Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-07-2014, 10:51 PM   #1
zbarsuglia
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
zbarsuglia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
speakers that work well in an s14

So I'm looking to buy some new speakers, I would really like som info on what speakers you guys run and how they sound.

I currently have JVC 6.5s all around with a JVC kW av60 head unit. It sounds really tinny and lacks midbass.

I want an overall crisp sound with some midbass
zbarsuglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2014, 12:26 AM   #2
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
On what year car? If its Zenki, might be a shitty amplifier.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:45 AM   #3
FLG
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
FLG is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I bought these & for the price they're surprisingly good.
Make sure you wired the speakers so they're running of the head unit amp and not the cars built in amps depending on the car.
FLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:53 AM   #4
SilviaSR20DET
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
SilviaSR20DET is making a name for him/her selfSilviaSR20DET is making a name for him/her selfSilviaSR20DET is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I highly recommend you get a seperate amp to power at least the front speakers on a s14. Stock cd decks won't cut it if you really like listening to quality music. I run a amp that powers my fronts and subwoofer, 4 channel amp. They are cheap anyways to buy nowadays. Infiniti's are pretty decent and polks too.
SilviaSR20DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:17 AM   #5
silviasandbeer
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
silviasandbeer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i had infinity speakers in my old car powered by an ampifier and the quality was great and loud, no distortion at high volume
so +1 for getting an amplifier for the door speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
I'm not kingtalon crazy, but I have standards
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
What age is appropriate to give your kids the sex talk? Is 3 too soon?
silviasandbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:45 AM   #6
zbarsuglia
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
On what year car? If its Zenki, might be a shitty amplifier.
Its a 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilviaSR20DET View Post
I highly recommend you get a seperate amp to power at least the front speakers on a s14. Stock cd decks won't cut it if you really like listening to quality music. I run a amp that powers my fronts and subwoofer, 4 channel amp. They are cheap anyways to buy nowadays. Infiniti's are pretty decent and polks too.
I don't have a stock CD deck. But I do plan on getting a amp and an 8" sub. Thanks I've heard good things about both of those brands

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviasandbeer View Post
i had infinity speakers in my old car powered by an ampifier and the quality was great and loud, no distortion at high volume
so +1 for getting an amplifier for the door speakers
Thanks!
Old 05-08-2014, 11:46 AM   #7
zbarsuglia
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLG View Post
I bought these & for the price they're surprisingly good.
Make sure you wired the speakers so they're running of the head unit amp and not the cars built in amps depending on the car.
I read your post as you referring to them as "pricey" I literally laughed out loud till I reread your post. Thanks I'll look at some reviews. Atm I'm leaning towards infinitys
Old 05-08-2014, 12:09 PM   #8
gearhead290
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
gearhead290 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to gearhead290 Send a message via MSN to gearhead290
Your speakers aren't out of phase are they?
gearhead290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:41 PM   #9
Seraphim38
Zilvia Addict

Seraphim38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Seraphim38
an external amplifier, even something like a Massive Audio, Arc Audio or other small footprint class D amplifier will be a vast improvement in sound quality over any head unit power.

Mid bass is tough to get. Adding even an 8" sub will help a lot though I would suggest going with at least a 10" sub. Look at Sundown Audio, Obsidian and other comparable quality / value providers. The CarAudio.com forum or DIYmobile forums can be a good read.

Affordable component speakers can be had, and can also help a great deal at improving overall volume.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:21 PM   #10
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
If components and ARC amp are out of the question then I suggest these with alpine amp. Will blow away any setup for the price.
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TSD160.../dp/B00126KB9Q
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:01 PM   #11
zbarsuglia
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead290 View Post
Your speakers aren't out of phase are they?
One is blown and probably out of phase. Who knows. I don't even know what that means to be honest lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphim38 View Post
an external amplifier, even something like a Massive Audio, Arc Audio or other small footprint class D amplifier will be a vast improvement in sound quality over any head unit power.

Mid bass is tough to get. Adding even an 8" sub will help a lot though I would suggest going with at least a 10" sub. Look at Sundown Audio, Obsidian and other comparable quality / value providers. The CarAudio.com forum or DIYmobile forums can be a good read.

