Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-29-2020, 06:53 PM   #1
zeitgeist
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (21)
zeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Need help choosing next car!!!!

I'm soon to be divorced and am looking to get back into the car game.

But there are sooooo many choices.
- I'm 32 so a little more mature and no longer interested in the real flashy stuff. Preferably something that isnt associated with someone in highschool
- My budget is about 60k.
- Reliability is a priority. Time is money
- My previous cars are s13, s14(ls1), e92 m3
- Prefer 4 doors but not set in stone

I'm unsure if I want to buy a complete package or start with something cheaper to mod.

Leaning towards an F80 M3 CS. Test drove a base model and it was sick.

As much as I love the 90s JDM heavy hitters, they are overpriced and not worth it IMO. But maybe I am missing something. Let me know what you think!
zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2020, 09:57 PM   #2
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Your budget is 60k and your are asking a forum almost famous for broke ass builds.

Weird but IMO the obvious choice is C8.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:59 PM   #3
My!
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (8)
My! will become famous soon enoughMy! will become famous soon enoughMy! will become famous soon enoughMy! will become famous soon enoughMy! will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
depends on if you want to work on ur car or not. a lot of the new stuff would be...interesting to work on, like the new c8. cant imagine theres much room to access stuff, altho it would be a nice ride. new supra? seems to be good, i loved my ride along in the gr version or whatever.
My! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:33 PM   #4
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (19)
mav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
time is money?

buy a new BRZ for $30k, put the rest of the money in the market now while it's coming down, and wait 2-3 years and take the returns and buy yourself another toy.

Distributor for Nismo, ORC, and discontinued genuine Nissan parts.

Authorized dealer for Oakley -- PM me for the best prices!

[email protected]
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:54 PM   #5
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Congrats on the divorce...

Buying a Vette would be the next stereotypical move. I say buy something jdm that tickles your fancy.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:56 PM   #6
Future240
Future Moderator

Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
time is money?

buy a new BRZ for $30k, put the rest of the money in the market now while it's coming down, and wait 2-3 years and take the returns and buy yourself another toy.
I agree except change BRZ to a Mustang GT or Camaro SS.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:53 AM   #7
zeitgeist
Zilvia Junkie

zeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of lightzeitgeist is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
Your budget is 60k and your are asking a forum almost famous for broke ass builds.

Weird but IMO the obvious choice is C8.
Lol, I know. Figured since i've been here the longest and most people have aged here maybe it wouldnt be a bad place.

Didnt test drive a C8 but the z06 seems like it would maybe be too fast. Ill go check one out though

Quote:
Originally Posted by My! View Post
depends on if you want to work on ur car or not. a lot of the new stuff would be...interesting to work on, like the new c8. cant imagine theres much room to access stuff, altho it would be a nice ride. new supra? seems to be good, i loved my ride along in the gr version or whatever.
I like to do little upgrades here and there but not interested in major upgrades like internals or adding forced induction. The inly thing that swayed me against the new supra is no M/T for the 3.0. That is something else I do want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
time is money?

I don't want to be burdened with spending hours making tons of repairs like I was with all my previous nissans
Already pretty heavy in stocks, reason why I haven't bought anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afishysilvia View Post
Congrats on the divorce...

Buying a Vette would be the next stereotypical move. I say buy something jdm that tickles your fancy.
Thanks
I was looking at an NSX, but again paying 60+ for a car that old and is likely going to need a ton of repairs doesnt seem worth it.

Quote:
I agree except change BRZ to a Mustang GT or Camaro SS.
I have always had a soft spot for the Terminator. Thanks for the suggestion. Add that one to the list.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:14 AM   #8
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Just buy a mega clean S2000 and flex.

If you were to find an untouched NSX I can't imagine it would warrant many repairs.
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:31 AM   #9
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
mark 4 supra. For a DD get a truck
Old 10-30-2020, 07:42 AM   #10
Future240
Future Moderator

I didn't see the prefer 4 doors until now.

I got it. Optioned out Q50 or base Q50 Redsport. Then get it tuned. You will be pushing 400+ whp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWNKgm10jgc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkqrNwxApYM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaMFl44FTVQ
Old 10-30-2020, 12:15 PM   #11
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
Lexus GS 350 F-sport.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:25 PM   #12
d9m13n
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
d9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really niced9m13n is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
My 911 changed the way I look at sportscars. Buy the best 997 your budget can afford and never look back
d9m13n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:56 PM   #13
urk
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (41)
urk is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
I am a little older than you and I was also in the market for something newer that would be fun to mod and drive. I decided on a 2017 Lexus GSF and couldn't be happier with it. The naturally aspirated V8 makes it a blast to drive! In addition, the interior has suede and carbon fiber accents that make it one of a kind.

