Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-23-2008, 06:59 PM   #61
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
gsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I didnt have any dust issues, as boosted98 said the temperature was so hot the paint flashed very fast. In fact the day i painted the temperature was about 100 even with the high temp hardner i had trouble getting the clear to flow.

And yes the windshield is cracked.... again.

As for the radiator support , i welded in the lower portion and made the upper portion removable as to make it easier to take the engine in and out. I will have the upper portion powder coated flat black.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2008, 07:14 PM   #62
TougeLabs
Premium Member

TougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to TougeLabs
Great job man car is looking really nice...
TougeLabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:41 PM   #63
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Trader Rating: (10)
NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NemeGuero
shoulda stayed znki....
Old 07-23-2008, 09:42 PM   #64
zaquanh
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
zaquanh has a spectacular aura aboutzaquanh has a spectacular aura aboutzaquanh has a spectacular aura aboutzaquanh has a spectacular aura aboutzaquanh has a spectacular aura aboutzaquanh has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
what kind of hood is on ur car
zaquanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:03 PM   #65
WangonwWarrior
Zilvia FREAK!

Location: Amerika24 alabama: Where if your not first..... your last
Trader Rating: (15)
WangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant futureWangonwWarrior has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
propd on the attention to detail
Old 07-24-2008, 10:35 AM   #66
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsracer View Post
As for the radiator support , i welded in the lower portion and made the upper portion removable as to make it easier to take the engine in and out. I will have the upper portion powder coated flat black.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!
Old 07-24-2008, 10:47 AM   #67
kaje36
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
kaje36 is a glorious beacon of lightkaje36 is a glorious beacon of lightkaje36 is a glorious beacon of lightkaje36 is a glorious beacon of lightkaje36 is a glorious beacon of lightkaje36 is a glorious beacon of lightkaje36 is a glorious beacon of lightkaje36 is a glorious beacon of lightkaje36 is a glorious beacon of lightkaje36 is a glorious beacon of lightkaje36 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kaje36
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsracer View Post
I definitely want to know a lot more about this! I had a feeling that is what you were doing, I have been working on the same project myself, and I would love to know how to are planing to do it. if you got some time IM me kajeqxs
kaje36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:06 PM   #68
rb25crazy
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (14)
rb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
hey i have a question bout air guns.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=47016

i just bought that air gun it doesn't say hlvp but, it does work my compressor it has the amount of cfm it needs.

it's 50-70 psi is this range to high for automotive paint? or it wouldn't matter?

i see that a lot of automotive spray hlvp guns are around the range of 40psi

would this make my gun useless for automotive paint?

thanks
rb25crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:40 AM   #69
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
idahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to idahotuner Send a message via MSN to idahotuner
my method for painting my car is to have my dad do it for me lol. worked on my integra and hopefully on my 240. should be painted before the end of the week
idahotuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:49 AM   #70
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (22)
s14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14unimog
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb25crazy View Post
hey i have a question bout air guns.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=47016

i just bought that air gun it doesn't say hlvp but, it does work my compressor it has the amount of cfm it needs.

it's 50-70 psi is this range to high for automotive paint? or it wouldn't matter?

i see that a lot of automotive spray hlvp guns are around the range of 40psi

would this make my gun useless for automotive paint?

thanks
there isn't a "HLVP"

Its either High Volume Low Pressure (HVLP)

OR

Low Volume High Pressure. (LVHP)

SHIFTlock_slide to side

d3m3rs0n: if i have a baby im naming it Brandons Fault Emerson
s14unimog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:31 AM   #71
rb25crazy
Zilvia FREAK!

rb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of lightrb25crazy is a glorious beacon of light
yea yea it's just a typo you know what i mean. so aside from the grammar police my question still didn't get answered
Old 07-29-2008, 04:58 PM   #72
alkemyst
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
alkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to alkemyst
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb25crazy View Post
yea yea it's just a typo you know what i mean. so aside from the grammar police my question still didn't get answered
yeah fuck those idiots.

HVLP Spray Gun Setup

I looked it up as I am looking for a gun too. Costco had a setup for $79 with both types of guns included I think. I was in a rush and will look at it this weekend.

It compares to the 43430 and 38308 guns. AFAIK though it's just a basic gravity feed....it can be adapted.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:21 PM   #73
rb25crazy
Zilvia FREAK!

well, i'm going to get this hvlp gun Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

since the other one you listed has a way to high cfm for my compressor to do it =( i got this compressor to Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

not bad for the price. like 200+ for the whole set up.

paints hella expensive though, even for an oem color code. anyone know of a place that has the hook up?
Old 08-31-2008, 09:08 PM   #74
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Any more progress on paint? I was realllllllllly hoping to see OEM S14 aero on wide body....so I could be forced to spend too much money on wide body and new wheels for my car, lol

Instagram - SJKnoop
95KA-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:28 AM   #75
silpena
Zilvia Addict

silpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to behold
i can sorta get a hook up on paint at a store i go to get supplies. Oh and rb25crazy the reason ur gun says 50-70 is becuase its a normal gun. hvlps just have a high efficany tip that helps waste less materials. They operate the same but a lower velocity but same volume of paint so more gets on your ride and not in the air. Your gun is good but i would get another one just to have designated guns. One for paint and one for clear. Helps save time and hassel.
silpena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:13 PM   #76
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

gsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond repute
Well as we continue along on year 2 of this project, i got bored of fucking with the engine and accessories and decided to get over my depression of working on this car and start on the body work again. Ill be updating this thread regularly as i finish here shortly.

