Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-20-2019, 01:04 PM   #31
astonmartian

Trader Rating: (1)
astonmartian is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
So preference for 90’s slow spool nostalgia aside, what are you guys seeing as the new tech turbos? Who’s using good turbine tech? I was under the impression the gtx gen 2 were pretty top however I now understand that’s mostly a compressor side development as they still use older gt housings.

Borg Warner? That’s what the new p cars are running

astonmartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2019, 02:55 PM   #32
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
There is a reason the market has moved away from such an ill designed flange option.....just as the market has moved away from 30 year designed turbine wheels.

You mean to tell me you cannot buy a $30 v-band flange and have someone weld up a quick downpipe from a set of 90 and straight stainless pipe??
Sure, you CAN do that. It's not the easiest option. You have to drive the car to a fab shop with no o2 housing/downpipe, or tow it with a truck/trailer. Just a lot more of a pain than a bolt-on option. Funny how the oem 5-bolt flange and exhaust seems to never have issues, only when people put aftermarket exhaust on with no flex pipe...

Also there's the risk of welding the v-band flanges and they warp and don't completely seal and leak exhaust. Which you won't know until it's installed then you're back to re-fabricating it again with another set of new flanges.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:56 PM   #33
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by astonmartian View Post
So preference for 90’s slow spool nostalgia aside, what are you guys seeing as the new tech turbos? Who’s using good turbine tech?
BW EFR turbos, and Garret G-Series turbos (G25 etc)
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:25 AM   #34
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Sure, you CAN do that. It's not the easiest option. You have to drive the car to a fab shop with no o2 housing/downpipe, or tow it with a truck/trailer. Just a lot more of a pain than a bolt-on option. Funny how the oem 5-bolt flange and exhaust seems to never have issues, only when people put aftermarket exhaust on with no flex pipe...

Also there's the risk of welding the v-band flanges and they warp and don't completely seal and leak exhaust. Which you won't know until it's installed then you're back to re-fabricating it again with another set of new flanges.

1) 5 20 min sessions in 100 degree heat WILL back out the 5 bolt turbine outlet bolts. They just simply do not have the thermal capacity to expand and contract and not loose clamping force after numerous heat cycles. Simple. Every single one of my exhausts have both a flex pipe and the tranny mount. That is not the issue. The not having flex pipe is manifested in pulling bottom mount turbos off the manifold, NOT the downpipe off the turbine housing.

2) If your welder is unable to weld a vband, then you have an idiotic welder. Buy a stepped v band. Clamp both v bands halves together. Weld. Zero concerns of warping as flanges will expand/contract at in the same axis and is constrained by the other vband flange.

Meh. I just think less things to clamp together (5 bolts with nuts and all sorts of headaches vs a single v band clamp). Simplicity is lost when you are fumbling around in the engine bay for 2-3 times the amount of time it would take to attach a single v band downpipe . That and I do not have to spend $2-$300 on Inconel hardware and fancy lock nuts and tabs.
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:44 PM   #35
QuickSpoolSR
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
QuickSpoolSR will become famous soon enoughQuickSpoolSR will become famous soon enoughQuickSpoolSR will become famous soon enoughQuickSpoolSR will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I had one of those, wouldn’t even spool in 1st thinking there wasn’t enough load. Gtx2863r get that spool lol
Old 11-22-2019, 01:10 PM   #36
astonmartian

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSpoolSR View Post
I had one of those, wouldn’t even spool in 1st thinking there wasn’t enough load. Gtx2863r get that spool lol
Yeah used boost quite low now I think it hits 12 lbs or so in 1st (looking at gauge on drift vid) without hammering it. Ballbearing > Journal bearing regardless
Old 11-23-2019, 11:23 PM   #37
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
1) 5 20 min sessions in 100 degree heat WILL back out the 5 bolt turbine outlet bolts. They just simply do not have the thermal capacity to expand and contract and not loose clamping force after numerous heat cycles. Simple. Every single one of my exhausts have both a flex pipe and the tranny mount. That is not the issue. The not having flex pipe is manifested in pulling bottom mount turbos off the manifold, NOT the downpipe off the turbine housing.

2) If your welder is unable to weld a vband, then you have an idiotic welder. Buy a stepped v band. Clamp both v bands halves together. Weld. Zero concerns of warping as flanges will expand/contract at in the same axis and is constrained by the other vband flange.

Meh. I just think less things to clamp together (5 bolts with nuts and all sorts of headaches vs a single v band clamp). Simplicity is lost when you are fumbling around in the engine bay for 2-3 times the amount of time it would take to attach a single v band downpipe . That and I do not have to spend $2-$300 on Inconel hardware and fancy lock nuts and tabs.
I had stretched lots of M8 bolts on the 5 bolt turbine outlet housing. If you put a stronger bolt on it, it starts pulling the threads out of the turbine housing itself. Not much room to helicoil the threads either, which then makes the turbine housing itself just crack down the length of the threaded portion.

It's all fine on street usage, or even light track usage, but you start hammering on the car on track and the design shows that it's pretty marginal.

V-band outlets are way more robust. It's worth the effort to switch over if you drive your car hard.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:54 AM   #38
Mintyboy
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
Mintyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Has anyone tried the new MX796?0 Comparison to the old M7960?
Old 05-03-2020, 05:54 PM   #39
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
e30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
I just wish the newer turbo options that are on the market (EFRs and G25's) still had the option for the 5-bolt exhaust flange. I like bolt-on setups and the PBM cobra downpipe is really the best thing on the market.

All the newer technology turbos have no bolt-on downpipe availalbe and require custom fabrication. Phooey.
Sorry to bump and old thread. But the new ns400 from mmp seems to be what you're looking for.
Old 06-13-2020, 06:54 PM   #40
astonmartian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30gangsta View Post
Sorry to bump and old thread. But the new ns400 from mmp seems to be what you're looking for.
Very interested to see how these fair. Seems to be a mashup of the gtx chra and a few tidbits from other more modern (more than gt28) turbos.