I have recently seen the used market around 50k for a 2017 depending on mileage. I do expect them to go up in price since the GSF was discontinued this year.
urk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:20 PM   #14
burnsauto
Post Whore!

burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by urk View Post
I am a little older than you and I was also in the market for something newer that would be fun to mod and drive. I decided on a 2017 Lexus GSF and couldn't be happier with it. The naturally aspirated V8 makes it a blast to drive! In addition, the interior has suede and carbon fiber accents that make it one of a kind.

I have recently seen the used market around 50k for a 2017 depending on mileage. I do expect them to go up in price since the GSF was discontinued this year.
exactly why i threw that platform out there. good resale value, good adult decision, you won't hate it day to day...and neither will your friends and family. its comfortable enough for day to day use, but still has enough power and flash to be an asshole when you want. Build quality isn't bad for a japanese luxury brand (infinity has gone to complete shit!) and you get toyota quality, so ownership won't be filled with tons of trips to the dealership.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:42 PM   #15
Future240
Future Moderator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A5o6CKwYhI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNWM-Ns0fa8
Old 10-31-2020, 06:12 AM   #16
burnsauto
Post Whore!

...why do I feel like the OP isn't even reading this anymore...and we're just a bunch of nerds.
Old 10-31-2020, 07:08 PM   #17
zeitgeist
Zilvia Junkie

I absolutely am reading!

I'm soaking all this in! The GSF definitely looks to be the better option for me over an M5.

Excellent suggestions, I'm comparing them all on a nightly basis. Nobody told me picking a car would be this hhard. It was so much easier when I only had 240sx money.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:23 AM   #18
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Stay away from all the luxury brands unless you are anticipating making friends with your service ?adviser? or whatever.

I have a picture of my neighbors loaner Lexus being out on a tow truck while their is350? Or something was being serviced. I have encountered shit like that for major brands.

Honestly, get a truck for a daily with leather interior and whatever comfort features you want. Spent the rest going through whatever dream cars you want to buy, drive for some time, then sell.

If you don?t have something very specific in mind that?s coming out of your belly like some alien baby, then just go through a testing phase. You can rent peoples cars for a few days and try it that way.
There?s some app for this shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 05:34 AM   #19
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeitgeist View Post
I absolutely am reading!

I'm soaking all this in! The GSF definitely looks to be the better option for me over an M5.

Excellent suggestions, I'm comparing them all on a nightly basis. Nobody told me picking a car would be this hhard. It was so much easier when I only had 240sx money.
Don't get me wrong, I love BMW's. I've worked on just about every major brand besides some exotics, and I'm constantly impressed with BMW's engineering, choice of materials, and chassis design. They have their downside...service and maintenance is pricey, steering is a bit heavy at times, and their suspensions tend to be setup on the stiffer side (a good and bad thing...depends on your world view). If you were asking about a 2 door, and had the same budget, M2 all day long. Especially in that teal blue they come in...omg...that car is sex. But...4 doors is an adult decision.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:04 AM   #20
zeitgeist
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid View Post
Stay away from all the luxury brands unless you are anticipating making friends with your service ?adviser? or whatever.

I have a picture of my neighbors loaner Lexus being out on a tow truck while their is350? Or something was being serviced. I have encountered shit like that for major brands.

Honestly, get a truck for a daily with leather interior and whatever comfort features you want. Spent the rest going through whatever dream cars you want to buy, drive for some time, then sell.

If you don?t have something very specific in mind that?s coming out of your belly like some alien baby, then just go through a testing phase. You can rent peoples cars for a few days and try it that way.
There?s some app for this shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not a fan of trucks or SUVs. I've been test driving vehicles every weekend. Newer cars are getting more reliable and not all luxury brands are maintenance nightmares. I understand there will be maintenance, I just don't want alfa romeo level maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsauto View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love BMW's. I've worked on just about every major brand besides some exotics, and I'm constantly impressed with BMW's engineering, choice of materials, and chassis design. They have their downside...service and maintenance is pricey, steering is a bit heavy at times, and their suspensions tend to be setup on the stiffer side (a good and bad thing...depends on your world view). If you were asking about a 2 door, and had the same budget, M2 all day long. Especially in that teal blue they come in...omg...that car is sex. But...4 doors is an adult decision.
That's exactly what I was getting at. Incredible car but probably better for me when im making stupid money.
I actually saw that exact M2 two weeks ago. Wow. I've made irrational decisions in the past though. Wouldn't be surprised if I did it again.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:27 AM   #21
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
I've made irrational decisions in the past though. Wouldn't be surprised if I did it again.
irrational, like... getting married? dont worry, you'll most likely do it again

all these new car recommendations confuse me. i get behind the wheel of most modern cars and want out. i am not saying that we should all be driving old cars, but i am saying that i have big doubts that the new cars will have fall into the desirable/collectable category.

if i were you, and this is assuming you dont have anything old/fun, i would purchase 2 cars. buy the old car you've always wanted and enjoyed, and buy a relatively new car that meets your criteria for reliability.

i cant imagine my life without my project cars, just because i enjoy building just as much as i enjoy driving, if not more. short of something like a 2015 dodge viper, i dont think there are many OEM cars that excite me. to each his own, of course
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 11:13 AM   #22
Future240
Future Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post

i dont think there are many OEM cars that excite me. to each his own, of course

What about a hellcat Or Cadillac CTSV?
Old 11-01-2020, 11:32 AM   #23
gabefromcali
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
gabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to allgabefromcali is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
+1 on a CTS-V
gabefromcali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:17 PM   #24
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
3.2 Carrera and $10k to go through the mechanicals.

