Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:09 PM   #61
Y0SH
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Y0SH is a jewel in the roughY0SH is a jewel in the roughY0SH is a jewel in the roughY0SH is a jewel in the roughY0SH is a jewel in the roughY0SH is a jewel in the roughY0SH is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I like everything about the build except the location of the fuse box below the bashbar
Y0SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2017, 08:12 AM   #62
greddy2die
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
greddy2die is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to greddy2die
Quick question, when you installed your RXT & slave did you do any measurements to see if you needed a shim behind the slave?

I only ask because I didnt & now I'm thinking I may need one... of course after I get the motor/trans back in the chassis etc. My master is adjusted as much as I can & i've bled the system a ton but the clutch isnt disengaging 100%.
greddy2die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:31 AM   #63
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
It is recommended to measure to see if a shim is needed. I noted that many Mcleod users end up with a shim. I know Tick Performance makes some really precises shims.
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:14 PM   #64
Esserz
Leaky Injector

Esserz is a jewel in the roughEsserz is a jewel in the roughEsserz is a jewel in the roughEsserz is a jewel in the roughEsserz is a jewel in the roughEsserz is a jewel in the roughEsserz is a jewel in the roughEsserz is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by greddy2die View Post
Quick question, when you installed your RXT & slave did you do any measurements to see if you needed a shim behind the slave?

I only ask because I didnt & now I'm thinking I may need one... of course after I get the motor/trans back in the chassis etc. My master is adjusted as much as I can & i've bled the system a ton but the clutch isnt disengaging 100%.
I did not shim it, I have read that some people have to and some don't. I guess I will see if it's needed. My master cylinder has a lot of adjustment, so I'm thinking I will be okay.

Finally had a warm weekend so a lot of progress was made. I had to remove the intake again in order to get the speedhut oil pressure sender and adapter installed. I also had to slightly trim the firewall lip to help clear the wire harness.

It was surprisingly warm out today despite the 6 inches of snow on the ground!

I bought a cheap Pioneer radio to install in the empty hole on the dash, and wired it up. To my surprise the retractable antenna works still.

It was time to fill up the coolant system. I used a AirLift system, which vacuum fills the entire coolant system. I pulled a 30in vacuum on it and it took about 3 full gallons to fill. Zero bubbles and no need to burb the system with this method!

It sucked up the fluid until it was full to the brim.

I installed the plugs and wires, as well as some vibrant heat sleeves on the wires for added protection. Here are some shots of the "completed" engine bay. Just waiting on an oil catch can and it's basically how it will look:

And I finally found a cover for my fuse box lol

Old 01-29-2018, 09:30 AM   #65
Esserz
Leaky Injector

Esserz is a jewel in the roughEsserz is a jewel in the roughEsserz is a jewel in the roughEsserz is a jewel in the roughEsserz is a jewel in the roughEsserz is a jewel in the roughEsserz is a jewel in the roughEsserz is a jewel in the rough
It's getting close!

I started re-installing all of the factory panels and bumper, it took some time to get the body lines correct again. I decided early on that I would delete the factory hood latch, and went with an aero catch setup. The install is a bit of a pain, but I was able to do a clean setup.

Started by drilling a 1.5 inch hole and working off of that.

I chose the mounting location behind the headlight, it looks cleaner in this location IMO

Finished result:

Time to start the engine! I primed the oil system using a drill pump, and held it at 40 psi for a few minutes and made sure oil got into the valve covers.

My little drill pump jig works will, I put a clear section in to see the oil going through to make sure you're pumping. I will have to upload a video, but the engine fired right up on the first attempt! It's almost ready for the first drive, just have to do a quick alignment in the garage.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:23 AM   #66
greenwood
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
greenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
nice!! great work!
greenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:48 PM   #67
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I am interested in your oil prime setup. Where did you find the pump that attaches to the drill? Did you feed it into the LS oil pump?
Old 01-30-2018, 09:44 AM   #68
Esserz
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
I am interested in your oil prime setup. Where did you find the pump that attaches to the drill? Did you feed it into the LS oil pump?
I bought the drill pump from harbor freight. Just look for "drill pump" on ebay and I think you'll be able a find a large selection. I fed it directly into the oil galley port above the oil filter.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:40 PM   #69
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

^The step so many forget to do and wonder why they get premature wear on the new bearings. Great job and great attention to detail bud. Cant wait to see her tearing up the road.

Last edited by 2muchboost; 01-30-2018 at 04:48 PM..
Old 01-30-2018, 03:36 PM   #70
RVAE34
Zilvia Junkie

RVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really niceRVAE34 is just really nice
Love the oil primer!
RVAE34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:21 PM   #71
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esserz View Post
I bought the drill pump from harbor freight. Just look for "drill pump" on ebay and I think you'll be able a find a large selection. I fed it directly into the oil galley port above the oil filter.
Thank you for the direction. I definitely want to use this for mine.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:38 AM   #72
Esserz
Leaky Injector

Bunch of photos! I was able to wash the car for the first time in a year. It moved out under its own power, very promising. Clutch grabbed great, but I lost brake pedal pressure. I think my master cylinder is just bad, it grabbed a little then went to floor like it blew out a seal, got a new one on the way. Bunch of pics in the decent weather! The paint still has zero miles on it, shines up great.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:10 AM   #73
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
Damn....just damn. Still think the fd is the best looking Japanese car of the 90's

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:46 AM   #74
Esserz
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchmeat View Post
Damn....just damn. Still think the fd is the best looking Japanese car of the 90's

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
It's timeless!

