Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:43 PM   #1
CrypticDemise

Trader Rating: (0)
CrypticDemise is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Reverse light switch doesn't work once screwed into transmission?

I've been searching for any other posts related to my issue but I haven't been able to find anything.

I recently wired in my reverse lights after a 5 speed swap on my 91 S13. The wires activate the reverse lights when touched together as well as when I press the button of the reverse light switch when it is outside the transmission.

However, once I screw the sensor into the transmission and put it into reverse, the reverse lights won't come on. The sensor is definitely in the right location, forward-most sensor, and the button on the switch doesn't seem to be too short or jammed, is my transmission linkage somehow screwed up and not hitting the switch?

Also, the car is very hard to get into reverse when the car isn't on. Once running, I have to let off the clutch a little before it will engage. Not sure if that has anything to do with it but figured I'd include that info.
CrypticDemise is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2020, 11:10 PM   #2
CrypticDemise

To add on to this, I just took the sensor out and put my pinky into the spot the sensor screws into while the transmission was in reverse and there is definitely something there to press the sensor, but obviously it doesn't push it down enough to complete the connection.

Do I just need a new sensor that isn't worn out or is my linkage the issue? If I could make the button on the sensor a little longer, it would definitely turn on the reverse lights when I put it into reverse, I'm just not sure if the sensor is shorter due to being worn down or if it's the fault of something in the transmission. In case of the latter, I suppose I'd have to extend the button somehow, correct?
Old 06-06-2020, 01:08 AM   #3
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
I don't know about the switch.

It's totally normal to have to bite the clutch to engage reverse, and possibly occasionally, first. Don't mash it in with the motor off, if it won't go, obviously. (having thought on it a second, I believe the syncro stopped the input side of the tranny, instead of being able to spin up the gear - whatever it is, it's nothing to worry about)
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 03:09 PM   #4
CrypticDemise

Well, thank you for the feedback anyway. It's good to know I have nothing to worry about with the reverse gear.

I'm trying to do more research and I cannot find any reason why the transmission wouldn't be fully pressing the reverse switch. Does anyone have a solution?
Old 06-06-2020, 04:20 PM   #5
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticDemise View Post
Well, thank you for the feedback anyway. It's good to know I have nothing to worry about with the reverse gear.

I'm trying to do more research and I cannot find any reason why the transmission wouldn't be fully pressing the reverse switch. Does anyone have a solution?
Sure.

Glue something on the switch - it'll take up clearance without burning any bridges by doing anything to the tranny - it keeps you from wasting more time and money chasing a dog that's really close to hunting, and that doesn't hurt much if it won't hunt. You could do lots with measuring clearances and so fourth, but is it worth it?

I mean, in texas reverse lights are not even an inspection item, and the 240 reverse lights are some of the dimmest ever, is it really worth chasing with that much time and money?
Old 06-06-2020, 04:28 PM   #6
CrypticDemise

I had considered some JB weld product such as steelstik but was worried about it dissolving/dropping into the transmission as the tranny fluid heats up from normal driving. I was just hoping it might have been something easy like a bad switch that was worn down but if it is something more problematic, I may have to resort to that.

While they aren't an inspection item, I have had LED reverse lights in another S13 and they really did a great job helping me make sure I didn't back into something. There is a pretty narrow gate to get into/out of my driveway every day and I'd really prefer to have that extra light. Reverse lights are something I don't wanna live without, especially if it is a simple fix.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:41 PM   #7
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticDemise View Post
I had considered some JB weld product such as steelstik but was worried about it dissolving/dropping into the transmission as the tranny fluid heats up from normal driving. I was just hoping it might have been something easy like a bad switch that was worn down but if it is something more problematic, I may have to resort to that.

While they aren't an inspection item, I have had LED reverse lights in another S13 and they really did a great job helping me make sure I didn't back into something. There is a pretty narrow gate to get into/out of my driveway every day and I'd really prefer to have that extra light. Reverse lights are something I don't wanna live without, especially if it is a simple fix.
Ahh that makes sense - good reverse lights are totally worth it.

Bad advice, based on assumptions about a part I've never touched and general best-bad-practices:

I'd start out by lightly sanding the tip of the switch, degreasing it totally with brakeleen/carb cleaner, then I'd use shoe goo to build it up - if it's way too short, you could use a piece of plastic, but that gets more dangerous. Let it cure quite a while if you use a solvent based glue (like shoe goo), so the remaining solvent doesn't absorb gear oil and compromise the glue. (as long as it's not exposed to volatile solvents, it's pretty good with oils, and if it comes off it shouldn't hurt anything)

Of course, you'll have to do some measuring, to get it spaced right.
Old 06-06-2020, 06:16 PM   #8
CrypticDemise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron View Post
Ahh that makes sense - good reverse lights are totally worth it.

Bad advice, based on assumptions about a part I've never touched and general best-bad-practices:

I'd start out by lightly sanding the tip of the switch, degreasing it totally with brakeleen/carb cleaner, then I'd use shoe goo to build it up - if it's way too short, you could use a piece of plastic, but that gets more dangerous. Let it cure quite a while if you use a solvent based glue (like shoe goo), so the remaining solvent doesn't absorb gear oil and compromise the glue. (as long as it's not exposed to volatile solvents, it's pretty good with oils, and if it comes off it shouldn't hurt anything)

Of course, you'll have to do some measuring, to get it spaced right.
Perfect, I'll look into that solution. Thanks for the helpful info.