This is a fine G50 car: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...oupe-sale.html

This is a fine 3.2 in a better color: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-metallic.html

If you really want four doors, buy a super clean '04 STi or Evo IX MR with low miles and drive it for free for a couple years.
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:44 PM   #25
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
hold on to money, wait 4 years, buy AWD Stagea 260RS, swap R34 GTR face... kill the game

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:20 PM   #26
zeitgeist
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:

all these new car recommendations confuse me. i get behind the wheel of most modern cars and want out. i am not saying that we should all be driving old cars, but i am saying that i have big doubts that the new cars will have fall into the desirable/collectable category.

if i were you, and this is assuming you dont have anything old/fun, i would purchase 2 cars. buy the old car you've always wanted and enjoyed, and buy a relatively new car that meets your criteria for reliability.

i cant imagine my life without my project cars, just because i enjoy building just as much as i enjoy driving, if not more. short of something like a 2015 dodge viper, i dont think there are many OEM cars that excite me. to each his own, of course
Exactly like getting married. Wouldn't be surprised if I do. Believe me I know what you mean with the "soul" of a new car compared to that of an old. The feel of the road, the rawness of everything, all of it. That's my biggest gripe about the e9x and f8x series m3. But those types of cars generally just aren't that safe compared today's standards.

Quote:
What about a hellcat Or Cadillac CTSV?
Chargers look awesome but they are pretty obnoxious. Haven't test driven a CTSV yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA24DESOneThree View Post
3.2 Carrera and $10k to go through the mechanicals.

This is a fine G50 car: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...oupe-sale.html

This is a fine 3.2 in a better color: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-metallic.html

If you really want four doors, buy a super clean '04 STi or Evo IX MR with low miles and drive it for free for a couple years.
My dad has a 70' Carrera that he plans on giving me in the future, so my Porsche itch will be solved. I guess this also solves the previous comment to ixfxi. This car is straight raw. One of the more difficult cars I've driven for sure. One of the most beautiful engines I've ever heard though.

I couldn't see myself in an EVO or STI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
hold on to money, wait 4 years, buy AWD Stagea 260RS, swap R34 GTR face... kill the game
Little more work than what I do lol.

I'm starting to consider selling my sentra. Lol yes I drive one. I've had it for 10 years and I have an emotional attachment to it. Plus I haven't paid a car payment in God knows how long.

Starting to look at an LS430 and then buy a sports car on the side. Still want four doors though. I move pretty often so two cars is enough, and this is why I stress reliability. Nothing worse than trying to move while putting together or parting out a car.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:26 PM   #27
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Quote:
I'm starting to consider selling my sentra. Lol yes I drive one. I've had it for 10 years and I have an emotional attachment to it. Plus I haven't paid a car payment in God knows how long.
honestly nothing wrong with that dude

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:44 PM   #28
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i know this may sound stupid... but

now that you're single again, you may want to reconsider about dumping good coin into a (relatively) expensive car. reason i say this is because you are single, and finding someone worth-while is already a difficult task on its own. last thing you want is a car that gives off the wrong signals. actually, a sentra gives off the right signals... ie: "im not rich, gold diggers need not apply." same signal it gives off to cops... "nothing to see here officer, just a normal working man driving a sentra"

maybe just buy an older 3 series... you get straight 6 NA power, good overall reliable engine and drivetrain. find a well kept low mileage one and be done with. LS is a good car but big and boring.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:24 AM   #29
Future240
Future Moderator

Quote:
i know this may sound stupid... but

now that you're single again, you may want to reconsider about dumping good coin into a (relatively) expensive car. reason i say this is because you are single, and finding someone worth-while is already a difficult task on its own. last thing you want is a car that gives off the wrong signals. actually, a sentra gives off the right signals... ie: "im not rich, gold diggers need not apply." same signal it gives off to cops... "nothing to see here officer, just a normal working man driving a sentra"

maybe just buy an older 3 series... you get straight 6 NA power, good overall reliable engine and drivetrain. find a well kept low mileage one and be done with. LS is a good car but big and boring.
This post deserves rep.

I get all the hype, but like he said. There are plenty of cars to be had that are "fun" that are not super expensive.

Again Q50 used can get into the 20's. If you get a warranty you can have a 400whp car (with a tune and simple bolt on's) that is reliable and if anything does wrong can be taken to the dealer and fixed. You'd can spend 25k-35k vs 60K on a car that is not that much better.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:22 AM   #30
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

jedi03 is on a distinguished road
i like my STI but tesla is on my to get list too
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote