Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-02-2007, 10:27 AM   #31
sultan
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
sultan will become famous soon enoughsultan will become famous soon enoughsultan will become famous soon enoughsultan will become famous soon enoughsultan will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doluck View Post
If your in the wheel business then it is 10" you dont messure a wheel from end to end, you mesure from the seat to seat.
We always use mm... cus engineers and designers never us anything US.. hehe ... only the metric system. This way its the same world wide.

... these are some nice pics you guys are coming up with....
I will use the hell out of these for trainging..
but the point is when you are figuring out offset you do NOT use seat to seat width, you use overall width. if people tried to figure out the offset of their wheels using what people said earlier in the thread it would be wrong. when a wheel size is not marked most sellers of wheels in the US and some in japan (upgarage) do not correctly measure the wheels and you end up with a different offset and width.

and they were talking about converting to mm which is 100% pointless except for offset, not actually measuring in mm. this thread is not about engineers and their fancy metric measuring tools, it's about retarded people on zilvia trying to figure out what size their wheels are.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:04 AM   #32
Steveohoes
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Steveohoes is not welcome here anymoreSteveohoes is not welcome here anymoreSteveohoes is not welcome here anymoreSteveohoes is not welcome here anymoreSteveohoes is not welcome here anymoreSteveohoes is not welcome here anymoreSteveohoes is not welcome here anymoreSteveohoes is not welcome here anymoreSteveohoes is not welcome here anymoreSteveohoes is not welcome here anymoreSteveohoes is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Great write up!

Definitely needs to be stickied
Steveohoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:21 AM   #33
Doluck
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Doluck is on the path to ruinDoluck is on the path to ruinDoluck is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This is true, I always just add 12mm to the side im trying to get a tight fitment on. I t would be nice if the width was taken from lip to lip tho.... If someone need to get detailed you would need to messure the wheel by hand.
Doluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 04:52 PM   #34
babowc
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
babowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
If your in the wheel business then it is 10" you dont messure a wheel from end to end, you mesure from the seat to seat.
We always use mm... cus engineers and designers never us anything US.. hehe ... only the metric system. This way its the same world wide.

... these are some nice pics you guys are coming up with....
I will use the hell out of these for trainging..
That is completely irrelevant to this topic.
OP isnt in the wheel business.
You'll HAVE to measure the physical dimensions from lip to lip because ultimately, the seat width doesnt matter for shit when you're fitting the wheels on the car.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:58 PM   #35
koukimonster139
Zilvia FREAK!

koukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to koukimonster139
Doluck, you're a jackass

we're not talking about how to measure a wheel

we're talking about how to measure the offset of a wheel which is not obtained using the seat width.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:58 PM   #36
Doluck
Zilvia Member

Doluck is on the path to ruinDoluck is on the path to ruinDoluck is on the path to ruin
Wow ... you guys are tards.... If you read the whole post you woudl see the relevants.

If you have a 10" wide wheel(254mm) with +35mm offset.(254/2+35=162)(254-162=92) so you cant go thinking that you have 162mm / 92mm, cuz when we tell you specs on a wheel its width is from seat to seat. That 10" wide wheel is really 10.8" or so. You back space is really about 102mm not that 92 you would get from that wheels specs. get it... it was just an fyi. So chill out...
Old 12-02-2007, 06:09 PM   #37
babowc
Post Whore!

babowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfection
hence our response:
10" wheel is not physically 10", rather nearly 11".

you just reiterated what we said.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:17 PM   #38
Doluck
Zilvia Member

But the offset is that of a 10" wheel. which means you need to add a few mm to you math if you are doing the math for a perfect fit.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:18 PM   #39
rongfk
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
rongfk has a reputation beyond reputerongfk has a reputation beyond reputerongfk has a reputation beyond reputerongfk has a reputation beyond reputerongfk has a reputation beyond reputerongfk has a reputation beyond reputerongfk has a reputation beyond reputerongfk has a reputation beyond reputerongfk has a reputation beyond reputerongfk has a reputation beyond reputerongfk has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
how can you tell the offset from looking at the back of the wheel? what letters are typically used to determin it.