Affordable component speakers can be had, and can also help a great deal at improving overall volume.
I was looking at some jbl components. With an arc amp. Opinion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by az_240 View Post
If components and ARC amp are out of the question then I suggest these with alpine amp. Will blow away any setup for the price.
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TSD160.../dp/B00126KB9Q
I'm willing to spend about 500 on a setup. So would you recommend infinity or jbl components?
Old 05-08-2014, 09:05 PM   #12
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
I have the ARC 804 amp and can say it is pretty amazing... Broadfield can hook you up with one of these. I don't have experience with infinity or jbl components though.... currently in the market for some myself.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:45 PM   #13
Seraphim38
Zilvia Addict

Seraphim38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Seraphim38
Infinity components are decent but can be bright. I prefer morel components or coaxes. 500 can get you everything

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2014, 08:32 AM   #14
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Ask Toby Broadfield.....he is a sponsor here and has some great pricing. He can piece together whatever you need for whatever budget you have. He has a thread "ask Broadfield"
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:41 AM   #15
TerribleTopher
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
TerribleTopher is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I agree with seraphim, go with a 10" sub. Your head unit has a lot to do with the sound quality of your speakers. What's the RMS wattage on your head unit? I like both infinity and Polk. Can't go wrong with either. I'm running a single Alpine type R 12" sub, Alpine 500W amp and it sounds good. I wish I would have went with a 10" though. I got the Alpine because my friend worked at best buy so I paid next to nothing but there are better subs to be had.
TerribleTopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:44 PM   #16
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
OP, what is your budget on speakers? If you want the best entry level stuff, then I would recommend Hybrid Audio for the speakers and ARC Audio for the amplifier... you will not find anything better, period! If you want something better than entry level, which it doesn't sound like you do, then you would still do Hybrid Audio for speakers and ARC Audio for the amplifier. If you are looking for a nice entry level sub, the 10" Alpine Type-S is actually a great sub this year... really hard to beat. Another great option would be an ARC Audio 10" XDi series. Hybrid Audio and ARC Audio are actually under priced for their performance level. As opposed to JL Audio which is overpriced for its performance level. I also sell JL Audio for what it's worth... but would almost never recommend it over ARC or Hybrid. Please let me know if you need pricing on anything that I have recommended.

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:41 PM   #17
zbarsuglia
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadfield View Post
OP, what is your budget on speakers? If you want the best entry level stuff, then I would recommend Hybrid Audio for the speakers and ARC Audio for the amplifier... you will not find anything better, period! If you want something better than entry level, which it doesn't sound like you do, then you would still do Hybrid Audio for speakers and ARC Audio for the amplifier. If you are looking for a nice entry level sub, the 10" Alpine Type-S is actually a great sub this year... really hard to beat. Another great option would be an ARC Audio 10" XDi series. Hybrid Audio and ARC Audio are actually under priced for their performance level. As opposed to JL Audio which is overpriced for its performance level. I also sell JL Audio for what it's worth... but would almost never recommend it over ARC or Hybrid. Please let me know if you need pricing on anything that I have recommended.
Thank you everyone for your posts and input. Greatly appreciated it is lol

Price range is around 500. I just want a setup that sounds deep? Or, idk how to explain it.. Crisp clear deep and good bass.
Ya if you could quote me on a setup that you would recommend that kinda fits my description.

Sorry for my horrible grammar I'm distracted by my family... Mothers day lol
Old 05-11-2014, 07:41 PM   #18
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarsuglia View Post
Thank you everyone for your posts and input. Greatly appreciated it is lol

Price range is around 500. I just want a setup that sounds deep? Or, idk how to explain it.. Crisp clear deep and good bass.
Ya if you could quote me on a setup that you would recommend that kinda fits my description.

Sorry for my horrible grammar I'm distracted by my family... Mothers day lol
If you are willing to spend around $560 shipped then I could do the Hybrid Audio Mirus 6.5" front and rear. Then the ARC Audio XDi 804 for the 4-channel amplifier. However, if you want the best mid-bass possible, you will need to sound deaden the doors and rear deck to seal up all of the access holes in the metal of the door and rear deck. This will eliminate the possibility of the front waves interacting with the rear waves of the speaker... which if that happens it cancels out the mid-bass. The Hybrid speakers are all a true infinite baffle design... which makes it capable of great mid-bass. Most of your other brands of speakers are not a true infinite baffle. So they are not capable of great mid-bass not matter what you do. I also sell high-end sound deadening and amplifier wiring, for a fair price, if you want that too.

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:08 PM   #19
rvns14
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (18)
rvns14 is a splendid one to beholdrvns14 is a splendid one to beholdrvns14 is a splendid one to beholdrvns14 is a splendid one to beholdrvns14 is a splendid one to beholdrvns14 is a splendid one to beholdrvns14 is a splendid one to beholdrvns14 is a splendid one to beholdrvns14 is a splendid one to beholdrvns14 is a splendid one to beholdrvns14 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
I had focal 165 components and they filled my jeep, loved them.
rvns14 is offline   Reply With Quote