Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-29-2019, 07:52 PM   #1
CrypticG

Trader Rating: (0)
CrypticG is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Good First set of Coilovers

So I recently bought an s14 and I'm wondering what coilovers would be good as a first set. I'm only 14 so something around the $1000-$1500 price range would be ideal. As of right now I'm looking at BC racing BR Series, Fortune Auto 500s, Silvers NEOMAX, PBMs, Feal 441, and Stance XR1. I'm just not quite sure what to get because of how many options there are.
CrypticG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2019, 10:23 PM   #2
Silv1401
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Silv1401 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
BC are always a good go to for coilovers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Silv1401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:20 PM   #3
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
1.) This isn't the write section for this topic.

2.) This has been covered so many times.

You're going to have a really bad time here if you can't figure out where to post and how to do your own research.

Mods, can you move this to Tech Talk, or outright delete it...
Old 06-30-2019, 05:37 PM   #4
CrypticG

CrypticG is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry, it's just that the threads I found on this topic are old and inconclusive. I was just trying to see if I could get more up-to-date and conclusive information.
CrypticG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:10 PM   #5
Walkerbondd
Leaky Injector

Walkerbondd is an unknown quantity at this point
No worries, people on here just tend to flame easily. I run tein flex Zs, I don't drift but I do run the occasional autocross. Very good daily driver feel and good adjust-ability, they go low enough to scrape crossmember. Goodluck!
Walkerbondd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:49 PM   #6
dizzariot
Post Whore!

dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticG View Post
Sorry, it's just that the threads I found on this topic are old and inconclusive. I was just trying to see if I could get more up-to-date and conclusive information.
That doesn't negate the fact that you still posted in the wrong spot.

The threads are ALWAYS going to be inconclusive. It's a matter of opinion. I'd go with Feal for the money but everyone has their preference.

People here DO 'flame easy' but you can also save yourself some trouble by making sure you're posting in the right place (Tech Talk in this case) and NOT putting out another 'new guy' post like this.

You're better off reading user reviews from places that sell these suspension sets.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:54 PM   #7
bigs
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
bigs is a glorious beacon of lightbigs is a glorious beacon of lightbigs is a glorious beacon of lightbigs is a glorious beacon of lightbigs is a glorious beacon of lightbigs is a glorious beacon of lightbigs is a glorious beacon of lightbigs is a glorious beacon of lightbigs is a glorious beacon of lightbigs is a glorious beacon of lightbigs is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Cryptic, don't mind dizzardiot ... that guy has no life. He gets hard by pretending to be a moderator on this forum.

Anyway...

You're 14, and your budget is more than most people that are full blown adults. Any of the coilovers you listed will be fine. You'll grow up and realize what you want out of your suspension, and by that time your original purchase will be tired and ready to be replaced/rebuilt.

Don't overthink it, because you're in a good price range.

If you read about people's coilover reviews, you'll go nuts trying to pick one. Everyone thinks their coilovers are gods gift to earth when they first install them lol.

The only way to know for yourself is to ride in other people's cars.

My advice - get swift springs if you have the option upon purchase (they really do make a noticeable difference).

For what it's worth, I had Fortune Auto generation 1's on my S14 (daily driver) for ~8 years before they started to feel like shit. They no longer rebuild the gen 1's, but they gave me a credit on some newer ones for the inconvenience. Great customer service and solid product.
bigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:21 AM   #8
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigs View Post
Cryptic, don't mind dizzardiot ... that guy has no life. He gets hard by pretending to be a moderator on this forum.

Anyway...

You're 14, and your budget is more than most people that are full blown adults. Any of the coilovers you listed will be fine. You'll grow up and realize what you want out of your suspension, and by that time your original purchase will be tired and ready to be replaced/rebuilt.

Don't overthink it, because you're in a good price range.

If you read about people's coilover reviews, you'll go nuts trying to pick one. Everyone thinks their coilovers are gods gift to earth when they first install them lol.

The only way to know for yourself is to ride in other people's cars.

My advice - get swift springs if you have the option upon purchase (they really do make a noticeable difference).

For what it's worth, I had Fortune Auto generation 1's on my S14 (daily driver) for ~8 years before they started to feel like shit. They no longer rebuild the gen 1's, but they gave me a credit on some newer ones for the inconvenience. Great customer service and solid product.
Not really. I just try to make sure the forum isn't inundated with shit that's been covered or is in the wrong section. It's a community, right?

Let me guess, "it's already shit so why bother" is incoming.

I didn't even flame this kid. If it's too spicy for you you either wanted to talk shit to me or you're feeling sensitive. Beyond the statement of rules and ideas for better forum feedback, we gave the same advice: if he's looking for reviews he's essentially going to get opinions only.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:44 AM   #9
Green Arrow
BANNED

Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow
Any of them will do fine, and dizzariot is right. This forum has structure, and structures require rules. Its simple. The thread is unnecessary, simply use the search button. You use nice grammar and seem to be smart. So im sure you read the rules and understand where dizzariot (and other people who enjoy this forum and the knowledge available in it) are coming from.

While some people “flame”, others make sexual projections of their own on others (bigs) so beware and safe travels navigating the universe of knowledge only Zilvia can provide.
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:21 AM   #10
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
BC are nice but blow quickly, PBMs on mine and all my buddies were nice and are still lasting!
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:17 AM   #11
EFITTZY
Zilvia Junkie

EFITTZY is making a name for him/her selfEFITTZY is making a name for him/her self
Here we go again, another stupid thread. I wonder how long before Dorki-dori slides through to push his coilovers lol
(Not knocking your hustle dori)
Old 07-02-2019, 01:13 PM   #12
Kem Poyner

Kem Poyner is an unknown quantity at this point
I too wanted to ask that same question. But being new to this forum, I am still overwhelmed by all the rules and flames. That being said, I am looking at the BC Racing BR series coil overs. Mine is an S13
Kem Poyner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:27 PM   #13
Almighty So
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
Almighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
They don’t flame cause it’s a dumb question, they flame cause it’s a dead horse who came back as a zombie horse and was then beaten dead again on this forum.

Just google “zilvia best coilovers” and you’ll see countless threads with the same topic covered many, many times.
Almighty So is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:43 PM   #14
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty So View Post
Just google “zilvia best coilovers” and you’ll see countless threads with the same topic *ABOUT OLD PRODUCTS, SHORT TERM REVIEWS, AND MEMBERS SHOWING THEIR BRAND ALLIANCE* covered many, many times.
There, Fixed that for you.

Truth is, standards change, so today's model C/O from the same brand doesn't promise the same performace/ satisfaction reviewed years ago. Not to mention everyone's opinion of "ride quality" will differ.

^ That, is whats pretty much perpetuated on every coilover thread on Zilvia. That's the message you're expected to learn with all your searching, once your flamed for asking.

TL;DR,
Don't bother asking these grumpy Assholes, better off searching other forums/platforms of relevant Chassis.

**edit**
Dizzariot & Bigs nailed it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
[240sx] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:49 PM   #15
Almighty So
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
Almighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Well of course it’ll be opinionated. I don’t think anyone has been able to run thorough testing with measurable statistics for every coilover on the market. Especially considering different spring rates and damper settings can change a single set completely.
I was just explaining why (in my eyes) this thread might not receive the best responses.

Like I said, it’s not a dumb question. We’ve all been there before. It helps to get some reassurance about a product before you purchase, particularly for a first time buyer.

And I also wouldn’t be so quick to discount brand loyalty. People become loyal to brands after repetitive positive experiences. Brands build positive reputations on trust and reliability.
Sure technology is advancing but it’s hard to expect they might start churning out lesser quality for seemingly no reason.
Almighty So is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:38 PM   #16
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

DRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to DRIFTER-M
The thing is with the scene, a lot of people just kind of parrot sentiment regarding coilovers over and over again without a ton of true experience with different brands.

I don't think it is ill intentioned, just that people kind of want to think what they have is best.

Much better results, IMO, will come from people who have been members for a while or in the s-chassis scene for a good bit, and have tried multiple different coilovers.

I enjoy coilovers with a legacy, so I am still in the old school Tein, Tanabe, etc. train. Dudes have been building s-chassis suspension since they were new.

I can give you a rundown of what I have owned/ have experience with and would be within your budget.

Tein - Been around forever. Hard to go wrong.

K-Sport - A little bouncy, 7/5 spring rates (not sure what they are these days standard). Build quality was fine, basically what you will find on Megan or BC. Actually, I will say my friend has had the same set of K-Sport on his Altezza for 6 or 7 years now and they still ride ok. He doesn't really drive hard / drift these days, so they don't get much abuse. But here nor there, pretty good span for cheapish coilovers.

ISR Pro Coilovers - got these as part of a tester kind of thing before they were really out. Actually impressed with the build quality out of the box. So-so damper feel, not bad - but wouldn't say they are my preferred either.

D-MAX D1 Spec - by far my favorite all around. D-MAX knows drifting setups and s-chassis. They are comfortable (both the D1 and Street Spec), their pricing is competitive, and they are proven (check out the Drift Tengoku scan from back in the day). One knock is they no longer have a rebuild service in the USA.

So, overall I would say it breaks down to what you plan to do? Want to do some daily AND some track? Get a coilover that has decent comfort and performance. Out of my list above, I would say D-MAX Super Street or one of the Tein coilovers are probably your best bet.

* I got my first s-chassis @ 14 as well in a time when there was probably 100 s-chassis for sale in a 50 mile radius. Had a slightly bent hood, but overall pretty darn clean hatch. Completely stock. I miss that car! I miss the price I paid as well. Enjoy it man!
Old 07-03-2019, 06:51 AM   #17
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
What a bunch of hypocritical plebs.

Fortune Autos are a great product. In my opinion, better than the BC's I've owned. FEAL would be a close second, BC in third.

Next time read the rules on where to post but from one fellow MASShole to another, welcome.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:17 PM   #18
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
What happened after you searched "coilovers" and it returned 480 threads? Couldn't find the answer there?

https://zilvia.net/f/search.php?searchid=17244439
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:28 PM   #19
Riq
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
Riq is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Endless Zeal Function X Plus

If you wait and save more money.... KW Clubsport
Riq is offline   Reply With Quote