Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:41 AM   #1
blades13.5
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
blades13.5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Cool 3.5 bar MAP Sensor. Wideband/AEM EMS

I'm installing my Zietronix Wideband and I bought a 3.5 bar MAP sensor from them to gauge the boost pressure to the widebands dig readout. Now The AEM advises that I use a MAP Sensor. (3.5 bar - instead of MAF so make tuning easier. I checked Zietronix' website and the map sensor looks the exact same as Aem's. On aem's forums, people mentioned that the MAP sensor is placed in the upper intake manifold.

My question is, would it be possible use only 1 MAP sensor for both the AEM's MAP signal and to also send boost pressure info to the Wideband? It's only $130 more to get a second MAP sensor but if I dont have to get another one, I'drather not obviously. If it is possible to run both off one sensor do you recommend it? thanks!

Last edited by blades13.5; 10-28-2012 at 10:20 AM..
blades13.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #2
blades13.5
Zilvia Junkie

Anybody?...
Old 10-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
blades13.5
Zilvia Junkie

Apologize. I was drunk when I first posted and i wasnt descriptive enough. I Edited everything to make more sense/simpler.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
Why don't you just use the recommended 2 or 3 bar map sensor from AEM for everything. The Wideband is just an input to the AEM. The map sensor tells the computer everything it needs to know to figure out load. If you're talking about boost gauges? Just get a separate boost gauge to monitor for your own info and your own peace of mind. PM me if you need more detailed answers or help with the initial mapping. Good Luck!
Old 10-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
blades13.5
Zilvia Junkie

I've spent $650+ on the zietronix. I purchased it because of its ability to monitor and display MANY functions w/o a computer or a ton of gauges. (fuel pressure, Oil Pressure, Boost Pressure, AFR, Lambada, EGT, RPM, TPS %, Oil/water temp etc.) The online reviews I read were very good as well as the customer support. I read over some forums

"The zietronix analog output works fine with the aem ems. You just have to set the scaling and make the EMS match the zietronix output."

"Zietronix actually created the system for use with the AEM before AEM had even created its own Eugo controller."

I just still don't know if they require separate sensors or if the wiring can be spliced together for both systems. I mean, they both require the same sensors. And the MAP sensor and the Boost Pressure sensor are BOTH 3.5 bar maps sensors, So, Can it be used for both functions or do you need 2 seperate sensors? and when you wire it up does the wiring go to both systems(Spliced or 2 seperate sensors) or first to the wideband/EMS and then to the secondary?
Old 10-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
steve shadows
Post Whore!

steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by blades13.5 View Post
I've spent $650+ on the zietronix. I purchased it because of its ability to monitor and display MANY functions w/o a computer or a ton of gauges. (fuel pressure, Oil Pressure, Boost Pressure, AFR, Lambada, EGT, RPM, TPS %, Oil/water temp etc.) The online reviews I read were very good as well as the customer support. I read over some forums

"The zietronix analog output works fine with the aem ems. You just have to set the scaling and make the EMS match the zietronix output."

"Zietronix actually created the system for use with the AEM before AEM had even created its own Eugo controller."

I just still don't know if they require separate sensors or if the wiring can be spliced together for both systems. I mean, they both require the same sensors. And the MAP sensor and the Boost Pressure sensor are BOTH 3.5 bar maps sensors, So, Can it be used for both functions or do you need 2 seperate sensors? and when you wire it up does the wiring go to both systems(Spliced or 2 seperate sensors) or first to the wideband/EMS and then to the secondary?
A few thoughts because I haven't worked directly with the zietronix...

-Is there an auxilary output from the AEM that you can configure to send the Load pressure value out to the zietronix? That is probably how it's supposed to work. MAP input into the AEM EMS then an auxilary output sending data out to your display...

-Another thought does the zietronix need it's own separate map to work? or to read boost? Maybe this is the issue could also be an issue. See if the zeitronix will accept an aux input - which would be an aux output from the AEM unit for boost/load to display....this...at least in theory is how it should work...

Should be pretty basic if you can just do this....and this is how all the Haltech systems work. We just pull data in and send it back out via configured auxilary outputs if we need to send the data elseware.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
blades13.5
Zilvia Junkie

To steve: I've been looking up whether either one has input/export values and I found this. - >

Zeitronix Zt-2 Wideband Analog Output
I found this on zietronix site, while it does talk about hooking up to Aftermarket EMS's, it doesnt definably answer the question of how it hooks up. From the looks of it online, numerous people have hooked the two up. Question is how.

