Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
MrFairlady
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
MrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant futureMrFairlady has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrFairlady
SR20 Idles Horrible cold/at 1st start up.then Fine.Help

Recently My cars(S14 with redtop SR) Gotten worse when 1st starting up Cold from sitting overnight or 4-7+/- hrs.
Only new Item installed is a Blitz VD Blow off valve kit.(Recirc Kit ordered yesterday to help) but even before I ran No Blow off it did it.

** Its never had much of a Cold idle (like my other S13) - More on that.
----------------------------------------
::::1st start Up it idles (1300-1400rpms) ok for about 5-7 sec's and then A/F's go lean,RPMS drop and nearly stalls. It will Just Stay alive and Then idle up a bit,..couple sec's again and it tries to stall again.Pressing the gas it tries to wake up but struggles when gas is given..then revs back up to 1400+/- and Then finally stabilizes 1000rpms and Its Good from there for the most part. it and takes about 2-3 cycles of this above and then its good.
**Only When Starting it up after sitting for a bit.

My car has Never had much of a Fast/cold Idle Bump since its been running so I have no clue where to start next.

Diagnosis:
TPS is set (my 1st thought)...timing is set,No vac leaks,Tried 2 diff Z32 Maf's, but the IACV...well I'm not sure. I feel like that and maybe the Coolant temp sensor may be the culprit but No Codes for either using datascan.Not sure how to Test the IACV to know what to look for.

With the Blowoff installed I do occasionally get the bog/low idle when coming to a stop after driving for a while but not all the time.Recirc ordered.

Enthalpy Tuned ECU for my Setup:
Redtop 2871,850cc Sard injectors,tomei Pon 256,Z32 Maf,Apex'i intake,Walbro,Tomei FPR,FMIC with S14 Blitz VD Pipe kit(new) No leaks,Runs Fine Otherwise.
S13 SR to S14 chassis Wiring Specialties harness
also.

Only thing I can think and have noticed is that outside temp affects This.when it was colder out,it didn't seem to be this way,but now that its warmer A.M & P.M now Its an everyday occurrence.Thought air Knock off HKS Style Filter I had was the Issue back in JANUARY, since removing the Filter entirely It was Perfect but you couldn't drive it due to it being SO RICH,..so i bought an Apex'i Power filter Months ago.Seemed to help a little.

any help??

Is the car supposed to Idle at 15degrees because datascan shows 9 when Idling at 1000-1100. I can hit Perform idle mode and boom: 15degrees.

Though I still can't get the idle Below that or it runs somewhat rough.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
str33tpr3p
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
str33tpr3p is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
same thing happens to me on occasion and i have no clue what it is..
str33tpr3p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:05 AM   #3
rmc4au

rmc4au is an unknown quantity at this point
Ever resolve the issue? My car is doing the same.
rmc4au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:29 AM   #4
KoukiMonsta
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
KoukiMonsta is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
start with CTS, cheap and easy to swap.
KoukiMonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:17 AM   #5
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
True but iacv also could be sticky
Old 07-08-2014, 11:27 PM   #6
rmc4au

Changed CTS as well as every other sensor other than MAF and IACV. But the car does studder when revving in neutral.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
If tapping the throttle does not assist the problem then you have a fuel delivery issue.

Start with the simple things that are quick and easy. fuel pressure. Injector O-rings. swap the computer. unplug the maf and start it.

Something will stand out as being related. Right now I would just say it's pretty obvious your computer, being a rom tune, is just not tuned well enough for the cold situation.

Cold start tunes with all of those modifications tend to be trial and error over a period of a few days. You start it, take notes, make changes to the tune. Wait till the next day. Start again, take notes, make changes. Rinse and repeat until it runs right.

there are bandaids though. If the A/F is truly lean, then make a small boost leak. You can run a vacuum line from the intercooler plumbing to the inside of the car. Open it up when you start, engine gets more fuel, problem solved. Plug it with a screw once she warms up.

Gota think like the computer if you can't make changes to it.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:09 PM   #8
rmc4au

Maf is good. AFR's are normal. Fuel pressure is good. Swapped computers. New wiring harness. Been dealing with the studder since December.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:33 AM   #9
venom2034
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
venom2034 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
i had way too many problems with enthalpy tunes. the idle was way too lean, almost like your symptoms and I could never figure it out.
venom2034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:08 AM   #10
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc4au View Post
Maf is good. AFR's are normal. Fuel pressure is good. Swapped computers. New wiring harness. Been dealing with the studder since December.
You only need fuel spark air.

If adding air doesn't help (stepping on the throttle) then its...

fuel. If adding fuel doesnt help (richen up the mixture) then its....

spark. put some new spark plugs in it and start changing ignition components (after plugs, igniter, coil harness, coils, etc....)

Sounds like fuel though.