Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
Pross07

Trader Rating: (0)
Pross07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s14 -Project 240- --S14 Zenki SR20 Swap--

Hey guys, I decided not to be lazy and finally create my build thread. Some background information, i'm from Newfoundland, Canada. I work at Volkswagen/Audi dealership as an Apprentice Technician. I currently own a 1995 Nissan 240sx Zenki.

My story on how I acquired this vehicle is quite the tale and pretty much makes this build so I hope you enjoy this!!

So to start, Me and my Friend Jeremy started up a new car club two years ago and it really took off! you can check it out here
http://www.facebook.com/edition709

Anyways, while starting this club I had a trusty daily driver 2010 Mazda 3. Now after starting this group I had an undying love for the 240's. I always wanted an S13 with the flip up heads lights, and for that year I just kept saying to the guys I was going to get one until they finally told me to SHUT IT until I actually was going to purchase one.

So for months I was searching high and low all across Canada looking for a decent S13 model but all the ones I found needed work and couldn't be shipped unless it was driveable. It got to a point where I just gave up for a few months. Booked a trip to Halifax with friends to have some fun and then Christmas came along.

So here came the new year (2012) when my friend Justin messages me about an s14 in a town few hours away.

I jumped on it quick and called the guy and said he wanted it sold within a week, and that following week I was leaving for Halifax. He was asking 3500 for it and I didn't have much saved up after the new year. So I didn't have time for a bank loan or any means of getting the money fast, and after running it through my father he quickly said no.. So I just gave up.. but the next day my dad came to me and asked if I really wanted to do this and I told him yes. He agreed to lend me the money until my loan went through so I could purchase the car. So all that week I got the SUV suited up with all necessary parts that I needed.

Ok so this is the start to a funny story. The guy called me before coming out and said to buy a battery because the one in the 240 was not his. I thought this was sketchy, but decided this was my closest thing to a 240 I could get. There was snow storm and delayed us but we started our adventure to Bonavista.

This was my excited face on the way to the seeing the car!

We had to stop for a pee break and found this sign.. Thought it was quite funny...

We finally made it to Bonavista. The road to this community isn't salted, and was just after a huge snowstorm, so it was horrible, but we made it to the car!
The guys snuck our logo on the window without me noticing! ha

Once we came to the car, noticed she was sitting on 19's with two steelies up front, and two other 19's in trunk, minor interior parts needed replacing, both side tail lights were cracked but other then that it looked to be in fair condition.
Settled on taking it for 3300.

So from here, he wrote a bill of sale for the car, and assured the vehicle was registered under his name and if I had problems just to call him before he went back to Alberta. So after all that I had the car!

Stopped to try and change tires to a set I borrowed but found they didn't fit right, so we headed out again on the road.

Stopped into Clarenville for a celebatory feeedd. and headed for home!

Got it back to town and gave it a huge bath!

Got the car inside and out of the elements at my friend Ryan's garage for some minor maintanence!

We decided to take out anything that was useless. On the way home we found that there was extension cords all throughout the car and had no clue why..

We found out that the previous owner had disconnected the stock stereo wires and replaced them with extension cord! HAHA

Removed all the old junk from the car!

To make things even more sketchy, the guy had it running by doing this...

After removing all the interior and the mess of wiring he had done, we decided to pop off the tires, and start removing all the old lights since I bought over $100 in brand new bulbs.

Other then some slight rusting underneath everything looked pretty decent shape! Nothing a trip to auto parts shop to pick up some OEM replacement goodies!

First real look at the KA and was in fair shape. There wasn't a leak, that you see on the cover. Someone had a shaky hand while trying to pour by the looks of things..

This is the look with my 17's off my Mazda that I had. Just some rims I needed as I wasn't keeping the 19's.

Took a few shots of the interior. Really clean, minus the mess of wires...

Cleaned up these 19's and sold them for the Halifax trip we were taking in the coming weeks haha..

With all this crazy nonstop car stuff, my poor Tigger wasn't getting any attention and she looked sad!!

All done! Everything back together and ready to move to the garage for the parts I had on order

Right after this, we brought the car up to where I would be storing it and working on getting it ready for Summer of 2012. I'm tired so it's bed time.. tomorrow I will continue with the build!
Pross07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
Pross07

s14

So to continue on, unfortunately we couldn't keep it in that nice garage, so we had to move it to a spot I got for free. Free is good right? We had some work ahead of us to get this car in here... (I took this picture on top of a bathroom shower unit )

We got most of it out of the way and enough room to get the car in! Her new home for the winter!

That following weekend we got back to the garage and decided to get the video deck installed. We hauled all the unneccessary wiring the previous owner had done and put everything back to factory! Crimped some wires and YAY video deck!

On the drive home after buying the car we noticed there was some play in the shifter but we said we would leave it until the car was in the garage. After installing the deck we decided to pull the boot and see what we were dealing with.

When we removed the boot, we seen a nismo short shifter, but piece holding down the shifter was messed up!!

The two bolts on the side were missing, making the shifter have excessive play. Causing the shifter itself to be chewed up around the bottom. Luckily I was going to replace it anyways....

I figured if i was going to be doing most of my work at this garage I needed a bench of somesort. So we me and my father made one!

We basically took a folding 6 foot table, and used small wood strips around the edges to prevent bolts and other small parts from rolling off the table!

With the car sitting and awaiting some TLC, it was time to start ordering!!

First I bought a cheap set of performance tires to get me on the road!

A set of replacement front and rear brake set!

Found these used on ebay for cheap! Great deal!!

Also picked up Nissan consult adapter for later!

I was so happy when these arrived AIR shipped from Hong Kong

Couple days later my Megan Racing order showed up!!

We decided while having the rear bumper removed to go ahead and touch up the support. We cleaned, sanded and just spray bombed to make it look decent

After installing most of the new parts and checking my codes, these were the only two I had. I later found out that the CPS was missing? and the subharness just laying across the transmission housing. To this day the CPS still sits in my tool box...

This is how she sat while she waited for spring! Next up, inspection and registration!

SPRING came!

Finally got the car out of the garage! but on the way home she was idling horribly!
Once I came to a stop, she would idle bad, sputter and then stall...issue I would have to check once I got it to my dealership I work at

Got temp permit to drive the vehicle to work, and after my shift me and co-worker started with the rest of the product install! Out with old exhaust, and in with the new!

We figured out what the idling problem was after. When I installing my new knock sensor, i had removed my intake manifold and moved it slightly, causing the old gasket to tear which gave me a mad leak. So we replaced the gasket, and she returned to normal!

Now, back earlier I told you I bought the car off the guy with trust he was registered with the car and such.. well THAT WASN'T THE CASE... so this is how the car sat for almost a month!

Once again it's late, and i'll continue this tomorrow evening... stay tuned!!
Old 03-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
Supra_Lover

Supra_Lover is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

LOVE the thread dude, keep up the good work!!
Supra_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
JM1492

JM1492 is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice Zenki! I just picked up a '95 LE. Where did you buy the Kouki tails from if you don't mind me asking?
JM1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
atvrider647

atvrider647 is an unknown quantity at this point
I never trust people like that.

I can call cops and run plates, not sure if they do that in canada, but you should try.
atvrider647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
Pross07

s14 continued...

Sorry for late replys, I was busy with work and going to upgrade with another blocks of training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM1492 View Post
Nice Zenki! I just picked up a '95 LE. Where did you buy the Kouki tails from if you don't mind me asking?
Ebay, Hong Kong air shipped.. around 330 bucks to my door haha...expensive used Kouki's....

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvrider647 View Post
I never trust people like that.

I can call cops and run plates, not sure if they do that in canada, but you should try.
That was my first mistake, I know it was a rookie move.. that lead into my next story...

So this leads me into how I got to actually register this vehicle under my name...

So I told you before that I asked the previous owner if he had the title, and proper info and he assured me and said he would write the bill of sale to me and ownership to my name. I got the "documents" from him, bought the car and came on home. Months went buy as I was preparing the car for its inspection and finally being road legal.