"2006-2009 Zt-2 Wideband has two wideband outputs. The Linear Wideband Output and the Nonlinear Wideband Output, which follows a natural output curve of Bosch LSU wideband O2 sensor.
The Zt-2 Linear Wideband Output is shared with the Narrowband Output (the Zt-2 purple wire). Typically the engine management systems use only a narrowband or a wideband O2 feedback.

2010 Zt-2 Wideband has one Linear Wideband Output (white wire)

2010 Zt-3 Wideband has one Linear Wideband Output (white wire) which is a configurable output. The default output matches the Zt-2 2010 output and the Zeitronix Data Logger software may be used to configure the output AFR voltages to match 3rd party engine management systems or gauges."

If i'm understanding it right, it looks like the Zt-2 has 1-2 outputs(depending upon year) for EMS systems. No idea about the AEM system tho or whether the ZT-2 exports all info given to it by it's sensors or only a select few. If only a few I'd assume the ems would need some of it's own sensors.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blades13.5 View Post
To steve: I've been looking up whether either one has input/export values and I found this. - >

Zeitronix Zt-2 Wideband Analog Output
I found this on zietronix site, while it does talk about hooking up to Aftermarket EMS's, it doesnt definably answer the question of how it hooks up. From the looks of it online, numerous people have hooked the two up. Question is how.

"2006-2009 Zt-2 Wideband has two wideband outputs. The Linear Wideband Output and the Nonlinear Wideband Output, which follows a natural output curve of Bosch LSU wideband O2 sensor.
The Zt-2 Linear Wideband Output is shared with the Narrowband Output (the Zt-2 purple wire). Typically the engine management systems use only a narrowband or a wideband O2 feedback.

2010 Zt-2 Wideband has one Linear Wideband Output (white wire)

2010 Zt-3 Wideband has one Linear Wideband Output (white wire) which is a configurable output. The default output matches the Zt-2 2010 output and the Zeitronix Data Logger software may be used to configure the output AFR voltages to match 3rd party engine management systems or gauges."

The EMS usually uses a Wideband 02 input, especially the AEM Unit. Narrow band isn't that useful for accurate readings unless we're talking one of the serious mofo narrow bands that the dyno meters use for linear read outs on runs.

If i'm understanding it right, it looks like the Zt-2 has 1-2 outputs(depending upon year) for EMS systems. No idea about the AEM system tho or whether the ZT-2 exports all info given to it by it's sensors or only a select few. If only a few I'd assume the ems would need some of it's own sensors.

Just to clarify and sorry if I'm being redundant but are you using the MAP sensor that came with the AEM unit? Or a GM unit that is going into the AEM unit first?

You need to find the aux output on the ZT and then feed it into the AEM unit Aux Input.

hope this makes sense. I'd be down to chat on the phone for a few a bit later tonight too if you need some more help. Trying to be more active on the boards lately. Thanks
Old 10-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #9
blades13.5
Zilvia Junkie

I purchased the 3.5bar 50psi MAP sensor from zietronix.
Zeitronix Order Page : Wideband Engine Datalogging Systems and Accessories

Sorry about the low light but this came with the kit when I bought it.

Shows a few imputs ranging from 0-5 volts. Im really new to wiring/ tuning so my knowledge is minimal. I'll be having a professional install and tune everything however I do wanna understand how it works as well as make sure I have Everything when I do go in for tuning. The input output question seems simple enough to call zietronix and just ask them but their closed through the weekends. I'll post Up the info i get in case someone has the same question inthe future.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Ok so you're trying to use the ZT map sensor and ZT wideband with the AEM. Instead of using the UEGO and the AEM MAP sensor or GM MAP sensor. Got it.

AEM should be allowed to have a selection for this wideband input so it can data log inside the AEM software directly.

With regards to the map sensor there should be a sensor select section for the map sensor in the setup menu in the AEM software where you can select this map sensor and get it to work. Otherwise if there is none I would contact AEM direct and ask them for support on this. I am sure they can direct you to the menu to get this synched up.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #11
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63
I'm pretty sure it's the same Map sensor that Zeitronixs sells. Why not email them and see if you can just use the one sensor to work with the ZT2 and a AEM.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #12
bb4_96
Zilvia Addict

bb4_96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Why not configure an output on the AEM for the map voltage? I'm a haltech guy I dont know if AEMs work that way.
bb4_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb4_96 View Post
Why not configure an output on the AEM for the map voltage? I'm a haltech guy I dont know if AEMs work that way.
Yeah exactly would be a lot easier on Haltech just to adjust it yourself, most of the newer AEM units give you a list and you have to pick from that list but depending on his version he should be able to do it manually.