Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #151
wyteboiii
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
wyteboiii is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Headers, Exhaust kits, and Flanges

He use to make the complete headers welded and ready to go but now its a u weld it kit for $500
wyteboiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #152
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (41)
turtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
1uzfe header flange
This guy is awesome to deal with! I'd grab some flanges from him, and spend the remaining $400+ on some kick ass collectors and tubing.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:15 PM   #153
s13hvv

s13hvv is an unknown quantity at this point
Is wiring cut and dry for the ps pump
s13hvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:11 PM   #154
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

turtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond repute
Pretty much. 100amp fuse and a relay hooked up to a switch and you're good to go. You can find the diagrams on Google if you search "rx7 electric power steering." The pump itself is kind of rare though. Don't see to many sw20 junkers.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #155
s13hvv

s13hvv is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks it really is pretty simple to the local junkyard I go. Write up if anyone else is interested in doing this. http://www.rx7club.com/fabrication-2...ersion-847818/
s13hvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #156
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
Fries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You guys used the KA24DE clutch pressure plate bolts to the flywheel? I need to buy some ARP replacements because my clutch kit had no bolts. Should I go with bolts for the MR2 since I'm using that flywheel?

FUARRRRRK.

Also. What do you guys do with your fuel lines? Gimme gimme.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #157
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

here's what I did for my fuel lines. Grab one of each and you'll be fine.

This one goes to the fpr
https://www.belmetric.com/bnjf1278-b...ath=13_853_855

this one goes to the other rail
https://www.belmetric.com/bnjf1078-b...ath=13_853_855
Old 11-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #158
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Fries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfectionFries is close to perfection
Turtle, where do you prefer to get your replacement/performance parts for the 1uz. Starter, intake gasket, Intake piping etc.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #159
MiamiZ33
Zilvia Member

MiamiZ33 is an unknown quantity at this point
I got a quote from my local waterjet guy for $55 per flange from 3/8" mild. I would largely prefer a waterjetted edge over a plasma cut edge, especially from a welding perspective. I'm going to get mine cut this week, but I've got everything I need to start fabbing my headers, including merge collectors and enough tubing to remake the Y-pipe. If anybody wants a set of waterjet flanges, let me know.

I'm still working out my wiring - I got the car cranking today, but my battery was dead after sitting for a year so I couldn't get much out of it. I'm crossing my fingers that once it's charged (or replaced) it will fire up. I still need to run my fuel lines, but I will just leave them hanging until I confirm it runs.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #160
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Finally got the lighting and heat needed to work in the garage through this cold ass winter here in upstate NY.

She's looks messy, but its really not too bad.

Started to take the harness off the motor, but I'm not very excited about it. Gotta remove intake manifold and all kinds of stuff eh?

Trying to decide whether I care about a clean motor that much, but then again might as well do the intake gasket and valve cover gaskets before they need them. Then again... 85k motor.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:42 AM   #161
Jifter
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Jifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fries View Post
You guys used the KA24DE clutch pressure plate bolts to the flywheel? I need to buy some ARP replacements because my clutch kit had no bolts. Should I go with bolts for the MR2 since I'm using that flywheel?

FUARRRRRK.

Also. What do you guys do with your fuel lines? Gimme gimme.
My kit from brett didnt come with them either. I used Camry pressure plate bolts. I ran my fuel lines through the tunnel to avoid the exhaust heat. Fuel line are 5/16
Jifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:02 AM   #162
Jifter
Leaky Injector

Jifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Not to steer ppl away from this swap or anything but I managed to seize my 1UZ after its 2nd drift day. It turns out that the rod bearing(s) died (black ones in the pic). The engine had 220xxxkm. Looking for another donor lol

Here is a vid of me and my buddy tandeming before it seized

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojcLiS044e8
Jifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #163
nismobenzo
Zilvia Junkie

nismobenzo is an unknown quantity at this point
planning on using bits and pieces of this thread to use a ka trans in my ls...good stuff!
Old 11-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #164
zenkiset
Zilvia Member

zenkiset is an unknown quantity at this point
that sucks jifter. but hey. atleast you can snag another engine for $3-400.
zenkiset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:42 AM   #165
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
MrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrChow
Woah.. I've been out long. I started about 6 monthes ago haven't been able to get any real work done but this is what I have so far.

1uz vvti out of GS400 found for $300 Came with everything but the keys but I found someone to bypass the immobilizer.
Got a Flywheel and tranny plate for $500.
In the middle of rebuilding the motor. My friend that's a master tech and toyota is helping me out with this so I can't wait to start to actually get it in the car.

I need to backtrack and read up all that I've missed i this thread.
"It's stiff and hurts my livers! I'M A HANDLING GOD!"
WTT: 2 way for 1.5 way LSD
MrChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:31 AM   #166
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Not excited about doing this wiring. Trying to learn how to weld so I can modify the tundra headers to fit.

