Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:21 PM   #1
NismoTuner21
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
NismoTuner21 will become famous soon enoughNismoTuner21 will become famous soon enoughNismoTuner21 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
RB25 vs. 1JZ

Ok, so I blew my VG and I'm looking into swapping in an RB25 or 1JZ if I decide not to build the VG. I searched on here and didn't find what I was looking for, my question is; which motor is more reliable? I know that if I went RB25, I could use my 1pc driveshaft, my trans with an RB bellhousing, my clutch, stock trans mount, my injectors, and maybe the tuning software I have now. I may even be able to scoop up an R-chassis crossmember and not have to have custom engine mounts. Cons on the RB are that I've heard they have oil delivery problems, causing bearings to spin blah blah blah. Now for the 1J, I have a pretty sweet deal lined up and after taking some measurements it looks like I'm gonna have to use front sump, mod my cross member, and make custom driveshaft and mounts (which I don't really mind doing). Do any of you guys know the if Z, S, and R chassis crossmembers are interchangeable? If so I can get an S13 crossmember, bolt it on and just buy $100 mounts and get rid of half the work and the need to mod the crossmember.

But anyways, the main question was, which motor is more reliable?

TIA!

And it's going into this POS

NismoTuner21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
Touge Whore
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
Touge Whore is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
As far as reliability goes, you are going to have people that swear by either one of the engines. Both engines are strong and both will have their set backs. I personally have the RB25 and love it. There is an inherant "oil problem" that comes with the engine, but it really only becomes a concern with hard track driving and drag. It gets too much oil into the head and can't drain back fast enough and you run into issues with high RPM's and lateral G's. You will be able to transfer over a lot of the parts from your Z chassis which will help the check book. So, to answer to your question, both are reliable engines, but you can see I'm a little biased when it comes to my choice. It's up to you as to which you will choose. Hope this helped...haha...
Old 01-19-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
Couped_up'd
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (47)
Couped_up'd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
Just do the rb. Done.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:14 AM   #4
NismoTuner21
Zilvia Addict

NismoTuner21 will become famous soon enoughNismoTuner21 will become famous soon enoughNismoTuner21 will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the info Touge Whore, is there any way to fix that problem? I drift and road race the car so I would definately have an issue.
NismoTuner21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:23 AM   #5
ZFan92

Trader Rating: (0)
ZFan92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i Say 1JZ, that would be too sick
ZFan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:00 AM   #6
Slidin' Sam
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Slidin' Sam is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
1j is a good choice.
2j parts from the states will work on it, so there is that reason.
Your BMC would be opposite side of your turbo if you had a 1j.
Both motors would make for a very unique swap into a z32.

The truth is, both motors are great motors and at the same time have their drawbacks just like any other engine (there is not a perfect engine). If you do choose to ditch your VG, you will go with whatever engine you really want.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:13 AM   #7
Ali 556
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Ali 556 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
as much as i hate RB's but i'd say 4 $$$ reasons do RB swap. Or Jump to LSx swap. sikko kit is like 1500$ or so. (will cost you around 5K total but will worth it
Old 01-20-2011, 08:59 AM   #8
Touge Whore
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoTuner21 View Post
Thanks for the info Touge Whore, is there any way to fix that problem? I drift and road race the car so I would definately have an issue.
Yeah, there are a variety of ways you can fix it.

1) Block rear feed and restrict front feed (oil galleys)
2) Run a larger return line from the head to the sump
3) Larger crank collar

There are more as well, but it just depends on what your budget looks like, and how much you really want to strip down the block while you have it out.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #9
aled
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (17)
aled is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
First off,
I really don't think you can go wrong in either option. Each motor is very proven. Everyone has their pro/con story to each motor. I personally have a bias towards the 1JZ, simply because that motor is my power plant of choice after much research.

Some of the reasons why I chose a 1JZ swap:
- Cast Block.
- Forged Bottom End.
- The R154.
Also, with the motor in stock form, 500 horsepower is very attainable, yet safe.

There was a local dude who swapped a RB25 into his Z32, and ran into many problems. Most of those issues were cooling related. If you can successfully keep either of these motors cool, I really don't think you can go wrong.

Edit: If the S and Z Chassis front crossmembers are interchangeable a 1JZ swap seems to be much more facilitated. I'd be very curious to see.

Good Luck. Look forward to a build thread documenting this.
aled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:36 AM   #10
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Drop a flashed ecu VQ in it. LOL

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:32 PM   #11
Touge Whore
Zilvia Member

See what I was talking about? Everybody has their own opinion and nobody will ever agree on which engine is "better" or "faster", etc. etc. because there is no real answer to the question...haha...you will just have to decide and let us know when you start the build thread...
Old 01-20-2011, 12:37 PM   #12
Slammed Assassin
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (34)
Slammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Slammed Assassin
Drop in a VK56DE!!
Old 01-25-2011, 11:22 PM   #13
SpOOlin13
Zilvia Member

SpOOlin13 is an unknown quantity at this point
If your on a tight budgit go for the RB as the part interchangability is very covenient and it will make plenty of power all day...but if you want toyota power just go 2JZ don't waist your time..I've owened and "beat the shit out of" both 1J's and 2J's I love them both but being that you have a heavy Z32 chassis the extra torque will be to your advantage...Cost is really not much more than a 1J either Plus you can upgrade the stock turbos for around $1200 get usdm injectors($200) and an safc neo lol and see 520-550whp on pump gas...my .02
SpOOlin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #14
Darius
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
Darius is on the path to ruinDarius is on the path to ruinDarius is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
RB25/30

/thread
Darius is offline   Reply With Quote