Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 07-03-2020, 07:07 PM   #1
Yad
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Yad is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Rb25det engine/ka24de tranny?

Hello guys I just bought a rb25det for cheap. I have a ka tranny laying round. I was wondering if any of you have done it before and what do I need to make it work. Thanks in advance!
Yad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2020, 12:16 PM   #2
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Do able yes.....why waste the time and $?? It cost you more to make the ka trans work with the rb25, then u could by a rb25 transmission. Not to mention how much stronger the rb25 transmission is over the ka one. This is a prime example of going the correct direction the first time, and not cheaping out.

Either way if u can afford an rb25 swap, you can afford the right transmission
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:09 PM   #3
Yad
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
Do able yes.....why waste the time and $?? It cost you more to make the ka trans work with the rb25, then u could by a rb25 transmission. Not to mention how much stronger the rb25 transmission is over the ka one. This is a prime example of going the correct direction the first time, and not cheaping out.

Either way if u can afford an rb25 swap, you can afford the right transmission
Thanks for the feedback! I was wondering if it was possible. I have a 2 ka trannies 1 in the car with the ka bolted in and one spare. Here its really hard to find rb trans since theres no rb cars with them in Puerto Rico the only option is getting one from the states or japan . I'm looking for one rb tranns in Florida since the shipping would be a lil bit forgiving to send it to PR but I dont know any shops in FL that have them in stock. I'm going the ka route since I can find them locally.

any info for the swap would be appreciate it like what flywheel clutch kit do I need to make it work
Old 07-05-2020, 06:03 AM   #4
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
You would need someone to make you a custom bellhousing, driveshaft, transmount etc. There is no off the shelf kit, because like i said before, doing this would be pointless.

You need to just find a rb25 transmission for it...... thats your best and cheapest option
Old 07-05-2020, 07:00 AM   #5
Yad
Leaky Injector

From what i found out on the Internet the ka will bolt up but 2 bolts wont line up and the shifter would be a inch further back (in s14. Not sure about s13)

I heard that people doing the rb20 BH to ka trans since since both trans have the same or similar internals.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:33 AM   #6
S14rebuild
BANNED

Rb20/sr/ka are pretty much identical internally, rb25 diffrent beast

Bout 90% the ka trans will not bolt up directly to an rb25

Again u sourcing a rb20 bellhousing to swap on a ka trans is pointless when u can just get an rb25 transmission.....
Old 07-07-2020, 05:42 PM   #7
Yad
Leaky Injector

Have anyone done this? What do i need for clutch ka or rb?
Old 07-15-2020, 08:02 PM   #8
S14rebuild
BANNED

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NISSAN-SKYL...sAAOSwdqxevWkI
Old 10-15-2020, 07:39 AM   #9
240sx-venezuela

Trader Rating: (0)
240sx-venezuela is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yad View Post
Have anyone done this? What do i need for clutch ka or rb?
Almost all Bolts of a ka tranny match perfectly with rb or vice versa, but a ka transmission behind a rb won't last with some abuse, as for the clutch you can use ka rb20 or rb25 flywheel, if you choose rb flywheel you can go with clutch disk and pressure plate from a Z33, also known as white bunny clutch, i has more surface area and hold more power.
240sx-venezuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 05:53 AM   #10
tylerdurden
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (5)
tylerdurden is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I ran the KA trans with RB25,,,,need a custom starter plate in order to use the KA starter, also had to drill out a couple of the transmission bolt holes on the bell housing to bolt up them up. You will also need to modify the transmission cross mount by welding an additional metal plate to line up with the bolt holes on the chassis...this part all depends on what engine mounts you are running.

I should have purchased a mount kit, but when I did the swap the kits were not readily available like they are now. I actually had to have someone fab some mounts for me by hacking up the crossmember and welding on mounting points. made custom urethane mounts in order to use the stock mounts on the engine.

Changing everything up now piece by piece using an RB25 trans...PM if you haven't done anything yet and still want to use the KA trans...I still have the bracket and starter....but the other members are right. Save the money and later on the time by doing it right the first time.

I did not have a choice because my swap was done in the 90's and I did not have the luxury of all the kits that are currently out.

GL
tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 02:37 PM   #11
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
They make an RB25 transmission that has all of the ka/sr internals and fits the stock 240sx chassis perfectly. The transmission comes from a Laurel I think. I used to have an RB25 with that 5-speed on it, just like an SR transmission same crossmember etc...
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote