Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:05 AM   #1
Pstl_pete
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
Pstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the roughPstl_pete is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
LS3 Build Thread - S13 Hatch - LS3 V8!

After getting rid of my previous 240, an SR-powered S14, I jumped over to an EVO X (now sold) and it was a pretty awesome car in every aspect but I missed the fun of RWD bad enough to convince myself to buy an S13 and build me a proper daily driver.

This time around though, I wanted to do something different with the motor. I thought long and hard about a 2JZ swap but ultimately chose the LS3 V8 because of the reliable power and stock driveability I can get out of it. Plus, the plan was for me to CARB it but after talking to a lot of the Hot Rod guys, Carb has yet to approve the LS3 E-rod package and running aftermarket headers is a big no no so I think that idea is gone. Ill still check the stock header clearance just to be sure but Im 99% sure it aint gonna happen.

Anyways, I picked this chassis up from Drift Freaq and was pretty happy with what I got. A clean, straight shell.

Since the paint was bad, I began tearing it down to prep it for paint.

Decided now would be a good time to roll the fenders BEFORE paint. Having an Eastwood roller handy makes this job so much easier than a baseball bat which Ive used in the past.

I pieced together a complete Kouki Type X areo kit minus the front lip which I havent been able to find yet.

This is how she looked before heading to paint.

Visited the paint shop a couple of times, Donylson Auto Concepts up in Eaglerock, CA. I was happy to see that they were actually welding up the signal marker light holes rather than using bondo.

Came back several weeks later and the car was done. Man, was I happy. Not a sign of any orange peel whatsoever!

Shits glossy!

I didn't ask for them to paint my engine bay but they did it for me anyways. Its nice and clean looking now just like the paint.

My E-ROD LS3 engine package is on back order right now but I've got the hot cam version sitting at the office which Ill be using as a temporary mock up.

Dropped a Deatschwerks 300lph fuel pump into the tank which should be adequate enough to handle the LS3's stock 430hp.

I slowly started putting some of the exterior pieces back on the car like the kouki taillights. I dont want to jump the gun and throw the rest of the aero on just to have it scratched during the swap and other work being done on the car.

Threw the car up on jack stands where it will sit until everything is installed.

Removed the rear Hicas subframe. I thought about getting a stopper bar but instead ditched the whole system for a non-hicas subframe.

Got some Circuit Sports arms for the new subframe.

Then it was off to TechnoSquare with my diff...

To drop a Quaife diff into it. Since I plan to use this car mainly for the street I opted out of a more aggressive diff and figured this would be perfect for what I need.

Howard was great, he cleaned my old housing and put a lot of time and care into installing the Quaife.

Only problem was my LSD output shafts wouldn't work in the Quaife diff. Had to source some NON LSD ones, luckily a buddy had a set lying around.

Picked up front and rear Ichiba hubs despite the warnings of the poor bearing quality. I guess Ill find out first hand how long they last. Im so short on time that even though I would have liked to go to an OE S14 setup, this would be the easier route for now. I pressed in some ARP long studs as well since Ill be running spacers.

Oh and Im hoping to retain my ABS so I pressed the ring off the old hubs and onto the new ones.

Then came the Wilwood big brake kit. Im keeping OE rear brakes for now but will eventually go to a Z32 or Evo rear brake setup.

I've been running KW coilovers with a lot of success on my other cars so I decided to give them a try on the 240. My only concern is how low they can go but I really have enjoyed the ride quality of these on my Integra and Im hoping the same compliant ride will carry over into the 240.

Ill be running a set of Enkei NT03M 18x9.5 +27 wheels all around with some Bridgestone Potenza S04 235/40R18 tires. Tested fitted them to see if they will clear the coilovers without spacers and they just barely touch.

My stock carpet had a rather ugly looking coffee stain in it so I ordered a new carpet from stockinteriors.com and thought oh this will be easy.

WRONG! You have to cut every hole in the carpet and trim it to size. This took damn near a day to do and I still have some minor trimming to finish. Not sure I would go this route again.

The stock seats were junk so I replaced them with a set of Corbeau GTS II seats which are pretty damn good. Im going to have to shave the bottom cushions out quite a bit to make them sit at stock ride height but they should work out just fine.

So that's where the car sits right now. I'm feverishly waiting for my engine to arrive, Ive got all the Sikky conversion parts ready to go so once its here, I'll be dropping that shit in STAT. Im also waiting on my rear ARP studs which have prevented my from re-installing the subframe. They should be here in 2 weeks.

More to come as I keep plugging away on this car.

UPDATE: I've put together a full how-to LS swap guide on my site: http://speed.academy/nissan-240sx-v8...how-to-part-1/ Now it's easier than ever to swap a V8 into your 240!

Last edited by Pstl_pete; 03-02-2015 at 01:18 PM..
Pstl_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2011, 12:13 AM   #2
GeneralLee562
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
GeneralLee562 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bravo! Thats the only true right way to do it...from scratch. Nice build up, great quality pics and discriptions. Keep it up man. Once shes done there better be a vid on the first drift hehehe.

