Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-08-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
Okinawandrifter87
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
Okinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
KA Coolant leak possibly?! HELP!!!

Attachment 13950

If this is in the wrong section can you please move it.

Ok now I know this may be a really noobish question, but I need your help so please bear with me. The tube I am pointing out of was dripping out fluids this morning when I had the heater on and even when I turned it off shortly after. It seems to be coolant. Is this normal? What is this tube that im pointing at and what does it do? If its not normal, which im afraid of, any suggestions on what I should start looking at to fixing it? Also another reason I bring this up is that recently my radiator was completely empty but no leaks around the water pump. So I filled it up and got all the air bubbles out of it just as a side note. Thanks guys! Posi rep for whoevers the first to get me going in the right direction. Thanks again!

Last edited by Okinawandrifter87; 05-08-2010 at 11:46 PM..
Okinawandrifter87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2008, 10:02 AM   #2
murda-c
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
murda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to murda-c Send a message via MSN to murda-c
might just be the drain tube from the ac i forget what it looks like.

if it's coolant, it'll be the color of whatever coolant you use.

if it's clear it's just water.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
Okinawandrifter87
Post Whore!

Okinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfection
Werd, I think it may be the drain tube as well. Just kinda got my attention was all after the radiator being empty the other day. I believe it was coolant. Should the coolant be coming out of there though? Cause I wasnt running the ac this morning just the heater.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:13 AM   #4
Okinawandrifter87
Post Whore!

I just checked right now on my break and its still slowly dripping the fluid out. I checked my radiator and I think its lower than from when i filled it some. Any suggestions? Much appreciated!
Old 08-08-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
FRoSt415
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
FRoSt415 has a spectacular aura aboutFRoSt415 has a spectacular aura aboutFRoSt415 has a spectacular aura aboutFRoSt415 has a spectacular aura aboutFRoSt415 has a spectacular aura aboutFRoSt415 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to FRoSt415
well if your always running low on coolant then check the radiator for any cracks or leaks. sometimes these drain plugs like to leak. park your car one night and put some cardboard under it and check it in the morining to see where all the leaks are coming from. that tube looks like just a drain tube it could be that the heater core is failing just keep an eye on it and when your heater stops working replace your heatercore.
FRoSt415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:13 PM   #6
Okinawandrifter87
Post Whore!

SO my heater core may be going out?
Old 08-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #7
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
That tube is the A/C drain. It's normal to have some water come out of there. It's just condensation from the A/C.

But 240s are notorious for having heater core leaks, which would cause coolant to run down the firewall and frame rail at exactly the same location.

Check to see if the water is actually coming out of the drain or out of the heater core. Then go on from there.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:30 PM   #8
Okinawandrifter87
Post Whore!

Ok thanks g6civcx, I am def going to check that. Today I just took the car out for lunch real quick and after driving the car not too long the car started smoking out white smoke =0( im hoping not a blown head gasket. The car has no loss of power and doesnt sound funny so Im gonna have to do a compression check when I get home. O and also the coolant is gone from the radiator AGAIN! So when I got back to the parking lot here at work. I started her up again and nothing. No white smoke anymore. Ugh.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:34 PM   #9
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
The white smoke could be coolant dripping onto the exhaust.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:13 PM   #10
Okinawandrifter87
Post Whore!

But wouldnt it be blown head gasket due to the fact that the white smoke was coming out of the exhaust only when i gave the car gas to the pedal? Also I was just reading that I would not notice a loss of power if blown HG.