Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-03-2020, 02:49 PM   #1
MrMigs
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (5)
MrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to MrMigs Send a message via AIM to MrMigs
s14 AMP Draw on OEM Electric Fan

Hi all, anybody know what the amp draw is on the stock efan setup on say an S14?
I've seen the ratings for altima fans and some other stuff on here, but haven't noticed anyone post about the stock one that comes on the car.

Wondering if the oem wire / relay setup is strong enough to handle the amp draw from some fancy aftermarket fans.

Drifting is just a compromise between you and your car.

Last edited by MrMigs; 08-03-2020 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: searched
MrMigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2020, 03:05 PM   #2
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Are u talking about the ac fan?

If so....no the stock relay and wiring wont be enough for a dual aftermarket setup

Last edited by S14rebuild; 08-03-2020 at 03:40 PM..
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:20 PM   #3
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Youll want one 30A aftermarket fuse and relay per fan
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:56 PM   #4
MrMigs
Nissanaholic!

MrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks guise!

Old 08-04-2020, 01:25 AM   #5
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
I dont even trust a 40amp relay for a decent electrical fan,

I use 2x 40 amp relays per electric fan.

Because one may seem to carry the load fine at first. But if you touch it, a general relay, it will be hot. The relay over time will begin to melt. Its like that 40 amp rating isn't meant for constant current... or the wires are just too small to support 40 actual amps. I've seen the same thing with fuel pumps that only pull 20 or 30 amps still melt a 40 amp relay somehow.

Now my fuel pumps get 60 amp relay and the fans get either a 60 or double 40's
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:30 AM   #6
zombiewolf513
BANNED

zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Lol i dont trust them at all. Gktech mechanical fan, baby!
Old 08-05-2020, 07:40 AM   #7
inferno s14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
inferno s14 is making his/her stupidity well-knowninferno s14 is making his/her stupidity well-knowninferno s14 is making his/her stupidity well-knowninferno s14 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I depinned stock relays to run 12 gauge wire that feed the efans.
I jumped the second fan relay to come on with the first one - out puts have a 12 gauge wire to the fans.
No fire, no melted relays everything dandy.

I would not recommend to use the stock wires since they are 18-20 gauge thin on aftermarket e fans. I wouldn?t even recommend doing it the way I did. Honestly if you do not understand the relationship between the proper wire gauge for the amp current for your appliance please have a professional electrician do this, failure to follow proper procedures will result in a fire.
inferno s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:58 PM   #8
MrMigs
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiewolf513 View Post
Lol i dont trust them at all. Gktech mechanical fan, baby!
You know what... I had that before, and I actually had better cooling with the OEM one. I thought I installed it wrong; triple checked, even flipped it... but ya.. I dunno.

There's another brand that makes like... a stock clutch fan blade but it's got more blades. Oh, right. GP Sports. Looks like this: https://www.nengun.com/gp-sports/megatech-cooling-fan

I mainly wanted to go electric fans because it's way more convenient to work on the car with less stuff in the way.

Old 08-11-2020, 09:11 PM   #9
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Thanks for that. I might pick that up and do a comparison.

Ive only ever used e-fans if ive also wired in an indicator light and override switch
Old 08-11-2020, 09:12 PM   #10
MrMigs
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiewolf513 View Post
Thanks for that. I might pick that up and do a comparison.
Cool good luck. Let us know how that turns out... maybe I'll find out I'm just retarded or something hahah