Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:29 PM   #1
jerryscherry
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
jerryscherry is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
HKS Adjustable Acutator W/ MBC??

The GT2871R turbo I bought , Seller included a HKS Actuator w/ the turbo I also have a turbo smart MBC.

Since the HKS actuator adjusts boost, and the MBC also adjust boost, how do I set this up?

Thanks
jerryscherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2014, 08:30 PM   #2
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
The MBC gets installed between the hot pipe and waste gate. Read the directions of the MBC before you go screwing shit up.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
jerryscherry
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
The MBC gets installed between the hot pipe and waste gate. Read the directions of the MBC before you go screwing shit up.
thanks but that's not what im asking...

im asking what do i set the HKS actuator at since i also will be having a MBC.

the hks actuator Wastegate can also adjust boost..
Old 07-21-2014, 08:56 PM   #4
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
No shit Sherlock. You asked, and I quote "how do I set this up?". I answered your question. What you should've asked, was what you typed in your response to my post.

The HKS is adjustable by shortening or lengthening the rod. Shortening the rod increases pretension, thus keeping your gate closed longer, allowing higher boost. Do you know what it was set at? Do you have a means to test it? I suggest leaving the HKS where it's at and controlling boost with the MBC.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:11 PM   #5
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Im not very familiar with adjustable wastegate actuators but i'd say that if you are planning on running different levels of boost u should adjust the actuator to the lowest boost you are planning on running before installing your mbc. Say you want 7psi for daily driving; once everything is installed tighten the wastegate actuator rod until there's just a little tension on it and take it for a test drive and see how close you are to 7psi, keep adjusting that rod until you hit 7 at full boost. The tighter the rod the higher the boost, and dont forget to tighten the locking nut.
Then after that you can install the MBC. Adjust it until your boost goes just over your desired low psi. Let say 7 again. Well adjust your mbc until you hit 8psi, then adjust it down a very little again until you see 7psi. tighten the locking nut and you're done. Put some marks on that MBC to know where your low boost is, then for spirited driving you can turn that knob up just a bit for higher boost runs. Even if you are not raising your psi the MBC should help with wastegate creep.
That's how i would do it.
feito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:15 PM   #6
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Just use the hks wastegate to set your boost.

Sell the manual boost controller.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:34 PM   #7
jerryscherry
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
No shit Sherlock. You asked, and I quote "how do I set this up?". I answered your question. What you should've asked, was what you typed in your response to my post.

The HKS is adjustable by shortening or lengthening the rod. Shortening the rod increases pretension, thus keeping your gate closed longer, allowing higher boost. Do you know what it was set at? Do you have a means to test it? I suggest leaving the HKS where it's at and controlling boost with the MBC.
oh lol my bad just went back and read initial post.

i will have to play with the actuator and read my boost gauge to see where its at after i get everything installed. The MBC will be set for 18psi, i figured since if i have a mbc, the hks actuator won't even see a vac signal until the mbc reaches its set limit, therefore i wonder if the wg will act differently say if i set the hks actuator at like 7psi vs 14psi etc since by the time actuator gets a signal it will be well over what i set it at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feito View Post
Im not very familiar with adjustable wastegate actuators but i'd say that if you are planning on running different levels of boost u should adjust the actuator to the lowest boost you are planning on running before installing your mbc. Say you want 7psi for daily driving; once everything is installed tighten the wastegate actuator rod until there's just a little tension on it and take it for a test drive and see how close you are to 7psi, keep adjusting that rod until you hit 7 at full boost. The tighter the rod the higher the boost, and dont forget to tighten the locking nut.
Then after that you can install the MBC. Adjust it until your boost goes just over your desired low psi. Let say 7 again. Well adjust your mbc until you hit 8psi, then adjust it down a very little again until you see 7psi. tighten the locking nut and you're done. Put some marks on that MBC to know where your low boost is, then for spirited driving you can turn that knob up just a bit for higher boost runs. Even if you are not raising your psi the MBC should help with wastegate creep.
That's how i would do it.
thanks i will keep this info in mind when adjusting everything!
Old 07-22-2014, 02:17 AM   #8
Fuego
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
Just use the hks wastegate to set your boost.

Sell the manual boost controller.
/thread

You're essentially using two MBCs, which is dumb.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:44 AM   #9
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuego View Post
/thread

You're essentially using two MBCs, which is dumb.
Yes, but adjusting the wastegate arm everytime you want to increase or decrease boost is a PITA.

What turbo OP?
Old 07-22-2014, 10:59 AM   #10
Dboyizmlg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Dboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-knownDboyizmlg is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
I have one on my car.

HKS recommends to set it 12-13psi for some odd reason.. Lol

I have had mine set to 10psi for over a year, but now I have it set to 13psi and after that my EBC takes control at 18psi if I set it on high boost.

It's a cool little actuator in my opinion.
Dboyizmlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #11
jerryscherry
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Yes, but adjusting the wastegate arm everytime you want to increase or decrease boost is a PITA.

What turbo OP?
yeah it will probably get very hot, not even sure if it can even go up to 18psi before the rod gets too short

i'm going MBC to adjust boost like you suggested.

it is HKS GT-RS GT2871R 0.64AR off a r33 GTR. thought it was a direct bolt on, but realized the turbine housing won't bolt up to stock sr manifold.. then last week realized compressor housing wont bolt up to intake/intercooler. but ordered new housing's so should be able to install this weekend .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dboyizmlg View Post
I have one on my car.

HKS recommends to set it 12-13psi for some odd reason.. Lol

I have had mine set to 10psi for over a year, but now I have it set to 13psi and after that my EBC takes control at 18psi if I set it on high boost.

It's a cool little actuator in my opinion.
cool! thanks for the input! seller sold the turbo with the hks actuator so thought why not use it lol
Old 07-26-2014, 08:41 AM   #12
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:

What turbo OP?
It's a boost device, not a video game.

Set it and forget it.

Not to mention, adjusting it is extremely easy.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:07 AM   #13
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
It's a boost device, not a video game.

Set it and forget it.

Not to mention, adjusting it is extremely easy.
Gee thanks for that. I understand the concept thank you. Adjusting it is easy, however accessing it isn't. Set the HKS at a "lower" psi and use the MBC to go higher, pretty simple really.