Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-09-2009, 09:40 AM   #31
harangatang
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
harangatang can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres_G View Post
No, I didn't mean how your clear covers are holding on. I was wondering about your E46 shrouds, what did you use to get them to stick to the projectors? And what mounting method did you use?
]

Haha! Oooo. On the shrounds I just put some 3M industrial double sided tape on those bitches. I messed with them for like an hour trying to figure it out then just said F it.

Your harness looks too complicated lawlzzz. I soldiered 2 wires... Done lol.

Anybody have S2 projectors?

harangatang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #32
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (22)
s14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14unimog
I'm sorry but I'm a huge Zenki fan and have been working on my 96 for over 6 years, and I just cannot get on board with the projector retrofit. It doesn't look good at all, really ever. I think you guys have given it a solid attempt but I just think its not for this body style...

SHIFTlock_slide to side

d3m3rs0n: if i have a baby im naming it Brandons Fault Emerson
s14unimog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #33
Mikey444
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Mikey444 is making a name for him/her selfMikey444 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Whomp whomp whomp...somebody slap him lol < zenki's with hid retrofits look bomb.

Especially on this one. Looks very clean and neat. Inspires me to do them on my car when i get the money.

Mikey444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:07 AM   #34
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

s14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond repute
^ you're nuts... that looks meh.. at best. It doesn't flow with the exterior looks of the car at all.

SHIFTlock_slide to side

Old 11-10-2009, 09:19 AM   #35
bshotts
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
bshotts is making a name for him/her selfbshotts is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bshotts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14unimog View Post
^ you're nuts... that looks meh.. at best. It doesn't flow with the exterior looks of the car at all.
I see your point about the body lines or overall look of the Zenki with retrofits...but in my opinion it has more to do with how the projector and shroud are mounted inside the reflector housing. Traditional retrofits have you put the projector inside the reflector from the front and, at least for the Zenki reflector, that places the shroud very close to the lens producing the "bug-eyed" effect. If the shroud is first made to fit deeper into the reflector then the projector inserted from the backside, it makes for a much cleaner and OEM look. Seems like the USDM bumper and amber fluted lens don't help much either...too much going on. That's why mmm858's retro looks so simple is because of the Navan bumper and clear front turn signals.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

More to come as I wrap these up...
Zoom in a little more, it's not blurry enough.

Last edited by bshotts; 11-10-2009 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: more ideas
bshotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:29 AM   #36
JRas
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
JRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfectionJRas is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JRas
anyone have pictures of how the fitment is with plastic covers?

curious what it looks like compared to OEM
Old 11-10-2009, 11:41 AM   #37
bshotts
Zilvia Junkie

bshotts is making a name for him/her selfbshotts is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRas View Post
anyone have pictures of how the fitment is with plastic covers?

curious what it looks like compared to OEM
I don't think you'll get much of a better idea than the pictures I posted above ^^^^ unless someone wants to remove theirs from the car. You can see the outer edge follows the OEM housing edge fairly close, enough to where I didn't do any trimming. Just take your time sealing them up to the OEM housing and make notches in the edge where the OEM retaining clips snap on to help keep them in place.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:54 AM   #38
SlideWell
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
SlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
yeah, make sure you zip tie them (with a barrier underneath so you dont damage the lens) when you seal them.
SlideWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:08 PM   #39
mad-ass
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
mad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mad-ass
Here's how I delt with the sealing time. I had it sitting like so for about a day before i put it on the car.

I put it on the car in january 2009, I haven't had a single problem with it. no leak..no nothing.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:44 PM   #40
harangatang
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
I'm sorry but I'm a huge Zenki fan and have been working on my 96 for over 6 years, and I just cannot get on board with the projector retrofit. It doesn't look good at all, really ever. I think you guys have given it a solid attempt but I just think its not for this body style...
I partially agree.... Either a kouki front-end, or Euro Glass headlights look better. Kouki is just more $$. And hid's in the glass housing are just as bad as hid's in regular reflectors. Worse actually. The glass lenses are fluted more so then the disgusting oem yellow covers. Creating yet, more glare.
So I decided to retro. It does take getting used to but I like it. And your oem headlights, zenki or kouki, can't compare output wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshotts View Post
I see your point about the body lines or overall look of the Zenki with retrofits...but in my opinion it has more to do with how the projector and shroud are mounted inside the reflector housing. Traditional retrofits have you put the projector inside the reflector from the front and, at least for the Zenki reflector, that places the shroud very close to the lens producing the "bug-eyed" effect. If the shroud is first made to fit deeper into the reflector then the projector inserted from the backside, it makes for a much cleaner and OEM look. Seems like the USDM bumper and amber fluted lens don't help much either...too much going on. That's why mmm858's retro looks so simple is because of the Navan bumper and clear front turn signals.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

