Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
Mishkin_707
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Mishkin_707 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
s13 Changed alternator, odd idle?!?! KA24E

Ok, so I changed my alternator, started my car and everything was working as it should, for some random reason my top radiator hose was squirting out coolant so I shut the car off and changed the hose, put everything together and went inside, came out and started the car, everything is working great, now I noticed my idle is a tad weird, if I use any kind of electronics my idle dips and the car seems like it's going to stumble slightly, it doesn't though, it stays running but I noticed my exhaust does smell a little rich I was thinking it may be the ground or the belt tension, a little late to check now but I'm almost sure they are fine

On the other hand I found two wires dangling on the passenger side under the car sort of by the oil filter, looked around to see if I can see where they came from, I found out it went to some silver tube looking thing that looks like it's on a aluminum high pressure line maybe connected to the powersteering? It's also under the car on the passenger side, it has a connector like it has a sensor of some sort.

Anyways anyone have an idea on these issues? I'd like to hear it

FORGOT TO MENTION, it's an 89 SOHC 5spd
Mishkin_707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
MrSanchez925
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
MrSanchez925 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
is the alternator ground nice and tight?

have you taken a multimeter and tested the alt?

are you using an oem alternator? or autozone special?
MrSanchez925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
Mishkin_707
Zilvia Addict

Yup, ground is tight, I even sanded down the part for better ground contact, It was a warranty alternator I got from car quest, I'm sure it's a rebuilt cause the alternator itself says Nissan on it, it is charging at 14.2V, dunno what's going on here just checked it earlier and everything is cleaned and tightened, I'm wondering if it has to do with the 2 wires that are dangling, one is brown maybe orange and the other looks black
Old 06-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
The 2 wires you are talking about are most likely the power steering idle switch for when you go full lock and your idle dips down a bit. Having that connected will raise you're idle a bit when going full lock.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
Mishkin_707
Zilvia Addict

Thanks killer, next time I have a problem im gonna PM you cause you always got the right answers for me....lol, that's what I was thinking, i was reading about that sensor but no one had pics, I'm going to fix that in the morning