Good luck.
GeneralLee562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:16 AM   #3
ILoveMyRHS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
ILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ILoveMyRHS13
I just want to say THANK YOU for taking proper pictures of your build.
ILoveMyRHS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:00 AM   #4
jdizzy204
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
jdizzy204 will become famous soon enoughjdizzy204 will become famous soon enoughjdizzy204 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
build looks to be top notch. very clean so far. Keep up the good work!!

Also, that is quite a shop you have at your disposal
jdizzy204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:07 AM   #5
hessianben
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
hessianben is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
ah so.....

this is how a build is sposed to be!
hessianben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:10 AM   #6
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Nice build so far. Threads like this keep us going
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:20 AM   #7
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Awesome progress, Pete! The wheels look awesome on there- hopefully GM stops screwing around soon and your engine shows up!

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:33 AM   #8
Nick_04K
Zilvia Junkie

Nick_04K is an unknown quantity at this point
This is going to be a great build.
Ls3 e rod plus black kouki type x is the business.
And I like your wheel choice too!
Nick_04K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #9
97240TB
Zilvia Junkie

97240TB is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm pleasantly surprised in the recent uptake in nice build threads. This is bye far my favorite though, big engine little car, Type X, with great wheels.

This car has trogdor written all over it...

Keep up the great work.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:47 AM   #10
Persona
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Persona is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Great looking build, great looking garage to work in!
Old 05-16-2011, 09:48 AM   #11
taran!
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
taran! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Great Build! I'm Definitely looking forward to updates!
taran! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #12
StReeTz
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (16)
StReeTz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Wow great build so far! That looks like a dream shop.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:59 AM   #13
RussellM
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (57)
RussellM is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 57 reviews
Finally some pictures! Glued to this thread now.

888-673-4063
RussellM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:20 AM   #14
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97240TB View Post
I'm pleasantly surprised in the recent uptake in nice build threads. This is bye far my favorite though, big engine little car, Type X, with great wheels.

This car has trogdor written all over it...

Keep up the great work.
This times a milli...Thanks for sharing and taking great pictures!
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:23 AM   #15
tac 1
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
tac 1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Nice build. I thought e-rod would pass carb, I was just watching about it on spike last week end, guess not. Donylson's price is up there but quality is one of the best, pretty cool guy too (Francis). I remember my friend and I picked up his wife's ride and he'd mentioned that his wife was at the hospital giving birth. Francis gave some cash for the baby and took out the deductible on top of the little scratches he fixed for free.
tac 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:05 AM   #16
sc400rada

sc400rada is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice work Paint looks good.
sc400rada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:47 PM   #17
ZilviaKid
Zilvia FREAK!

ZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the roughZilviaKid is a jewel in the rough
when i read your user name i immediately thought of this.

nice build, keep it up!
Old 05-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #18
Flicktitty
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Flicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to beholdFlicktitty is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Flicktitty
Clean car. it's gonna be badass! keep it up.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:22 PM   #19
JaredP
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
JaredP is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
very nice man, paint looks top notch. cant wait to see it on the road!
JaredP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:37 PM   #20
Killa_D
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (39)
Killa_D can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
looks like a good start i should of painted my engine bay lol
Killa_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:38 PM   #21
Backintoans13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Backintoans13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Wow....looks like its going to be a sick build.....even if its "another" V8 build lol
Backintoans13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:49 PM   #22
STL240SXDRIFT
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
STL240SXDRIFT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Nice build man!!! Can't wait to see it on the ground!
STL240SXDRIFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:03 PM   #23
Razi
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
Razi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Awesome work!

How much did the paintjob cost you?
Razi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:13 PM   #24
Imarvin240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Imarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
cars looking good, should be a fun car when shes done
Old 05-16-2011, 09:24 PM   #25
Abravo

Abravo is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks like monster in progress.
hows suspension so far?
Abravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:49 PM   #26
s13coupedrfter
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
s13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Awsome build....wish you didnt go with the Ichiba hubs though. The first ones I got lasted a day before the bearings failed. I retorqued to FSM thinking that would cure the problem but it made no difference. Returned them for another set and the bearings lasted 2 days. My spindles were not the problem. I used a calibrated torque wrench from work each time. I ended up going OEM s14 without any problems.

Moral of the story....FUCK ICHIBA.
s13coupedrfter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:06 PM   #27
JaredP
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
JaredP is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
for what its worth, you can get any oem s13 bearing, and press the bearing part out of it, and press it into the ichibas. a buddy of mine did this and never had a problem again
JaredP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:05 AM   #28
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
I've had my Ichiba hubs on the car for about 18k miles or so without issues. It sounds like it's all by the luck of the draw, though.

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #29
kraven9
Zilvia Member

kraven9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Your build looks top notch. GL wih everything.
kraven9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:32 PM   #30
NewS13Guy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
NewS13Guy has a spectacular aura aboutNewS13Guy has a spectacular aura aboutNewS13Guy has a spectacular aura aboutNewS13Guy has a spectacular aura aboutNewS13Guy has a spectacular aura aboutNewS13Guy has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Sweet build...i was waiting for someone else to do a lsx swap in a S13...build looks good! Subscribed!
NewS13Guy is offline   Reply With Quote