Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 02-25-2021, 01:02 AM   #1
LtSlayer
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
LtSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pulsar turbos?

I was interested in the relatively new garret g25- 550/660 because I've been looking to upgrade turbos as well as going externally gated.

Does anyone have any experience with pulsar turbos and can talk about how they perform?

even if they're not as good as a garret with the same design, incorporating all the same advancements and being a ball bearing turbo at a fraction of the cost of the garrett can't leave them too far off in reliability and bang for buck. I know they're a budget turbo but my question is are they junk?

for the price of just a nice garrett g25 550 turbo or gt3071r i can can basically buy a pulsar g25 550 with all the fittings, v bands, and manifold/intake and elbow

What up with pulsar?
LtSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2021, 04:19 AM   #2
UJCD

UJCD is an unknown quantity at this point
I?m subbing to this one as I too want to find out
UJCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:31 AM   #3
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
having trouble finding reviews..looks like there are a few on youtube...based on reading the diesel forums its a Chinese manufactured turbo...the balancing is very key like twisted motion does for their turbos and the pricing is enticing!
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 02:35 AM   #4
LtSlayer
Leaky Injector

i watched a video where a pulsar 3071r made mid 400 wheel hp on a honda k20. he was running pump gas and it was in an rx7 FD. after shutdown the turbo kept spinning for a longgggggggg time. I'm not tryna say they're better than garrett since they do have some minor cost saving steps but they're less than half the price and i hear good things. i only hear indiscriminate Chinese turbo hate but nothing against them specifically.

can anyone with experience chime in?
Old 02-26-2021, 09:57 AM   #5
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
using Chinese turbos? sure they don't last as long but you sure save a lot...I can usually also buy 3 Chinese turbos for the same price as a garrett...will it last as long? probably not, how often do you want to be in there? the long spin is a great indicator of the balance...the biggest thing I have seen is if you overboost on the Chinese stuff it becomes imbalanced and causes issues...otherwise they are ok and you get to keep some money in your pocket (almost put saved but its really dependent lol)
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:41 PM   #6
LtSlayer
Leaky Injector

these turbos seem to last years and if you go top mount, changing a turbo every 4/5 years is a breeze if you're saving that much money, they are well balanced and have built in anti surge. I'm seriously considering it if i can build up the courage to switch to top mount and vband
Old 03-14-2021, 12:54 PM   #7
DiscountPirate
Zilvia Member

DiscountPirate is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtSlayer View Post
these turbos seem to last years and if you go top mount, changing a turbo every 4/5 years is a breeze if you're saving that much money, they are well balanced and have built in anti surge. I'm seriously considering it if i can build up the courage to switch to top mount and vband
Other than accessibility for maintenance and more clearance for a bigger turbo is there any performance benefit to top mount?
DiscountPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 05:07 PM   #8
UJCD

UJCD is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscountPirate View Post
Other than accessibility for maintenance and more clearance for a bigger turbo is there any performance benefit to top mount?

I?m guessing it drains faster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UJCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:26 AM   #9
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:

even if they're not as good as a garret with the same design, incorporating all the same advancements and being a ball bearing turbo at a fraction of the cost of the garrett can't leave them too far off in reliability and bang for buck. I know they're a budget turbo but my question is are they junk?
To be clear: These are not the same design as Garrett. They simply copied the naming system for their similarly sized turbos. They do not include Mar-M turbine wheels with the efficiency of the Garrett units, and the compressor wheels who knows? It's the classic Chinese knockoff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post
using Chinese turbos? sure they don't last as long but you sure save a lot...I can usually also buy 3 Chinese turbos for the same price as a garrett...will it last as long? probably not, how often do you want to be in there? the long spin is a great indicator of the balance...the biggest thing I have seen is if you overboost on the Chinese stuff it becomes imbalanced and causes issues...otherwise they are ok and you get to keep some money in your pocket (almost put saved but its really dependent lol)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post
like twisted motion
If you think "overboosting" changes a turbos balance, you probably should step out of the conversation for a while. Also, twisted motion is hot garbage.

Quote:
The problem with bad turbos is when they die, they usually send shit through your oiling system, which is bad for oil pump and bearing life. It's not as simple as "get a new one when this one dies".

Quote:
The ability to fit a relatively straight, 4" intake pipe in front of the turbo. The rest is the same.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:30 PM   #10
DiscountPirate
Zilvia Member

DiscountPirate is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
To be clear:

The ability to fit a relatively straight, 4" intake pipe in front of the turbo. The rest is the same.
Ah, OK, so decreased air resistance and increased volume allows for lower pressure for efficiency?
DiscountPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 04:00 PM   #11
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Ah, OK, so decreased air resistance and increased volume allows for lower pressure for efficiency?
Yes. A larger filter with a larger cross section pipe will decrease restriction. I have seen this on the dyno even when the turbo inlet is as small as 2.5 inch, it makes more power with a smooth transition to a 4in pipe and filter. Very hard to do on a bottom mount.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote