Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-28-2014, 09:12 AM   #1
JDMBart
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (-1)
JDMBart is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Removing paint on carbon fiber

Planning on buying this hood (yes I know its hideous). I would like to know what is the most effective method of removing the red paint off of the hood. Thanks!

JDMBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2014, 09:20 AM   #2
Munki
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Munki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You'll most likely damage the hood if you try to remove the paint... You can't use anything like paint stripper because that will eat up the epoxy resin. If you really must remove the paint, your gonna have to just carefully sand it down. After that you have to either clean up the resin coat or just spray some clear on it hoping it'll come out decent.

If it was my hood id just repaint it, leave it alone or just get a new one.

Edit:

Forgot to mention, if the hood wasn't properly painted and cheap paint was used sometimes you can just peel it off with a razor blade. I've actually been able to do that a few times...

Fiber Concepts
Carbon Fiber and Plastic Fabrication.
(657)-204-6237
Munki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:36 AM   #3
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
just wrap it in carbon fiber vinyl. its not like youre being cheezy and going for just the "look" like most people do. once you paint a carbon fiber piece, its pretty much done as anything thats strong enough to break down the paint will break down the clear coat and resin on the hood as well.

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:47 AM   #4
JDMBart
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (-1)
JDMBart is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
just wrap it in carbon fiber vinyl. its not like youre being cheezy and going for just the "look" like most people do. once you paint a carbon fiber piece, its pretty much done as anything thats strong enough to break down the paint will break down the clear coat and resin on the hood as well.
I would like to repaint the hood eventually, but if the resin of the hood gets broken down will the hood start falling apart?
JDMBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:50 AM   #5
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBart View Post
I would like to repaint the hood eventually, but if the resin of the hood gets broken down will the hood start falling apart?
if youre completely repainting the hood, youll be fine. painting will allow the hood to be scuff and primered so no worries man, repaint away!

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:10 AM   #6
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
You can painstakingly wetsand the paint off(~400-600 grit), then once you get through and hopefully don't go through the clear coat on the hood, you can up the grit to 3000. Then cut and polish with an orbital the whole hood.

That said, you're going to work your arse off to do that by hand.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:05 AM   #7
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
maybe you could buff the shit out of it with some rubbing compound to get the paint off slowly..
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:32 AM   #8
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
Sanding is the only logical answer on doing this then clear coating it professionally not a spray can.
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:53 AM   #9
Munki
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Munki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yeah, sanding it the only thing he can do...

He'd have to wetsand with about 800-1000 grit until the clear and base start coming off. But with the amount of time and the added risk of screwing up the hood, he'd be better off just buying another one...

Fiber Concepts
Carbon Fiber and Plastic Fabrication.
(657)-204-6237
Munki is offline   Reply With Quote