only issue is the company I ordered from (will remain un-named) screwed up and sent me 2 of the hard clear color which I requested, while the other 2 are in Raw. Sorting that out now, company is taking care of it no issues.

Now if you made it this far, you are all up to date on whats going on with the car as of 12/29/2017, I will be posting the rest of the updates throughout the thread as I go now!

A last little Picture for you warm weather guys, this is what you have to do when you live in Michigan, make yourself a nice path to the shop! haha

Old 12-29-2017, 08:25 PM   #8
s13driftnut
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Zee View Post

Thanks man, Crimsonrockett is correct there is old stock laying around and its quite time consuming doing all the searching through diagrams for stuff, but its worth it, I also did new door strikers. now they open and shut like a dream! haha here is a website I use a lot, https://parts.nissanusa.com/nissanpa...selOEModel=S13 but there is lots of others

Really appreciate the love guys, keeps me fueled to keep moving!
Old 12-29-2017, 09:22 PM   #9
HypnoFish
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
HypnoFish is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I thought those wheels looked familiar, picked them up from you this summer.
Car is looking great.
HypnoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:28 PM   #10
wolf904
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
wolf904 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Nothing better than a simple street car with all the right quality parts in all the right places. So ready to have a hatch again one day to do kouki 180 things with...

chassis and engine pay paint is fucking flossy, and the engine setup is a winner. Interior shaping up to be really nice too. Will be cool to see this come together
wolf904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:29 PM   #11
Riq
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
Riq is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Thumbs up

There is a lot of potential in this build. Really looking forward to what's next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRockett View Post
Definitely going to enjoy this.

I have two sets of them brand new in box sitting at home. I'll try to get part numbers on them as soon as I get a chance.

There may be old stock sitting around somewhere.
Please pm me the part number as well if you get a chance. I'm having the same issue finding them.
Riq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:34 AM   #12
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
God I can't wait until you ruin this car.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:53 AM   #13
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Looking good buddy, keep it up!

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:32 PM   #14
s13driftnut
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypnoFish View Post
I thought those wheels looked familiar, picked them up from you this summer.
Car is looking great.
Thanks man, Ryan right? 1JZ s13? I remember because you hauled the wheels with it, made me chuckle, if your wanting to sell them someone on here messaged me about buying them haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf904 View Post
Nothing better than a simple street car with all the right quality parts in all the right places. So ready to have a hatch again one day to do kouki 180 things with...

chassis and engine pay paint is fucking flossy, and the engine setup is a winner. Interior shaping up to be really nice too. Will be cool to see this come together
Thanks man, yeah the paint is really awesome, my crappy photos and dust don't do it justice, but come spring time, professional photos haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riq View Post
There is a lot of potential in this build. Really looking forward to what's next.
Thanks a bunch, compliments are helping with the motivation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzariot View Post
God I can't wait until you ruin this car.

Yeah man, can't wait til you see the nice minty set of spinners and subwoofer wall I install next

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryOnBronze View Post
Looking good buddy, keep it up!
Thanks brotato-chip!
Old 01-02-2018, 08:43 PM   #15
HypnoFish
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
HypnoFish is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13driftnut View Post
Thanks man, Ryan right? 1JZ s13? I remember because you hauled the wheels with it, made me chuckle, if your wanting to sell them someone on here messaged me about buying them haha
Yeah that's me haha.

I'd be interested in letting them go perhaps. went with wider fenders and wheels and I'm not a huge fan of spacers
HypnoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:46 PM   #16
s13driftnut
Zilvia Member

Happy New Year!!!!!!

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments and support, I truly do appreciate it. Wish everyone the best for 2018.

Short little update here, nothing to crazy exciting, but I had some time before all the holiday festivities to add in some sound deadening.

I went with Ballistic Mat, after installing I can say it is really great quality, time consuming and extremely sticky! haha (also one box of 9 sheets only gets you to the hatch area so you'll need 2)

I love it when the hardest decision you have to make during the day is which beer to drink while working on your toy!

Old 01-02-2018, 09:04 PM   #17
Riq
Zilvia Addict

Riq is an unknown quantity at this point
Did you lay that over the factory black sticky stuff or did you remove it then use this sound deadening? Looks good
Riq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:20 PM   #18
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
The Alaskan Icy Bay IPA looks good lol

Great build, subbed!
spooled240 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:06 AM   #19
JrDarknes
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
JrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Really like the paint color and love the fact you installed the rear valances without the center piece. I've always thought it made the car look a bit cooler.

