Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:39 PM   #1
Elliott

Trader Rating: (0)
Elliott is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need some advice on my notchtop sr20

Hello zilvia members. I need some experienced advice with some motor help. This is my first sr so bare with me.

I've owned this car a little over a month now (s13) When I picked it up, it had a really bad lag when steadily cruising and at about 4k rpm. I'm not sure on what my problem is. My motor is an all stock notchtop sr20 with a t28 turbo on it. Wirinf specialties harness.

I have replaced the plugs, swapped coils with another sr motor, cleaned my maf, made sure I have no boost leaks. I also replaced the Vtc because I read they are notorious for going out and I'm trying to keep this car. I also replaced the lifters at the same time.

This improved my problem slightly, especially when the car is cold it seems to run fine. When it warms up my mis Fire comes back. It's a jerky / fuel cut feeling.

I am about to swap Vtc solenoids with my friends motor. My next purchase (from what I think I need to fix my issue) is going to be my own Vtc solenoid but more importantly I'm going to do the injectors. I Think I'm going to do the 04-05 Subaru sti injectors because of easier accessibility.

I'm just looking for any helpful advice from someone who is knowledgable with SR20's, or someone who has had similar issues and hopefully figured them out.

Thanks for looking at my thread and any possible feedback
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2015, 05:06 PM   #2
Elliott

Forgot to add this in the first post.

When I do any sort of pull and then put it in to neutral to coast or whatever the situation may be, the car will die. ? I don't know why. IT did this after the vtc and lifters went in.
I know my cam angle sensor is a little back because of my miss but to my knowledge the timing chain is correct ( shop used the laser)

So I put the other solenoid in. I know mine is ticking and going out, but when I put the other one in and drove around for 5 minutes, it seemed to run better. This seems to easy / good to be true?
Old 05-14-2015, 05:58 PM   #3
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
What are the mods on the car? Let's start with a basic list. The car dying coming up to a stop could be from a non-recirc'd BOV. Check your exhaust gasket and the factory wastegate actuator for possible lag issues. The misfire needs to be sorted. Do not put larger injectors in, without fixing your problem first. Not to mention, larger injectors are a waste unless you are tuned for them. Check the health of your engine while you're at it. A compression and leak down test will tell you quite a bit.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:17 PM   #4
Elliott

I'm working on it right now. It's running a lot better with the other solenoid and I just recapped the plugs slightly smaller to about .027-.028. Miss is getting better.

I thought because it feels like a fuel cut, that injectors could be my problem?

The only mods on the motor is a t28 turbo instead of the t25 that comes from the factory, cat back exhaust, and an air filter.

I've compression tested it and all cylinders are running at 140. I saw 170 while reading online but I figured it's just a tired ol Sr.

Also there is no bov on my hot pipe to the inter cooler. I'm not too sure on any of that.

Thanks for your advice. Will be troubleshooting all night
Old 05-14-2015, 06:52 PM   #5
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Take off the iacv and clean it thoroughly. They are notorious for clogging/gunking up and causing idle/Dying on decel issues. Check grounds and try to pull codes from the ECU.