I got it full inspected at my dealership and ready to register the vehicle. I brought all my documentation to Motor Registration and proceeded to talk to the cubical lady behind her nice glass wall. After going through ALL THAT, she looks at me and says that "xxxx xxxxxx" person is not the registered owner and hasn't been registered for a few years now. I was RATTLED. I told her my situation but due to current laws I was unable to have the name and number on her screen I tried to peek and see... SO let's see

-bought a car not registered with the guy you bought off, mistake 1
-cannot get a hold of this I bought off.. mistake 2
-I only know from friends of friends that the car used to be around my area years ago but cannot remember the name..

So basically I spent over 5 grand, buying, repairing, and getting this vehicle ready for the road and now it's technically still owned by this random guy that probably can't even remember owning it.

The only thing that saved my ass was that the idiot that bought the car and never registered left the previous owners registration still in the vehicle!! So right away I tell my buddies and one of my friend's Luke, makes a few calls and gets me his cell phone number. I called him up and left a message. The guy calls me back and was so awesome! "Sure, drop by (my address) and ill sign the sheet for you." I was so happy. Went to him and he signed the papers. The next day I went and registered the car!!

NOW SHE IS ROAD LEGAL !!!
-oh and while chatting with the real owner, he told me he got the ownership of this car off a guy that had a drug problem, and welll the drug guy needed money, so he sold the 240 for drugs.. creepy....

So here she was, legally on the road! but bearly, after replacing my knock sensor, I had removed my intake to make it easier and shagged up my gasket giving me a horrible leak...

So that next weekend we got together at Luke's house, and with some pizza and some hard work. she was alive again!

While we were at work, the new Audi RS5 showed up . This thing is a true beast.

Found this crack getting bigger... and being JDM and all I decided to keep that theme going..

finished!

Fancy picture -yes please leave my wheel gap alone... it is being fixed. PROMISE

Since having the car on the road, time to fix the mad alignment issues before my tires shear off and leave me on rims.. hmmm I may have an issue..Put some blocks of wood and just bearly cleared the exhaust....

After setting up the (outdated) machine for our dealership... we found that the sensor's were hitting the bumper and unable to fix much, although we did get a rear camber reading.... hehehehe

Alignment was fixed except for the rear camber at the Mercedes dealership my friend Ryan worked at.

So later in the summer we decided to take a little trip out around the bay and while we drank our friend's that enjoy camera's and their fancy skills took some neat pics!

Now if you liked that Audi RS5, then this showed up few weeks later.. the Audi TTrs

Now as for the rest of the summer, we basically had some photo shoots, made some cool videos and had a blast. the only upgrade's I did was a megan racing header and downpipe.. she ended up being SOOO loud! haha..

Picked up bunch of parts from a part's s14 for $100!! NOT BAD

This was the picture of putting her away for this winter season. New home, ready for a full makeover this winter....

So now you are pretty much caught up on everything. I will now throw all the videos we made for my 240 up for all you guys to see!! After the video are viewed then I will proceed to start the winter build i've been dying to share!!

Last edited by Pross07; 03-10-2013 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: wrong brackets for images
Old 03-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #7
Pross07

So here are the Videos we made throughout the summer. These videos were done by Jeremy Power and Luke Brown. Our car group is Edition 709 and has been going strong since we started it! Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7zHToXlbfA&list=UUh0oaqAi-nLS8j-p_tQ__2w&index=46
This video was taken on an old airstrip that we use for auto-x, decided to have some fun before we left!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgiiA8sPwiM&list=UUh0oaqAi-nLS8j-p_tQ__2w&index=40
Here is a little video Jeremy Power put together with some footage we took that afternoon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa6kumbvHsU&list=UUckX7hfoOlomf7_2duX5I6Q&index=7
This was our summer ending video for our Edition 709 car group! Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB50xRSPeVc
This was after Targa Newfoundland at one of the last Auto-X events! Our friends took the EVO9 out for a spin!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--0-Z05auNo
Some Auto-X footage of us having a laugh!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYBFJegK_s0
These last two videos are some winter fun we have with the vehicles that aren’t stored during the snow months!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7q0IGkaTeM
This video I decided to be a super hero and slide around….
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMI7G0mcK88&list=UUckX7hfoOlomf7_2duX5I6Q&index=4

Last edited by Pross07; 03-10-2013 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: incorrect links
Old 03-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
240jake
Zilvia Member

240jake is an unknown quantity at this point
cool build, thanks for posting on /r/240sx!
240jake is offline   Reply With Quote