More to come as I wrap these up...
damn!!! Yours are looking mighty nice bro! Gj. I seated my projectors as far back as I could get them. I really wanted to cover the rear of the projector somehow but I didn't bother. I'm really happy with mine as is lol. I agree with you on the "simple and clean" part. I need to get clear side markers and turn signals. And fix the gap between my hood-bumper. Stupid fender benders /
I'm putting some new shoes on this weekend. And possibly switching back to my oem white hood. I'll be posting pics of it asap ;-]]

Old 11-10-2009, 01:47 PM   #41
harangatang
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
I don't think you'll get much of a better idea than the pictures I posted above ^^^^ unless someone wants to remove theirs from the car. You can see the outer edge follows the OEM housing edge fairly close, enough to where I didn't do any trimming. Just take your time sealing them up to the OEM housing and make notches in the edge where the OEM retaining clips snap on to help keep them in place.
Do you have some pics of the back of your housing?? I'm curious to see how much you cut out to seat them so far back. And how you mounted them.

Tyler

Old 11-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #42
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

I mean I feel yeah, its not terrible. I think the ones you did ,including some of the ones listed above, look pretty decent. I will agree with the statement to keep it simple, clean, and bury those puppies as far back into the housing as possible. There is good effort here and my response is merely opinion; there are far worse things that you could have done.

When I get home, I'll post a picture of a Zenki projector retro-fit that I think doesn't look THAT bad but its behind clean OEM covers, or possibly glass ones, so I'm not sure what the light patterns would look like...

EDIT
see, that looks pretty cool; ignore the eye lids... I wonder what the output is like...

SHIFTlock_slide to side

Last edited by s14unimog; 11-11-2009 at 08:15 PM..
Old 11-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #43
harangatang
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
I mean I feel yeah, its not terrible. I think the ones you did ,including some of the ones listed above, look pretty decent. I will agree with the statement to keep it simple, clean, and bury those puppies as far back into the housing as possible. There is good effort here and my response is merely opinion; there are far worse things that you could have done.

When I get home, I'll post a picture of a Zenki projector retro-fit that I think doesn't look THAT bad but its behind clean OEM covers, or possibly glass ones, so I'm not sure what the light patterns would look like...
Lol. Projectors behind oem or glass lenses is so so so much worse then just regular oem headlights. I drove like that for a couple days. Couldn't see shit. The glare was so bad I couldn't adjust my headlights.... Made no difference all the way up, or down.

I'm curious to see if a 2' projector would look better? The tsx is 2.5'...
Next project lol.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:03 AM   #44
mad-ass
Nissanaholic!

mad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud of
Here are bit more pictures of my clear lenses I got.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:05 AM   #45
kikcaffine
Zilvia Addict

kikcaffine is an unknown quantity at this point
So where can I buy the lenses ready to drop into the head lights with out having to cut them all up?
kikcaffine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:47 AM   #46
bshotts
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikcaffine View Post
So where can I buy the lenses ready to drop into the head lights with out having to cut them all up?
You don't necessarily "drop" the lenses into the head light assemblies. The polycarbonate lens matches the shape of the OEM covers and have a flat mating surface that butt up against the outer edge of the OEM assembly. Sealing the covers to the OEM assembly can be done a variety of ways...most end up using some sort of silicone or black RTV. Like it's been said before, you need to apply pressure while the sealant cures to completely seal the assembly and prevent moisture from building up inside the covers.

Try looking at Enjuku or Touge Factory's websites...they usually have great prices on these.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:54 AM   #47
kikcaffine
Zilvia Addict

kikcaffine is an unknown quantity at this point
Ah I gotcha, did something very similar when I swapped E36 headlights into my 3g Maxima. We used these clear covers cut to match.

Thanks for the help bshotts
kikcaffine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #48
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

^Talk about terrible glare, hell my HID's behind OEM housings aren't that bad...

SHIFTlock_slide to side

Old 11-12-2009, 12:19 AM   #49
mad-ass
Nissanaholic!

I had same HID's when I had the OEM Covers as well, They just glare light's everywhere and well, I got highbeamed all the time because of that.

With the Clear lenses, I never get flashed any more because the light doesn't extend out to the opposit traffic any more. and way more light out put for sure.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:55 AM   #50
dct223
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
dct223 is just really nicedct223 is just really nicedct223 is just really nicedct223 is just really nicedct223 is just really nicedct223 is just really nicedct223 is just really nicedct223 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dct223
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad-ass View Post
Here are bit more pictures of my clear lenses I got.
wow that is some TERRIBLE glare... clear lenses without a projector retrofit is not very smart..

i got euro glass with a HID kit. The igniters I have have those shroud things on them that look like. http://i23.ebayimg.com/03/i/08/d4/cd/a2_1.JPG

def helps with the scatter, I def have a pretty decent cut off. No one high beams me, had the HIDs since like 05, got the euros last year...

can take a picture later if you wish..
Old 11-12-2009, 01:33 AM   #51
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Jesus christ Lee...you need to atleast adjust your headlight down. That glare is fucking horrible...shit looks like an angry monster ready to blind you.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:39 AM   #52
mad-ass
Nissanaholic!