You cant tell from the pictures but i stripped all the primer off the wide body panels after i realized they had more waves than the pacific ocean. Where you see them here is after about 20-25 hours ( weekends and nights only) of filling and blocking. I almost went thru to raw fiberglass in places but the end was worth it, the panel for the most part is straight as an arrow.

I also took the chance to get the roof done while i was doing the quarters so i could prime everything and there would be no tape. The black streaks you see here are the "guide coat" this helps you figure out where the high and low spots are.

I decided since i had sanded so much of the gel coat off, that it was better to use an epoxy primer because it pretty much bonds to the substrate and seals it from being able to absorb anything later. Ie moisture, paint etc. I just shot everything with it. 2 coats. When mixing epoxy primer its important to follow the instructions very carefully, it mixes just like epoxy glue. 1 part primer and 1 part catalyst. The particular one i used was dupont and after it mixed you have to leave it sit for half to one hour so it could induct, then let it dry for at least 1 hour before you spray anything on top of it.

After the epoxy was dried, i waited 3 hours just to be safe. I shot 3 coats of 2k urethane primer, for final sanding. The car is pretty straight as it is, these final coats will ensure it is a show car finish i will destroy on a track somewhere.

From here i will move on to the doors and trunk, look for those next weekend hopefully
Old 01-05-2009, 05:27 PM   #77
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
awesome, resubscribing.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:59 AM   #78
C-unit
Nissanaholic!

C-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to all
very nice..i wish I have the patient to do this!!
C-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:03 AM   #79
silpena
Zilvia Addict

silpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to beholdsilpena is a splendid one to behold
nice! glad to see ur project getting along. Are you gonna block and primer the roof again untill its straight? pick up some primer filler. Helps alot in blocking. Kinda cheating but helps alot if you want to reduce sanding and blocking over and over.
silpena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:07 AM   #80
opponheimer
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
opponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
why didn't you paint the rad. support in the beginning?
opponheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:21 AM   #81
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silpena View Post
nice! glad to see ur project getting along. Are you gonna block and primer the roof again untill its straight? pick up some primer filler. Helps alot in blocking. Kinda cheating but helps alot if you want to reduce sanding and blocking over and over.

Up until this point

Roof has been blocked to 320 gonna final sand with 600 grit.

For the quarters i blocked 180 , 220 , 320, with filler at various stages. Now its gonna be blocked to 600 as well.

I will final block with 600 once everything else is primered and done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opponheimer
why didn't you paint the rad. support in the beginning?
the bottom of the rad support is welded in place and painted, the top part is removable and will be powdercoated flat black.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:18 PM   #82
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

ok update

Got started on the trunk, took me a while to get it because of all the panel adhesive stuck on it from when i bonded the quarters and i used it as a bondo mixing board for a while lol.

Started sanding with 180 on the DA. Just to get the rough stuff off, not to much otherwise you will gouge the surface to much and have to do more sanding later.

Now i put on the guide coat to show any high or low spots, use a contrasting color so its easier to tell. At this point i begin hand blocking with 320 grit wet.

Heres some examples of low spots, the first pic was my dumbass pressing to hard on the DA.

It is at this point you decide whether the low spots need filler or a high build primerm, mine are all pretty shallow so i should be able to get away with a high build primer and a little more sanding.

Heres a little trick, once the panel is blocked well throw some water on it and the water will sheet off the panel. This pretty much replicates what it looks like when it is painted so if you have any defects they will show up here, Once again this panel has been sanded and has no gloss just the water i poured on it.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:25 PM   #83
Om1kron
Post Whore!

nice!!!!!............
Old 01-07-2009, 03:30 AM   #84
MisawaJason
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
MisawaJason is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
keep up the good work man
MisawaJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:08 AM   #85
CIutchCollidE
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
CIutchCollidE is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yo man, I read the whole thread. It was fun and interesting to read. Thanks for providing it. I hope everything works out well in the end for you.
CIutchCollidE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:32 AM   #86
Devil Man
Zilvia Junkie

Devil Man is an unknown quantity at this point
looking good..... cant wait to see it painted

p.s. god do i love that exhaust set up everytime i see it
Devil Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:10 PM   #87
Ailiaw
Leaky Injector

Ailiaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Ailiaw
Oh the job of sanding, sanding, sanding, sanding, filler, sanding, sanding, primer, filler, sanding, sanding ,sading primer, filler.

Reminds me of when we fixed my S14 after I put it through a garage.

(those bondo spots on the roof are where it caved in )

Good job man, body work is tedious as hell.
Ailiaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:42 PM   #88
nor-caljdm
Leaky Injector

nor-caljdm is an unknown quantity at this point
very nice job man.
one question how long did your paint take to dry out side and did u get any dirt on your paint because u did it outside?
nor-caljdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:24 PM   #89
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

outside a base coat and clearcoat at my temperature of 90+degrees when i painted was dry to the touch in about 4 hours, a little bit of debris can not be avoided, i just dont paint on windy days and is stuff does get in i just sand it out.

anyways todays progress, and yes today was windy, but primer only..

Old 01-07-2009, 04:49 PM   #90
punxva
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
punxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to punxva
looks like your doing it very legit man, i dont really have pics of helping my roommate paint his rolla, just some wip ones...

btw we both do bodywork for a living, and 2k primer and EverCoat filler is the way to go.

edit found some finished ones.... really small he took with his phone at work...

+ subscribed...
not sure if you realize this

but when you knockup that skanky drunk sea donkey, you're gonna have to listen to her shit for the rest of your life

age 33 and you dont know your ass from your elbow

punxva is offline   Reply With Quote