for sale: http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=193169

-1990 s13 hb w/all jdm 180sx goodies... gone to fresno
-1985 ae86 gts turbo... going threw a heart transplant
-1963 euro ragtop bug... asleep in the garage

Luv 2 Build, Luv 2 Show, Luv 2 Cruise!....
rongfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 06:19 PM   #40
koukimonster139
Zilvia FREAK!

koukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfectionkoukimonster139 is close to perfection
if the wheels are worth a flying fuck there will be a stamping or a sticker showing the size, width, manufacturer, offset, model number etc...
Old 12-02-2007, 06:22 PM   #41
Doluck
Zilvia Member

No its not right... thats what im trying to tell you. if the maker says its a 10" wheel its not, and they say the offset is +35 well its not. Cuz the wheel is really 10.8" and the offset (from lip to lip) would change. The offset # we give is off the width from seat to seat.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:36 PM   #42
babowc
Post Whore!

Quote:
No its not right... thats what im trying to tell you. if the maker says its a 10" wheel its not, and they say the offset is +35 well its not. Cuz the wheel is really 10.8" and the offset (from lip to lip) would change. The offset # we give is off the width from seat to seat.

posted that earlier.
you must've missed it.

but i see what you're saying.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:40 PM   #43
sultan
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
sultan will become famous soon enoughsultan will become famous soon enoughsultan will become famous soon enoughsultan will become famous soon enoughsultan will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by koukimonster139 View Post
if the wheels are worth a flying fuck there will be a stamping or a sticker showing the size, width, manufacturer, offset, model number etc...
my work vs-ss and work emitz have the sizes stamped on them, the ssr d5r's have a sticker.
my amistad type d, no sticker or marking. my old weds kranze cerberus, no sticker or marking. i guess they are not worth a flying fuck then.

Quote:
that is completely wrong. backspace - centerline (based on overall width of course) = offset. i've measured wheels with marked sizes (rota grid off road, work emitz) and my measurements match what is on the wheel. rota said +10, it was +10, work said +0 and -16, it was +0 and -16.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:43 PM   #44
koukimonster139
Zilvia FREAK!

^ thats wierd

my weds kranze cerberus have stickers

guess yours fell off
Old 12-02-2007, 06:52 PM   #45
Doluck
Zilvia Member

I do know Rota do give you the total width.. I found that out when I worked with them awhile ago. Thats why they are one of the brands I carry.
My works, volks,enkei and 99% of the other wheels I have sold have never added up. Rota does it to cut down on weight.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:30 PM   #46
usdm180sx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
usdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to usdm180sx Send a message via Yahoo to usdm180sx
Wow. You should read the "for all you rota haters" thread haha

usdm180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:55 PM   #47
Doluck
Zilvia Member

I did... I know 240 guys dont like them... I love them, but that cuz I can sell the hell out of them to honda guys..
Old 12-02-2007, 11:03 PM   #48
rongfk
Zilvia Addict

rongfk has a reputation beyond reputerongfk has a reputation beyond reputerongfk has a reputation beyond reputerongfk has a reputation beyond reputerongfk has a reputation beyond reputerongfk has a reputation beyond reputerongfk has a reputation beyond reputerongfk has a reputation beyond reputerongfk has a reputation beyond reputerongfk has a reputation beyond reputerongfk has a reputation beyond repute
where do i look?

Old 12-02-2007, 11:51 PM   #49
xamraci
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
xamraci will become famous soon enoughxamraci will become famous soon enoughxamraci will become famous soon enoughxamraci will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rongfk View Post
where do i look?

I would IMAGINE the k-50

My Konig Rewinds had the -9 on the inside in a similar area, my Volks had them on the back also(+42)...So do my BBSs(+0, +19)...thats the only number I could see being it...what is the style of the wheel?
xamraci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:55 PM   #50
rongfk
Zilvia Addict

they're enkei sporsh

Old 12-03-2007, 12:16 AM   #51
hellion240sx
Zilvia FREAK!

hellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enough
like the pic in post 26! def helps to understand. might show this to a few ppl.
hellion240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:15 PM   #52
rongfk
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
where do i look?

any advice? it appears to have a positive offset, but of what? is the question.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:06 PM   #53
flclsteve
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
flclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant futureflclsteve has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
So noobie question
What are the pros n cons of having plus or minus offset is it just for looks
or do certian wheels have certian offsets to fit correctly

flclsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:11 PM   #54
HaLo
from Canada, eh!

HaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfectionHaLo is close to perfection
Send a message via ICQ to HaLo Send a message via AIM to HaLo Send a message via MSN to HaLo
Making this a sticky

Keep it clean.

To insulting users, consider being warned.
SOLD: 01 GPW Honda S2000
PARTED: 93 Pearl White 240SX LE Fastback w/SR20DET
SOLD: 93 Super White 240SX SE Convertible w/Silvia Front
HaLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:56 PM   #55
firelizard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
firelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by flclsteve View Post
So noobie question
What are the pros n cons of having plus or minus offset is it just for looks
or do certian wheels have certian offsets to fit correctly
In a nutshell:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miata.net
Often a driver will select a wheel with a smaller offset than stock.

A smaller offset will create a scrub radius which may affect the handling of the car, but there are a number of reasons why you may need to choose a smaller offset.

1. To compensate for a wider wheel: A wider wheel with the exact same scrub radius as the stock wheel will be positioned closer to the suspension components. If the wheel is too much wider, it will not fit. To compensate, you would choose a smaller offset to move the wheel away from the suspension.

2. To create a wider stance: By setting the wheels outward, the stance of the car becomes wider and stability is increased. In some applications, the benefits of this stability are greater than the drawbacks of the scrub radius change and the driver may make this compromise.

3. Looks: A smaller offset moves the wheels outward, so they have a tendency to fill out the wheel well better. Cars set up for show, more than performance will often choose a lower offset wheel, however, if the offset is too small the sidewall will rub the inside of the fender.
And as for what "scrub radius" is:
Quote:
Scrub radius is the distance from the point where the steering axis meets the ground, to the center of the contact patch of the tire. Zero scrub radius is desirable. Increasing the scrub radius will result in more kickback through the steering wheel when you hit bumps and increased steering effort.
Also, lower offset = harder on wheel bearings, so that's something to account for.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:28 PM   #56
GabeS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
GabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
any advice? it appears to have a positive offset, but of what? is the question.
Is there any other stickers on it?
usually there is a sticker with the size, and next to a a positive or negative number followed by a number(*in smaller letters)
if not then you would need to get it measured,
or check the manufacturers website to see the different offsets they offer and try to guestimate which one you have!
Old 12-14-2007, 01:57 PM   #57
SSMini
Leaky Injector

SSMini is a jewel in the roughSSMini is a jewel in the roughSSMini is a jewel in the roughSSMini is a jewel in the roughSSMini is a jewel in the roughSSMini is a jewel in the roughSSMini is a jewel in the rough
Wheel fitment with coilovers....

Hope you guys dont mind me asking a question here rather then starting a new post. I picked up a set of wheels and some coilovers, there not installed yet. I still have to convert to 5 lug. My question is, would I need front spacers if running a 18x8.5 with a +30 off set when using coilovers? If it matters, Im going to be using Rays Gramlights 57F's with Tein Flex coilovers. Rear wheels will be 18x9.5 +20 off set.Thanks...
SSMini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:06 PM   #58
Yuri
Ghost of Zilvia past

Yuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfectionYuri is close to perfection
Quote:
where do i look?

16x7 +50
Most oem wheels are stamped like this.
The offset will be a random spot on either the back of the face, or the front near the bolt holes.
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:32 PM   #59
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
MrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrChow

There... Look. 16x7 +51
There all normally posted somewhere just like Yuri said.
"It's stiff and hurts my livers! I'M A HANDLING GOD!"
WTT: 2 way for 1.5 way LSD
MrChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 12:04 AM   #60
Vernal
Zilvia Junkie

Vernal is not welcome here anymoreVernal is not welcome here anymoreVernal is not welcome here anymoreVernal is not welcome here anymoreVernal is not welcome here anymoreVernal is not welcome here anymoreVernal is not welcome here anymoreVernal is not welcome here anymoreVernal is not welcome here anymore
Send a message via AIM to Vernal
dam +51. Teardrops are less than that.
Vernal is offline   Reply With Quote