Sadly, they are adjusted far down as possible. I'd have to get in someone else's car and look at my own lights some day to see how blinding my lights really are. haha.

fuck my 450D and it's clear details. haha.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:17 AM   #53
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

^ I've had HID's behind my new-ish OEM plastic housings and I have NEVER been flashed in over 2 years... No lie. The glare in the pictures above reminds me of those pictures the therapist shows you... "what do you see here?"

SHIFTlock_slide to side

Old 11-12-2009, 09:49 AM   #54
bshotts
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:

EDIT
see, that looks pretty cool; ignore the eye lids... I wonder what the output is like...
I agree I think it looks decent but I can see the shroud he used looks like the E46 replica shroud most of us Zenki retrofitters have used and I just don't necessarilly see the point of having a shroud to hide the projector shell if you are going to put the projector behind fluted lenses anyway.

Ignoring how it looks inside the reflector housing, the light output from any projector/HID combo WILL be degraded if it has to travel through anything but air (i.e. fluted lens, glass or plastic). Even behind a polycarbonate lens like the ones in this thread, there is minor light distortion because of the wall thickness of the lens and how the light must travel through it before hitting the open environment.

The three reasons I did my retrofit was 1) to draw less amperage from the alternator (OEM bulbs were 55W each = 8.5 amps, HID bulbs after initial startup are 35W each = 5.5 amps) thereby increasing my gas mileage by minimum 50 mpg , 2) to increase light output from the OEM fluted lenses - let's face it almost anything would be better compared to the faded plastic covers - and 3) to update the Zenki with current technology. I see projectors/HID and even LED headlight technology as becoming the industry standard soon enough. Why shouldn't we have the benefit of this beautiful combo?

My full write up on my retrofit should be out here by end of week.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #55
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
I agree I think it looks decent but I can see the shroud he used looks like the E46 replica shroud most of us Zenki retrofitters have used and I just don't necessarily see the point of having a shroud to hide the projector shell if you are going to put the projector behind fluted lenses anyway.
I'm sure it looks better than having no shroud since you have similar colors and surfaces. I've got no idea what the output on these are and I couldn't say that they would be terrible either. If I were to do a projector retro fit, I would have to do it behind fluted lenses; its just too bug-eyed otherwise... What would be cool is if you had a brand new pair of OEM plastic fluted covers and you machined out a flat surface right where the projector is to shine through. Then you have the benefits of the fluted look, which looks WAY better on a Zenki, and you still have a clear spot to shine through. That's what you see on a big percentage of the projector fitted cars on the road today. I have yet to see THAT retro-fit

What covers are you going to use in your retro-fit?

SHIFTlock_slide to side

Old 11-13-2009, 07:31 PM   #56
harangatang
Zilvia Addict

WOW!!!
Lol. That's what mine looked like. Fucking horrible...
Would like to buy clear lenses?

Old 11-13-2009, 08:20 PM   #57
GunmetalSR
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
GunmetalSR is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
harangatang's setup is soo sick looking
anyway i used black rtv silicone and alot of it...i also used a dremel to cut notches so the clip holds it better and covered it in silicone lol
i hav e46 projectors with e46 bezels painted black retofited into my high beams with 6 k hids
the low beams are still reflector housings but are sprayed black so they dont produce that much light but i hav black metal flakes on the low beam said which makes the light shimmer on the housing(the lows are mostly for show bc they look sooo sick) and they highs and lows are wired together
GunmetalSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:09 PM   #58
harangatang
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunmetalSR View Post
harangatang's setup is soo sick looking
anyway i used black rtv silicone and alot of it...i also used a dremel to cut notches so the clip holds it better and covered it in silicone lol
i hav e46 projectors with e46 bezels painted black retofited into my high beams with 6 k hids
the low beams are still reflector housings but are sprayed black so they dont produce that much light but i hav black metal flakes on the low beam said which makes the light shimmer on the housing(the lows are mostly for show bc they look sooo sick) and they highs and lows are wired together
No pics=fail!!! Lol
I wanna see that shit haha
and thanks for the compliment

Old 11-14-2009, 01:14 PM   #59
GunmetalSR
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
GunmetalSR is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
No pics=fail!!! Lol
I wanna see that shit haha
and thanks for the compliment
i know i know
i hav a problem though
some douche bag decided to break into my 240 and steals some shit including my camera so at the moment im out of luck
GunmetalSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:19 PM   #60
Turbo Nismo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (18)
Turbo Nismo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Nice ride, where did you bought those headlights and how much they cost? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
Same shit I used. Just not from Nissan. Picked it up from autozone for like $9.

Here's a more recent pic with E46 shrouds:

enjoy!!
;-)

Tyler
Turbo Nismo is offline   Reply With Quote