Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
Synergy
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
Synergy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
s14 sr20DET rebuild questions.

Im going to be rebuilding my s14 sr20 shortly and have a few questions so that I can do it once and do it right.

The problem: Oil starvation caused by RTV gasket in the oil pickup And also assisted by 5k launches at the track . I had thought my issue was piston rings not sealing correctly due to a compression test that was a little strange. I think my compression readings being off by 15-40psi was caused by this.

Somehow at the track I started having tons of detonation. This was rocks under the car keys hitting metal audible smashing of motor parts followed by the silence of a dead motor.

The cars spark plugs were removed covered in oil. The pistons all have oil on top of them. The oil pan has the pistons in it.

My blocks already .20 over and since it lived and died in such a manner Id doubt a .20 more would be feasible. I could get a new block and rebuild it.

My concern is what else could "oil starvation" be effecting. I dont want to take everything apart to inspect and put back together only to find out that a part I "thought" was fine is actually not. I know all bearings will obviously be replaced along with the normal hardware ARPs and new gaskets. But above and beyond this should I change anything else out?

My setup currently is
s14 sr20
cp pistons
eagle rods
arp hardware
cometic gaskets
tomei expreme exhaust mani
apexi intake
bc retainers, springs
3 angle valve job
tomei 264 VTC safe cam
t28 DBB (not stock)

Another question. If i need to find a new block can I use a s13 block? According to most the only difference is the 1 hole for VTC. The head overhangs the block slightly so you need to plug the hole in head to prevent oil leakage and switch to a aftermarket cam/gear set and delete the VTC. Is this correct? Is there anyway to keep my VTC with a s13 block.

And last just for fun rebuild my 2871 or buy a hx40? Looking for 350-400wheel with AS FAST as possible spool. Torque>HP. I know SRs dont have torque but they try.

Thanks ~ Kyle
Synergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
I'd inspect the cam retainers and cams. Those would be the other things I'd check for sure for signs of oil starvation damage.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
Synergy
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
Synergy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I forgot to mention a month before blowing the motor had some marks on the cams almost a washed out mark on the lobes. I thought they were defective because they were brand new but Tomei sent new ones out right away and I replaced them.

I will check the cam and entire valvetrain anyways. I had some VTC tick before anyways. Which for people who have a VTC tick can be fixed with a new VTC Solinoid sp? From i think the 5.6L v8 infinti motor. I will try to find the part number but I found it on a phillipino forum for nissans and it was much bigger and my tick went away.
Synergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:29 AM   #4
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Typically, if you hear VTC rattle, it's your cam gear and it's only fix is a new gear. Upgraded cams seem you expedite the failure/constant rattle of said gear. New gear or remove it completely. However, I am an advocate for the VTC and it makes gobs of torque on the SR down low where it's needed. I made 315ftlbs on my S14 SR at 13psi from 4-4.5k.

No you cannot keep VTC on an S13 block.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:42 AM   #5
cousin speed

Trader Rating: (0)
cousin speed is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
hi guys,i have a question concerning a nissan silvia s14. I was hearing a click sound from my block and i decided to take the plugs off just to see what was going on. Plug #1 was smashed. I then started it without the same plug and a piece of metal came out. I put in a new set of plugs and it idled and revd well but then the sound came back again so i removed plugs and this time plug #1 was not smashed but had some small trases of contact. My qyestion is what can cause this? Any help will be appriciated.
cousin speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Hmm, id be concerned with traces of metal scoring the cylinder walls
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #7
OnTheChip
Zilvia Junkie

OnTheChip is an unknown quantity at this point
Might have ingested something, like a throttle plate screw maybe?
OnTheChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
cousin speed

thanks guys,ok i removed the head and found one more particle inside. Must have been from the plug that melted or somthing. I have checked the valves and everything possible,no marks on the walls only small marks on the piston. Looking to put it back on tomorrow and get it started. Is it possible for me to use the same gasket again. The one on seems fine and looks good. Somone told me i can use copper spray and get it back on wudnt be a problem if its still intact. Would it work?
Old 05-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #9
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Put what back on? You said you pulled the spark plugs...
Old 05-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Might as well replace that headgasket now
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #11
LayNLow
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
LayNLow is making a name for him/her selfLayNLow is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Typically, if you hear VTC rattle, it's your cam gear and it's only fix is a new gear. Upgraded cams seem you expedite the failure/constant rattle of said gear. New gear or remove it completely. However, I am an advocate for the VTC and it makes gobs of torque on the SR down low where it's needed. I made 315ftlbs on my S14 SR at 13psi from 4-4.5k.

No you cannot keep VTC on an S13 block.
If he wanted it bad enough he could plug the hole so it doesnt leak, then drill a hole on the side of the head into that oil passage for an external oil feed. If he wants it THAT bad.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:24 AM   #12
cousin speed

jr_ss i ment put the head back on. First i opend the plugs to check. Then when i found a melted one i opend the head. #zombiewolf513 Thanx i will try and get a new one(head gasket).Only problem is id have to order 1 cos around here would be impossible to find one.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #13
cousin speed

anyone know the torque ratios for sr20det cylinder head?
Old 05-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #14
cousin speed

hi,would like some info if anyone knows how many psi an R34 fuel pump is