Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-08-2008, 11:03 AM   #61
LA_phantom_240
Nissanaholic!

Location: Louisiana. LA is for Louisiana. L.A. is Los Angeles.
Trader Rating: (2)
LA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcchai1102 View Post
anyone do anything with taillights yet??
something similar to clearcorner's kouki taillight..
I had a working prototype using those ebay altezza clears, tinted red (like I had long long ago) and they came out pretty pimp mode. They took a long time to get just right, and nobody came through with solid funds so I abandoned them. My boy was rocking them on his s13 until the ass end got smashed by a Durango.

RIP, 'Oil burning POS'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSideways View Post
Come on, this isn't Gran Turismo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOK
your balls are either ballin, or they aren't... no second hand nut sweat can change that.
3/28/09 Buy this stuff!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/24807...-stuff-fs.html
LA_phantom_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2008, 11:08 AM   #62
mcchai1102
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (0)
mcchai1102 has made poor choicesmcchai1102 has made poor choicesmcchai1102 has made poor choicesmcchai1102 has made poor choicesmcchai1102 has made poor choicesmcchai1102 has made poor choicesmcchai1102 has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
any pictures??
that'd be pretty neat..
depends, i suppose.

i know the clearcorners ones look fire...
mcchai1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:09 AM   #63
upSLIDEdown
Nissanaholic!

Location: VA.. And for those that keep PMing me asking what kit I have, it's Origin Stream.
Trader Rating: (3)
upSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_phantom_240 View Post
RIP, 'Oil burning POS'
LOL

Yeah, that's my ideal goal, is to do a ring for tails, and a center for brake, but I don't know that I'll ever get around to it. I'm also kinda scared to go prying/cutting on my set of kouki tails. LOL
Old 02-08-2008, 11:11 AM   #64
mcchai1102

mcchai1102 has made poor choicesmcchai1102 has made poor choicesmcchai1102 has made poor choicesmcchai1102 has made poor choicesmcchai1102 has made poor choicesmcchai1102 has made poor choicesmcchai1102 has made poor choices
lol
thats true.. $500 lights, hard to tear em up.

Clearcorners don't own this design or something, right?
like.. no copyright or legal issues?
mcchai1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:23 AM   #65
LA_phantom_240
Nissanaholic!

LA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcchai1102 View Post
lol
thats true.. $500 lights, hard to tear em up.

Clearcorners don't own this design or something, right?
like.. no copyright or legal issues?
I don't know how they stand, legally. I'm sure their board designs have some sort of patent on them. That doesn't stop anyone from making their own boards from scratch. I assume as long as you don't copy their boards exactly you're in the clear. I haven't seen the boards and probably never will.

Don't do it to Kouki lights until you've had enough time to take apart a few tails without breaking em... which is why I went with eBay altezzas. Of course, right now I'm trying to get a zenki centerpiece for the tail set so I can mod it with LEDs to illuminate with the brake lights. I can't get one in my price range though.

Quote:
Quote:
your balls are either ballin, or they aren't... no second hand nut sweat can change that.
3/28/09 Buy this stuff!
Old 02-08-2008, 11:27 AM   #66
upSLIDEdown
Nissanaholic!

Location: VA.. And for those that keep PMing me asking what kit I have, it's Origin Stream.
upSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_phantom_240 View Post
Don't do it to Kouki lights until you've had enough time to take apart a few tails without breaking em... which is why I went with eBay altezzas. Of course, right now I'm trying to get a zenki centerpiece for the tail set so I can mod it with LEDs to illuminate with the brake lights. I can't get one in my price range though.
Yeah, that's my worry... LOL. I might try my old stock tails and see how hard they are to get apart. What's your price range on the S14 zenki center section? I assume you mean the stock center section, right?
Old 02-08-2008, 11:28 AM   #67
palauoriginal

palauoriginal can only hope to improve
when you guys did the led taillights, what were the mcd of the LEDs?
what would be a good mcd for interior?
palauoriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:43 AM   #68
silva240coupe

silva240coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to silva240coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperTek View Post
S13 5lug front hub redrill conversion

Ghetto but worked great.. requires drill press, something to make the bolt pattern *a 5 lug rotor thats already been drilled for 4 lug works great as template* and additional metal needs to be shaved flat on the rear side to have the stud sit flat. Did this to a few cars.
I did this same thing and have (knock on wood) zero problems so far..

