Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-05-2008, 04:04 PM   #1
playastarkz123
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
playastarkz123 has a spectacular aura aboutplayastarkz123 has a spectacular aura aboutplayastarkz123 has a spectacular aura aboutplayastarkz123 has a spectacular aura aboutplayastarkz123 has a spectacular aura aboutplayastarkz123 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Running lean + backfire

OK so heres the deal. When i start up my car with the engine cool (left overnight) it normally starts right up and idles smoothly with an afr at about 14.1 to 14.8. IT drives smoothly too until the engine warms up. Then i get a extremely lean idle higher than 18 where my aem wideband just displays three dashes across it. At this time the car also begins to idle roughly and stalls. Under partial throttle it sputters and on the deceleration it backfires and shoots flames alot. however once i punch the throttle afr's are normal 10.8-11.6 and it accelerates smoothly. But once i begin to idle again the problem continues. i pulles a code from the ecu and it was 1 3 which i believe is CTS, when i changed it, i still got the same code.

if it helps my mods are : redtop sr20det, stock t25, FMIC, megan racing manifold, 3" dp (no flex pipe), 3" apexi N1 catback, megan racing FPR, walboro 255 lph, SAFC (tuned @ ivey tune) boost at 14 lbs via halman MBC, koyo radiator, turbo XS RFL bov, z32 maf

so far:
i have set the timing at 15 degrees BTDC according to FSM
changed coolant temp sensor
changed fuel filter
set Decel air settings on SAFC (to compensate for atmospheric BOV)
checked visually for vaccum leaks
changed valve cover and spark plug gaskets
set IACV

also at WOT i am not losing boost. ANY input would be appreciated

Last edited by playastarkz123; 08-05-2008 at 07:11 PM..
playastarkz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2008, 04:22 PM   #2
1989rps13
BANNED

Trader Rating: (10)
1989rps13 has a reputation beyond repute1989rps13 has a reputation beyond repute1989rps13 has a reputation beyond repute1989rps13 has a reputation beyond repute1989rps13 has a reputation beyond repute1989rps13 has a reputation beyond repute1989rps13 has a reputation beyond repute1989rps13 has a reputation beyond repute1989rps13 has a reputation beyond repute1989rps13 has a reputation beyond repute1989rps13 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 1989rps13
damn i experience the same thing with mine
1989rps13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:45 PM   #3
aa87
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
aa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aa87
Check gas tank, fuel pump sock might be clogged in shit.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:22 PM   #4
SixSpeedSleuth
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
SixSpeedSleuth is a splendid one to beholdSixSpeedSleuth is a splendid one to beholdSixSpeedSleuth is a splendid one to beholdSixSpeedSleuth is a splendid one to beholdSixSpeedSleuth is a splendid one to beholdSixSpeedSleuth is a splendid one to beholdSixSpeedSleuth is a splendid one to beholdSixSpeedSleuth is a splendid one to beholdSixSpeedSleuth is a splendid one to beholdSixSpeedSleuth is a splendid one to beholdSixSpeedSleuth is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
What's your base fuel pressure?
SixSpeedSleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:38 PM   #5
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
have you pressure tested your setup?

what about taking the SAFC out of the equation alltogether, and then seeing how she works?

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:09 PM   #6
playastarkz123
Zilvia Junkie

playastarkz123 has a spectacular aura aboutplayastarkz123 has a spectacular aura aboutplayastarkz123 has a spectacular aura aboutplayastarkz123 has a spectacular aura aboutplayastarkz123 has a spectacular aura aboutplayastarkz123 has a spectacular aura about
my fuel pressure is right around 43 psi @ idle

no i havent, i have a pressure tester and an air compressor but the tester doesnt fit on my intake pipe, i guess ill have to buy a reducing coupler to make it fit

ill also take out my fuel pump and take a look at the sock, how often should these be replaced/cleaned

as for the suggestion about the safc, do you mean set everything to zero % correction? wouldnt that definately cause me to run lean?
Old 08-05-2008, 07:44 PM   #7
makulit054
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
makulit054 is a glorious beacon of lightmakulit054 is a glorious beacon of lightmakulit054 is a glorious beacon of lightmakulit054 is a glorious beacon of lightmakulit054 is a glorious beacon of lightmakulit054 is a glorious beacon of lightmakulit054 is a glorious beacon of lightmakulit054 is a glorious beacon of lightmakulit054 is a glorious beacon of lightmakulit054 is a glorious beacon of lightmakulit054 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
check your TPS voltage. I adjusted my tps voltage to .5v at idle it doesn't sputter or backfire. Another good idea is to recirc your bov. That will solve most of your sputtering and backfiring during deceleration.
makulit054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:21 PM   #8
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
hmmm, changed stock o2 sensor yet?

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:31 PM   #9
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by playastarkz123 View Post
my fuel pressure is right around 43 psi @ idle

no i havent, i have a pressure tester and an air compressor but the tester doesnt fit on my intake pipe, i guess ill have to buy a reducing coupler to make it fit

ill also take out my fuel pump and take a look at the sock, how often should these be replaced/cleaned

as for the suggestion about the safc, do you mean set everything to zero % correction? wouldnt that definately cause me to run lean?

I mean take the SAFC out all together.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:06 AM   #10
playastarkz123
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
I mean take the SAFC out all together.
ohh ok ill try that this afternoon,

I have changed the stock 02 sensor too, forgot to include that in the OP
Old 08-06-2008, 08:35 PM   #11
playastarkz123
Zilvia Junkie

So i went and took a look at the fuel pump sock. its a little brown. I took it out and poured water on it to see how clogged it was, and i guess it was somewhat cloggy but not alot, i guess ill change it and see what happens though. heres some pics

ohh yea and while i was doin that i F'ed up my the 0-ring gasket , now gas spills when ever the car is on, so ill be on my way to the dealership in the morning to fix that. heres a pic of that

Old 08-06-2008, 08:47 PM   #12
ROIDMONKEY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
ROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfectionROIDMONKEY is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
same happened to me with theO ring. i cut it evenly and stretched a bit then i apply clear silicone. that solved my o ring problem. i did it that way cause it was friday. otherwise i would it get a new one. its holding pretty good. over 2 months

and on the other problem u r having, something similar is happening to me but the other way. im having cold start problems. car cold cars iddle very bad wideband display 000 or ---- lean as fuck. cars get warm then cars fix himself . we didnt run the in and out hoses on the throttle body on this setup just to get away of the hot air going inside manifold (from hot water) but i cant take this cold start problem anymore so im going to connect those water hoses tomorrow and see if it fix the cold start problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by playastarkz123 View Post
So i went and took a look at the fuel pump sock. its a little brown. I took it out and poured water on it to see how clogged it was, and i guess it was somewhat cloggy but not alot, i guess ill change it and see what happens though. heres some pics

ohh yea and while i was doin that i F'ed up my the 0-ring gasket , now gas spills when ever the car is on, so ill be on my way to the dealership in the morning to fix that. heres a pic of that

TRUE thing: True ////OFFSET\\\\ is acheived without spacers
Running on E85 570whp Precision 5862....laggy as fuck. hate it
ROIDMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote