Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-27-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
nismoskyz
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
nismoskyz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
s13 How to change ABS brakes (vs non ABS)

Is there any significant difference in the process of replacing pads and rotors on an S13 with ABS in comparison to doing it on one without ABS.

i've done it without ABS but I'll be doing it on one with ABS so i'm wondering if there's anything in particular that i should know.

i know the part #s are different but is the process the same?

tips?

thanks

(function)(form)^(-1)
nismoskyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2008, 01:19 PM   #2
sunnys14
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
sunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Same exact thing...
sunnys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 01:27 PM   #3
nismoskyz
Zilvia Junkie

perfect. thx

(function)(form)^(-1)
Old 11-27-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
Ragnarok043
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Ragnarok043 is making a name for him/her selfRagnarok043 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
theres no different changing pads and rotors but i believe when bleeding the system you need to bleed the ABS unit 1st then the calipers.
Ragnarok043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:51 PM   #5
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok043 View Post
theres no different changing pads and rotors but i believe when bleeding the system you need to bleed the ABS unit 1st then the calipers.
Incorrect, there is no bleeder on the actuator. However, if you're bleeding the calipers, unplug the actuator. Power to it will keep the pedal from going to the floor completely on every stroke.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:14 PM   #6
nismoskyz
Zilvia Junkie

Shouldn't the pedal not go to the floor completely anyway?

(function)(form)^(-1)
Old 11-27-2008, 04:27 PM   #7
projectRDM
Post Whore!

projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismoskyz View Post
Shouldn't the pedal not go to the floor completely anyway?
If you're bleeding, yes it should. How else does the air get pumped out if the master cylinder can't fully extend? After the air is out, no, it won't bottom out. But the first several times initially it will bottom out or you're not forcing the air out.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
Old 11-27-2008, 04:30 PM   #8
nismoskyz
Zilvia Junkie

(i'm no expert on this so don't think i'm challenging you)
... but i've read that if you push the pedal to the floor when you're bleeding then it can cause air/brake fluid to be sucked back into the system and it can also possibly damage the seals on your BMC.

(function)(form)^(-1)
Old 11-27-2008, 04:38 PM   #9
nismoskyz
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandyflip445 View Post
You don't let the pedal hit the floor cause it can suck fluid(and air) back in then system. Also if you are bleeding the lines after installing your brake lines...
(Helps to have 2 people for any bleeding)
quoted from this thread:
http://zilvia.net/f/archive-faqs/176...ed-brakes.html

(function)(form)^(-1)
Old 11-27-2008, 05:44 PM   #10
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Quote:
(i'm no expert on this so don't think i'm challenging you)
... but i've read that if you push the pedal to the floor when you're bleeding then it can cause air/brake fluid to be sucked back into the system and it can also possibly damage the seals on your BMC.
If the cylinder is fully extended, how can it suck air back in? Only if there's an open port in the system, such as a caliper bleeder, will air pull back in, and only when the pedal is released. Depressing the pedal does nothing except force air/fluid OUT of the cylinder.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:25 PM   #11
nismoskyz
Zilvia Junkie

s13

hmm.. yeah i see what you mean. then what logic do you think whoever stated that was using?

i've also read that depressing all the way when can cause dirt/particles to enter and mess up the seals in your MBC.

im just curious because i recently did my own (non-ABS) brakes and i bled them (using a one-man-bleeder) kit while pressing the pedal to the floor.

afterwards, the pedal would go pretty far to brake. that's when i read about not touching the floor, so i re-bled (alone), this time being careful not to touch the floor. now my brakes feel okay and not as bad as they were the first time.. but the pedal still goes kind of deep.

(function)(form)^(-1)
Old 11-27-2008, 07:28 PM   #12
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Please read very carefully.

Quote:
Is there any significant difference in the process of replacing pads and rotors on an S13 with ABS in comparison to doing it on one without ABS.

i know the part #s are different but is the process the same?
Pads and discs change procedures should be exactly the same because under normal conditions you do not need to bleed. The bleeding procedure is slightly different for ABS.

Quote:
tips?
None necessary provided you don't need to replace a caliper or brake line = requires bleeding.

Inspect all parts: calipers, pads, discs, retaining clips, brake hoses, etc. Repair as appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
Incorrect, there is no bleeder on the actuator. However, if you're bleeding the calipers, unplug the actuator. Power to it will keep the pedal from going to the floor completely on every stroke.
Can you please explain this from the FSM to clear up confusion? Thanks.

Quote:
This is confusing as hell: "3. Close the bleeder before the person pressing the brake fully pressed the brake"

I don't want to challenge OG members so perhaps if you can get that person to respond directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
If the cylinder is fully extended, how can it suck air back in? Only if there's an open port in the system, such as a caliper bleeder, will air pull back in, and only when the pedal is released. Depressing the pedal does nothing except force air/fluid OUT of the cylinder.
I agree with this. Even if you pushed the pedal all the way to the floor, and provided you don't let the pedal retract, there's no air being sucked in. It works just like a syringe. When you're pressing the piston down, how can it be sucking in air? Being at the floor just means the pedal is at the end of its travel.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:56 PM   #13
sunnys14
Zilvia FREAK!

sunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nice
S13 has bleeders on the ABS actuator.

S14 does not.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:41 PM   #14
nismoskyz
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnys14 View Post
S13 has bleeders on the ABS actuator.

S14 does not.

I didn't ask about S14?

(function)(form)^(-1)
Old 11-28-2008, 12:01 AM   #15
sunnys14
Zilvia FREAK!

I know you didn't, I was just clearing up the differences people were talking about bleeding ABS actuators and what not.