Took stock S13 hub, knocked out all studs except one

Placed stock S14 rotor on top

Put in drill press to drill out holes

Used an end mill (school I went to had one, all you're doing is removing material)

Once holes are drilled, knock in new studs, (you can tack weld each stud if you want)
silva240coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:20 PM   #69
LA_phantom_240
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by palauoriginal View Post
when you guys did the led taillights, what were the mcd of the LEDs?
what would be a good mcd for interior?
MCD is a rating that really shouldn't mean anything when you start getting into 'big boy' LEDs, because many cheaper LEDs aren't as bright as other higher quality LEDs with the same MCD rating. Also, higher quality LEDs (Such as LumiLED Superflux) will last much longer at their recommended working voltage and amperage. The ones I used in my third brake lamp are found here
http://www.componentsuperstore.com/s...IGHTING8080368
They're not cheap, I'm warning you guys now. Red/Orange, like I've already said, is more intense than straight red, and when used behind a red lens, they look great.

Quote:
Quote:
3/28/09 Buy this stuff!
Old 02-08-2008, 09:10 PM   #70
LB.Motoring
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
LB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to LB.Motoring
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva240coupe View Post
I did this same thing and have (knock on wood) zero problems so far..

Took stock S13 hub, knocked out all studs except one

Placed stock S14 rotor on top

Put in drill press to drill out holes

Used an end mill (school I went to had one, all you're doing is removing material)

Once holes are drilled, knock in new studs, (you can tack weld each stud if you want)
yup,

we did my s13 also. No problems thus far.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:29 PM   #71
Antihero983
Post Whore!

Antihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfectionAntihero983 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Antihero983 Send a message via MSN to Antihero983
hmm i might have to try this when the weather finally permits.....
Old 02-16-2008, 10:54 PM   #72
racerx83858

racerx83858 is just really niceracerx83858 is just really niceracerx83858 is just really niceracerx83858 is just really niceracerx83858 is just really niceracerx83858 is just really niceracerx83858 is just really niceracerx83858 is just really niceracerx83858 is just really niceracerx83858 is just really nice
I know somebody already did this, but i just wanted to show another example of what could be done for some cheap brake ducting, and it actually works!

Last edited by racerx83858; 05-09-2008 at 08:34 AM..
racerx83858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:25 PM   #73
JDM671
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (37)
JDM671 is close to perfectionJDM671 is close to perfectionJDM671 is close to perfectionJDM671 is close to perfectionJDM671 is close to perfectionJDM671 is close to perfectionJDM671 is close to perfectionJDM671 is close to perfectionJDM671 is close to perfectionJDM671 is close to perfectionJDM671 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JDM671
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperTek View Post
S13 5lug front hub redrill conversion

Ghetto but worked great.. requires drill press, something to make the bolt pattern *a 5 lug rotor thats already been drilled for 4 lug works great as template* and additional metal needs to be shaved flat on the rear side to have the stud sit flat. Did this to a few cars.
I LOVE DIY

Touke <3

Last edited by JDM671; 02-16-2008 at 11:36 PM.. Reason: noob question
JDM671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:30 PM   #74
e30cabrio
Leaky Injector

e30cabrio has a spectacular aura aboute30cabrio has a spectacular aura aboute30cabrio has a spectacular aura aboute30cabrio has a spectacular aura aboute30cabrio has a spectacular aura aboute30cabrio has a spectacular aura about
Hopefully you guys don't mind me bumping a slightly old thread, but I was talking about the same subject of drilling the hub to create a new pattern in mine.

For those who have done it in the past, why didn't you just thread in new studs into the holes? I am sure you could have used a tap to create threads. This way, it won't be too much of a permanent thing. Then also, if the stud breaks, then it would be somewhat easily replaceable.

Also assuming that you are worried about it possibly sliding off of the threads, and want something more secure, why not just put a couple of tap welds on the back of it. This way, it will be secure, but you could always grind the tap welds down, and remove the stud?

Just trying to throw ideas out there with you guys.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:59 PM   #75
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
^Wheel studs are pressed in. ^
Old 03-03-2008, 01:06 PM   #76
e30cabrio
Leaky Injector

e30cabrio has a spectacular aura aboute30cabrio has a spectacular aura aboute30cabrio has a spectacular aura aboute30cabrio has a spectacular aura aboute30cabrio has a spectacular aura aboute30cabrio has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilburn View Post
^Wheel studs are pressed in. ^
Maybe I am just used to converting over to studs in my other cars. Cause for example, a BMW uses wheel bolts and if you were to convert it over to a stud, all you would have to do is thread in the new studs into the existing threaded holes on the hub.