I'm trying to decide on some new wheels. These XXR's honestly look really good and flow well with the FD imo, but they are just too heavy. Thinking about doing a track setup with rpf1's and then a "show" setup with Work S1's or maybe some SSR SP1's. Contemplating on CCW's as well for an all around performance and appearance mix. decisions!
Old 02-20-2018, 02:20 PM   #75
Esserz
Leaky Injector

First drive was a success, thoughts so far:

I have never driven an FD until the other day when i first drove my own haha. The seating position is very nice, I am 6'1" and sit comfortably, but thankful I'm not any taller. The steering wheel angle cannot be adjusted, and it does not telescope. It just happens to be in about a perfect spot when the seat is in an upright "drivers" position. Visibility over the front of the car is fantastic, view of the road and the size of the front of the car is very clear, the hood slopes down nicely to help achieve this. It makes the front of the vette seem like a boat with it's looonnngggg hood and front bumper.

I ended up replacing the master cylinder after the first one failed. I bled every corner and they feel amazing now, very grabby. Running Hawk HP pads. The clutch is a twin disk, and has similar clutch feel to my EM1 civic. Very light pedal, will be nice for the long trips through town. Clutch master cylinder is from an 80's landcruiser - very robust.

One of my more favorite things about the car so far are the speedhut gauges, the programmable features and ease of adjustment is very nice. All gauges function and have warning lights that can be adjusted. The look of the gauges make the car feel very "complete".

The only item I ave left to work on, which I will be tackling this weekend, is the exhaust. I have been driving around with small pipe extensions off the headers, brutally loud. I drove it down the street and filled up the tank for the first time, very exciting!

Old 02-20-2018, 07:36 PM   #76
s13driftnut
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (18)
s13driftnut is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Looks very nice, good work! I will agree, I'm 6'4" and the FD wasn't a good fit, when I do my next one I will have to do a custom seat/steering setup so the wheel isn't so close to my knees! Haha.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:40 AM   #77
JrDarknes
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
JrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I love what you did to your cluster. Replacing them with those gauges made it look much better and yet it still gives it the oem look especially with the RX7 etched in there.
JrDarknes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:30 AM   #78
Esserz
Leaky Injector

Tackled the exhaust this week. Got it up on a buddy's lift and worked for about 20 hours to get this fabbed up, lots of work!

The setup is as follows:

JTR 1-3/4" headers
3" Y-Pipe into a vibrant merge into 3.5"
Borla XR1 3.5"
Then at the end there will be an Apexi muffler

Here is the progress so far

Here is Luis the welding Guru at work:

That was about all we had time to completed. Hopefully next weekend we can knock out the muffler tail section. Goal is to make it less than 103db at 50 ft, which is what most tracks require.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:56 AM   #79
eagleeyes221
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
eagleeyes221 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
you guys did a very good job on the exhaust it tucks up in there quite nicely
eagleeyes221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:27 AM   #80
Esserz
Leaky Injector

Rear section of exhaust finally completed.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:03 PM   #81
cclark
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
cclark has made poor choicescclark has made poor choicescclark has made poor choicescclark has made poor choicescclark has made poor choicescclark has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Do you have any video of this running yet?
Old 03-12-2018, 06:32 AM   #82
Esserz
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclark View Post
Do you have any video of this running yet?
I will have some vids up soon, still trying to fine tune the driving. The MAF on these are uber sensitive it seems.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:19 AM   #83
boostzilla
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
boostzilla is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esserz View Post
I will have some vids up soon, still trying to fine tune the driving. The MAF on these are uber sensitive it seems.
+1 i really wanna hear this thing
boostzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:10 AM   #84
EFITTZY
Zilvia Junkie

EFITTZY is making a name for him/her selfEFITTZY is making a name for him/her self
Where in Indiana are you located? Awesome to see a build of this caliper coming from the hoosier state. Keep up the great work man
Old 03-13-2018, 08:19 AM   #85
Esserz
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFITTZY View Post
Where in Indiana are you located? Awesome to see a build of this caliper coming from the hoosier state. Keep up the great work man
Thanks man, I'm in Evansville
Old 03-26-2018, 06:13 AM   #86
Esserz
Leaky Injector

Had a semi nice day out and detailed the engine bay. It started raining moments after finishing, I should have some good video made once the weather gets nice out. It seems this winter has been drawn out a couple months too long!

Old 03-26-2018, 08:23 AM   #87
flartius
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
flartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
This is a beautiful car, and you did an amazing job with the swap. It looks like Mazda put the LS in it from the beginning. Kudos to you.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:20 AM   #88
Esserz
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by flartius View Post
This is a beautiful car, and you did an amazing job with the swap. It looks like Mazda put the LS in it from the beginning. Kudos to you.
Thanks sir!

I finally got into my appointment at the tuner. I drove the car around for about 100 miles to get things broke in, changed oil, then headed to the dyno tune!

It put down 382hp, which is right in line with what most stock LS3's do on the dyno. More importantly it drives perfect, even with the aggressive RXT clutch. Torque is everywhere!

working on uploading the dyno vid
Old 04-19-2018, 12:55 PM   #89
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Should be a fun setup to drive in the RX. Any future plans for power upgrades? Setup looks like it came from Mazda with the V8....great job bud.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:09 AM   #90
Esserz
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchboost View Post
Should be a fun setup to drive in the RX. Any future plans for power upgrades? Setup looks like it came from Mazda with the V8....great job bud.
Thanks! I did go ahead and buy a cam for it ha, I just didn't put it in yet because I want to get used to the power it has now. It's a bit of a handful right now with just 255 tires on it. I can safely bump it up to 275 in the back which should help, but I need to get some suspension items done to help with wheel hop.

I recently scored a diff with 3.90 gears in it, which should also help over the 4.10 I have currently. I'll be installing that soon