If anyone has wiring for dummies for the 1uz (91) to s14, I'd appreciate it. I don't really want to have to send it out to be modified.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #167
zenkiset
Zilvia Member

zenkiset is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
If anyone has wiring for dummies for the 1uz (91) to s14, I'd appreciate it. I don't really want to have to send it out to be modified.
sezio on here has a write up with pictures that shows step by step what to do supposedly for the s14. ive talked to him a few times about it but he wont give it away for free. he says to "paypal him what I think is reasonable." I really don't have a clue what to offer to him since hes helped me on my swap a lot so far. don't wanna low ball him yanno. ive been debating on just asking him what hed charge to send it to him but im tight on the "monnies" right now though and im scared he'll want a lot for it. maybe you can try talking to him about it Fries.
zenkiset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:40 AM   #168
nismobenzo
Zilvia Junkie

nismobenzo is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChow View Post
My friend that's a master tech and toyota is helping me out with this so I can't wait to start to actually get it in the car.
hopefully that works out since that motor has never been at a toyota dealership unless some guy got lost one day..ha
Old 11-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #169
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
MrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrChow
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismobenzo View Post
hopefully that works out since that motor has never been at a toyota dealership unless some guy got lost one day..ha
Lol yeah he's never had to pull a head from these motors. He's pulled IS-F heads but not 1uz.
"It's stiff and hurts my livers! I'M A HANDLING GOD!"
WTT: 2 way for 1.5 way LSD
MrChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #170
MiamiZ33
Zilvia Member

Got my engine cranking and possibly running for a few seconds when I noticed a massive puddle of oil on the ground.

Under closer inspection, the oil seemed to be coming from this hole:

What is this? It looks like it's supposed to be plugged (notice old thread sealer there).

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #171
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Oil pressure sender. Just like a KA.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:01 PM   #172
imoverherre
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
imoverherre is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Anybody got a flywheel and and clutch set for sale???
imoverherre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:56 PM   #173
chingon
Leaky Injector

chingon is an unknown quantity at this point
anyone figured out a way to make the oem (uncut) headers clear on either chassis? Seems like the only way to make this swap cost effective vs going ls-variant.
chingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #174
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingon View Post
anyone figured out a way to make the oem (uncut) headers clear on either chassis? Seems like the only way to make this swap cost effective vs going ls-variant.
Have you priced out a 5.3/t56 swap?

Even paying to have custom manifolds, y pipe, and wiring done you'll still be under a t56 LSx swap by about $4000.

This swap should not cost you more than $3500 said and done.
That's paying a premium for a motor and KA transmission.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #175
chingon
Leaky Injector

chingon is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Have you priced out a 5.3/t56 swap?

Even paying to have custom manifolds, y pipe, and wiring done you'll still be under a t56 LSx swap by about $4000.

This swap should not cost you more than $3500 said and done.
That's paying a premium for a motor and KA transmission.

truck 5.3's are around 1k-1500 in my area w/loom and ecu. Nothing stopping you from using the stock tranny or non t-56 like in this swap (though maybe a flat plate may not cut it as it did here).

I mean I love what it's being done here, I just wonder if there's any way in hell to make oem manifolds fit (by moving further back and going w/smaller booster).
chingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #176
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Alright here's what I got for wiring into a s14.

Instructions for wiring a 1uz that I've found state that:

Quote:
• +12V wired to pin (BATT)

• (M-REL) drives the Main EFI Relay: switches it on.

• (+B) and (+B1) both get 12volts when the Main EFI Relay is switched.

• Main EFI Relay appears to be working fine.

• (E11) is grounded.

• (E2) is grounded.

• (E02) is grounded.

• (E01) is grounded.

• (STA) gets a 12volt input from starter relay when the engine is cranking.

• (IGSW) gets a switched power 12volts from the ignition switch.

• You might want to find the check light (W) and use as an earth for a light
(switched power on the other side), tells you if the ecu is on or not.

2.1.2 In the wiring loom:

• Find the injector power wire, and connect that to relay / switched power. It’s
usually a striped wire. In the older motors it’s Black/Orange, newer engines it’s
Blue/Red.

• Find the power to the igniters, connect that to a relay / switched power, usually
the same colour as the injector power wire.

• Sometimes: the sensor power wire is loose in the loom, find it, give it switched
power.

Last edited by Fries; 11-25-2013 at 08:03 PM..
Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #177
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Run a relays, its a fail safe to protect the ecu.

Last edited by Fries; 11-25-2013 at 08:03 PM..
Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:21 AM   #178
MiamiZ33
Zilvia Member

Update: My header fab is underway, but I decided to go the easy route and just cut out all the garbage the previous owner attempted at fabbing. I may wind up remaking the entire driver side header, but time will tell.

On the passenger side I will be sticking with the relatively unmodified passenger side pacesetter tundra longtube header but adding a new collector with a v-band attachment. For the drivers side, I am essentially remaking 3 of the 4 runners and reusing the flange.

I bought formed collectors from coneeng.com (which are the best designed collector for the money). I decided to go with a 2.5" collector into a 2.5 Y-Pipe which will merge with a single 3" exhaust. Most of these headers go into a 3" collector which I believe is too big for a 300 hp engine.

I will post pictures tonight if I can put in some work today.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #179
Fries
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiZ33 View Post
Update: My header fab is underway, but I decided to go the easy route and just cut out all the garbage the previous owner attempted at fabbing. I may wind up remaking the entire driver side header, but time will tell.

On the passenger side I will be sticking with the relatively unmodified passenger side pacesetter tundra longtube header but adding a new collector with a v-band attachment. For the drivers side, I am essentially remaking 3 of the 4 runners and reusing the flange.

I bought formed collectors from coneeng.com (which are the best designed collector for the money). I decided to go with a 2.5" collector into a 2.5 Y-Pipe which will merge with a single 3" exhaust. Most of these headers go into a 3" collector which I believe is too big for a 300 hp engine.

I will post pictures tonight if I can put in some work today.
That sounds like my plan too, once I get to it. Post teh pictures.
What are you doing to measure out/figure out your routing?
Old 11-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #180
MiamiZ33
Zilvia Member

Quote:
That sounds like my plan too, once I get to it. Post teh pictures.
What are you doing to measure out/figure out your routing?
Measure, cut, repeat.