All that is used to secure them down is some red or blue loctite (don't remember which one at the moment they used). A lot of racers use this method on their cars, to change out wheels quicker, and have no problems with just threading in the studs. This also allows them to change it out every so often if needed, since they experience a lot more wear and tear than normal use.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:50 PM   #77
undesiredshoe
Zilvia Addict

undesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of lightundesiredshoe is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to undesiredshoe
Call me cheap but one of my sway bar link bushings took a shit on me and i want to replace it with a threaded rod, washers, and some locking nuts. Good deal
undesiredshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:12 PM   #78
motegineon

motegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond reputemotegineon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to motegineon Send a message via MSN to motegineon
lol post pics
motegineon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:16 PM   #79
racerx83858

racerx83858 is just really niceracerx83858 is just really niceracerx83858 is just really niceracerx83858 is just really niceracerx83858 is just really niceracerx83858 is just really niceracerx83858 is just really niceracerx83858 is just really niceracerx83858 is just really niceracerx83858 is just really nice
10 dollar Corolla strut brace makes a pretty good trunk support!

Please, I'd like to see some more DIY ideas!!

Old 04-24-2008, 12:35 AM   #80
markyboi
Zilvia FREAK!

markyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to behold
what year corolla? what other mods did you have to do to make it fit?
markyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:59 AM   #81
racerx83858

AE92 body style gt-s cars, I just drilled some well placed holes. Seems to help somewhat with the butt G-meter.

Last edited by racerx83858; 04-29-2008 at 09:50 PM..
Old 04-24-2008, 10:40 AM   #82
clark
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
clark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?p=1982125
clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:00 AM   #83
RazoE
Leaky Injector

RazoE will become famous soon enoughRazoE will become famous soon enoughRazoE will become famous soon enoughRazoE will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to RazoE Send a message via Yahoo to RazoE
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx83858 View Post
AE92 body style SR5 cars, I just drilled some well placed holes. Seems to help somewhat with the butt G-meter.

no, you need a GT-S AE92 Corolla Coupe...

The SR5's wont have them (I got one for my girl's SR5 Coupe)
Old 04-24-2008, 11:29 AM   #84
g-via
Zilvia FREAK!

g-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of light
this thread rocks my socks, +rep to you OP

Custom made brake lines for my Z brake swap:

Removing the spoiler from the hatch ($#@$ rust!):

The 4 to 5 lug conversion is pretty interesting...I might try that in the future if I can find access to a drill press!

Also, I am just about to start my interior lights LED conversion, where did you guys buy you LED's?? Also, where can you buy/find information about what resistors you will need?? Thanks!
g-via is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:44 AM   #85
Locko
Leaky Injector

Locko is an unknown quantity at this point
^^ can you post more about the brake lines??
Locko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:20 PM   #86
g-via
Zilvia FREAK!

g-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of lightg-via is a glorious beacon of light
we took a coat hanger and bent it into the desired shape needed to clear everything

then we took a stainless steel brake line and shaped it (gently) into the same shape as the coat hanger. Make sure you do not disfigure the cross section of the brake line.

another picture might help:
g-via is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:15 PM   #87
racerx83858

This came off a Caprice cop car. Both sides of course..

Old 07-26-2008, 04:50 PM   #88
ZipTiedCoupe
BANNED

ZipTiedCoupe is making a name for him/her selfZipTiedCoupe is making a name for him/her self
found this by accident. bump. any more DIY's?
ZipTiedCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:23 AM   #89
brokeAs240sx
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (40)
brokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
I just did this one: 240z fuel splash guard retrofit

Kinda-sorta-useful for the few who care about trying not to spill fuel onto their paint @ the gas station:

Total project time: about 3-5 minutes

Equipment required:
- Scissors
- Rubber material or a 240z fuel splash guard (or whatever it is really called)

Step 1:
- Trim the splash guard

Step 2:
- Fit the piece - if you trimmed too much like I did (or just got a rectangular piece), you can wedge it between the fuel sender grommet & the chassis.

It actually works, too! Normally I don't spill any fuel. However, yesterday, I went to fuel up & 2-3 drops escaped the fuel sender & landed onto the splash guard instead of my nice paint, YAY!
Old 07-28-2008, 12:26 AM   #90
HyperTek
Post Whore!

HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
woah some really nice updates =D