Quick question about that dynomat if you dont mind. I usually keep a jack in a duffle bag in the trunk of my car incase of emergencies. However I hate it when I hit a bump you can hear it in the back making noise from the bump (and this is with me having full interior including rear seats). Do you think installing Dynomat would help reduce that noise significantly?
JrDarknes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:16 PM   #20
CaBS
Zilvia Junkie

CaBS is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice build!

SXDevelopments on Facebook
CaBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:55 PM   #21
s13driftnut
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riq View Post
Did you lay that over the factory black sticky stuff or did you remove it then use this sound deadening? Looks good
Thanks, I did lay it over the existing sound deadening, I figure a little extra won't hurt, and it's not thick enough to get in the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooled240 View Post
The Alaskan Icy Bay IPA looks good lol

Great build, subbed!
Thanks man, and the Alaskan Bay is delicious haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrDarknes View Post
Really like the paint color and love the fact you installed the rear valances without the center piece. I've always thought it made the car look a bit cooler.

Quick question about that dynomat if you dont mind. I usually keep a jack in a duffle bag in the trunk of my car incase of emergencies. However I hate it when I hit a bump you can hear it in the back making noise from the bump (and this is with me having full interior including rear seats). Do you think installing Dynomat would help reduce that noise significantly?
Thanks, sorry but the center part of the rear valences is going on haha. I have all of the oem type x painted and tucked away for install later. As far as the sound deadening is concerned for your issue, it's really meant to dampen vibrations and cut down on road noise as well as a little extra heat barrier, but it won't help when you have something bouncing in the hatch area, my suggestion is to secure it better

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaBS View Post
Nice build!
Thanks man!
Old 01-04-2018, 07:48 AM   #22
jsu1012
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
jsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Another quality build thread, yes!!! Good job dude.

@streetstyle_jay
jsu1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:05 AM   #23
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Hopefully you do something in the trans tunnel and floor to keep the heat down...its likely going to heat up the tar or rubber based adhesive material and make it stinky/messy.

Food for thought.
tuzzio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:44 AM   #24
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
Hopefully you do something in the trans tunnel and floor to keep the heat down...its likely going to heat up the tar or rubber based adhesive material and make it stinky/messy.

Food for thought.
Considering DynaMat and similar products like the ones Tim is using are designed to help with blocking out heat in addition to unwanted road noise, I find it hard to believe this would be an issue. I guess both of us will find out this spring though! haha.

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:27 PM   #25
austin2112

austin2112 is an unknown quantity at this point
Man this thing is absolutely perfect in every little aspect. I dream of one day doing a 180 build so meticulous.
austin2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:12 PM   #26
koukimonst3r
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
koukimonst3r is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Looks great! Keep it up!

ig : koukimonst3r
koukimonst3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:35 PM   #27
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

RVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really nice
Nice work! I am sure this one will be even better. But I do love an LS FD...
RVAE34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:30 AM   #28
s13driftnut
Zilvia Member

First, Thanks everyone for the awesome comments, makes me smile!

Sorry for the delay, been extremely swamped, but I have been doing little things. I loaded up the truck and took the suspension and all its goodies to work with me. Now its time to knock out all the nasty bushings and ball joints to prep for powder coat and all the nice new bushings!

First thing to do was get rid of the nasty ball joints in the control arms!

I brought these all to work so I could use my super awesome snap-on ball joint press!

Next was the rear spindle bushings, kind of ran into a small hiccup, turns out the opposite end of the ball joint press gets narrower than the opening a little ways in, I thought it got stubborn towards the end which isn't normal, and I soon found out why!

Uh oh!

I took it over to the press and got it out fairly easy fortunately!

Next in line is the subframe bushings, those went extremely smooth which I was really happy about!

Save the hardest for last they always say........pretty sure that's now how it goes haha The rear control arm bushings were an extreme pain in the butt! I'm going with factory style bushings with the complete sleeve, not urethane style that require greasing since this is a street car I don't want to be tearing it down a bunch for maintenance. So that means I had to get the whole sleeve out, which was an eternal pain, but I got it done!

Famous burning bushing picture!

This is why I wear gloves at work, my hands would be super nasty!

When you bleed for your car you know you are dedicated!

Now everything is at powder coat and should be back soon looking brand new!
Old 01-21-2018, 10:09 AM   #29
Green Arrow
BANNED

Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow
This thread delivers, loving the attention to detail.
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:16 AM   #30
ponne

ponne is an unknown quantity at this point
Great Job Buddy!
ponne is offline   Reply With Quote