Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
Vented CF Hoods/Heat Dissipation

Hey guys. I didn't want to start a poll so I figured I'd post here. Contemplating buying a Seibon Carbon fiber hood for my SR'd hatch. A friend of mine has a shop locally and can get me one for dirt cheap. My stock hood came with no heat insulation so my (white) hood is yellowing in the center.

So as far as 'tech' is concerned, is a vented carbon fiber hood really going to cool my engine bay as much as the market wants me to believe? I've seen people post claims of 15 degrees cooler before on Mazda forums. Again only posting here to get personal accounts.

....oh and would it look in your opinion(s)?

EDIT - This is the one: http://seiboncarbon.com/store/produc...san-240sx.html
Old 10-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
I've had one, I liked it. Better than being a gay and spacing out your hood because people think that actually helps with cooling.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
Fuego
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
While I can't give you any numbers, the amount of hot ass air coming out of my hood when the fans are on makes me think it's true.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Its not just not, when driving, the hood is aerodynamically designed to suck the hot air out of the engine bay. Basically, the air flows in thru the bumper, thru the radiator, then cavitation effect straight up to the vent.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
dawagarage
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (23)
dawagarage is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
lol @ 'a gay'

hey now, when i had over heating problems i went the inexpensive route of pbm hood spacers!
idk if they worked though... but they suited me because i would only overheat at stops, not at speed. so the hot air had an extra escape route.

overheating was caused by (the notorious) entrapped air, which i burped the fuck out of the system but it didnt escape til i finally installed that damn breather tank.

never did actually get to test if it worked at speed...
(by taping streamers near the rear of the hood to see if they would be sucked in or blown out.)

ratsun: dawa (73 datsun 620)
clublexus: properD (97 sc300)
dawagarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:45 PM   #6
dizzariot
Post Whore!

dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
HAHAHAH no I would never be 'a gay' and do that...the fakies (rims) on my car look cholo enough and I fear that hood spacers will send me over the edge of cliff-o de cholo. I'm on the fence about spacers anyway, but what hotboiblaze says is consistent with what I hear: spacers only help at a stop.

I just want to eliminate the high temperatures and the yellowing hood in one blow, so it's either vent the stocker and repaint or carbon fiber.

...then I have to worry about people telling my I want to be fucking Takumi Fujiwara since my white S13 will be 'panda' ...

fliprayzin240sx - thanks for painting the picture for me, I forgot about the aerodynamic aspect of the hood.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:09 AM   #7
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
it works ... only if your aero is sorted out.

Meaning you did not remove the undertray, nor did you add hood spacers, nor did you remove the "gasket" (is it that word ? ) going around the hood and popups to seal the engine bay. And it even gets better if you did NOT enlarge the bumper mouth, and made ducts like that : "bumper=<rad>=hood "

This would be the best, the front part of the duct creates more pressure, the seconde one create a vacuum, and air travels from high pressure to low pressure zones.

Hood spacers make air enter the engine bay by the rear, by allowing the pressurized air a path to a less pressurized place, completely blocking your cooling the faster you go. It does help when coming to a stop though ... Although if you get idle overheat, then you have another, real problem, that you should sort instead of masking it

Carbon vented hoods looks rice anyway. I dont know if it looks gay, but i do believe it is the best way to make your car look like a riced honda. This of course is only my opinion
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:27 AM   #8
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Mikester is a well-known jackass
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
Its not just not, when driving, the hood is aerodynamically designed to suck the hot air out of the engine bay. Basically, the air flows in thru the bumper, thru the radiator, then cavitation effect straight up to the vent.
That makes perfect sense, Ray- But I had the opposite experience. Remember when I switched to the vented CF hood in my 180? My temps actually went UP by a few degrees. Now, to put it in perspective, we're talking about going from avg 64C to about 67-68C (not even remotely close to overheat), so I didn't care in the least; but I definitely took note of it. Then when I sold the CF hood & put the stocker back on before I beat feet, the temps went right back down to 64-65. Again, just throwing this out there. I plan to get an identical hood for the "new" build; but more for the aesthetics than the function. I wonder if this experience was due to the fact that I still use the clutch fan/shroud so maybe the air flows differently than it would with electrics? Dunno.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:09 AM   #9
180 drifter
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (7)
180 drifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
i think with proper ducting the vented hood would work great. if you just let the air blow around in the bay then it may not work like it is supposed to. like one of the people mentioned above, the undertray also helps with ducting air.
180 drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:37 AM   #10
Butcher240sx
Zilvia Member

Butcher240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
I just sold my seibon hood. Didn't notice any difference in temps. But I did notice some drag at highway speeds with the vented hood, that went away with the stock one back on.. Putting my mechanical fan and new fan clutch with the shroud back on made a difference in temps though.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:15 PM   #11
Floridaman
Leaky Injector

Floridaman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzariot View Post
HAHAHAH no I would never be 'a gay' and do that...the fakies (rims) on my car look cholo enough and I fear that hood spacers will send me over the edge of cliff-o de cholo.

...then I have to worry about people telling my I want to be fucking Takumi Fujiwara since my white S13 will be 'panda'

LMAO........ thats all i gotta say about that! funny shit bro!
Floridaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:47 AM   #12
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaman View Post
You just revived a 3 year old thread to post rubbish. Just like you did in 8 other posts; you used the last one to say you had something to sell

Can someone ban this guy ?
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:58 AM   #13
ThanatosG
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
ThanatosG is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i was actually searching this topic the other day so i'm glad he brought it back to life =) I already ordered a d-max hood because the oem carbon fiber i was looking at was out of stock. So hopefully the vents work out. I'm doing a 1jz so i figure that added vents can't hurt.
ThanatosG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:57 AM   #14
angel mkiv
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
angel mkiv is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaman View Post
Florida...why am I not surprised?
Old 03-05-2015, 04:49 PM   #15
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post
You just revived a 3 year old thread to post rubbish. Just like you did in 8 other posts; you used the last one to say you had something to sell

Can someone ban this guy ?
He was banned once. He's a racist/bigot. He's bumping thing because somehow it proves something negative about me. I'm not sure what that is, however. I'm sure he'll fuck himself over again soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel mkiv View Post
Florida...why am I not surprised?
Check out my quote. It also came from this asshole.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:01 PM   #16
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
you can measure where air will be found to move, the increments are small but they are there. You would need several sensors/locations. One outside, where you measure the atmospheric pressure as a reference. then, install a sensor under the hood, by the bumper, anywhere you are curious where air is moving to or from, behind the radiator, in front of the intercooler, etc...

you find the area with the highest pressure, and lowest pressure, with reference to atmospheric. I suppose you would expect the highest pressure to be in front of the intercooler, and a low pressure at the hood vent, or behind the radiator, giving you an idea that air is moving to the area of low pressure of course. But if you found the reverse to be true, you would know you had to fix something.

measurements would need to be in sensitive increments, and done by computer to analyze on a log. The idea of comparing multiple gauges while driving for this sort of thing is cumbersome and unwieldly but could be done over time with the right resolution gauge. You are probably measuring less than a 50" span of H2O difference compared to atmospheric.

The same thing can be done with crankcase pressure to find out how good your PCV system is working, and how much vacuum is lost when adding length for a catch can for instance.

I was looking at picking up one such sensor but they are fairly expensive. So now I am looking to experiment with OEM sensors to see if any are sensitive enough for the job.

Florida is great, its miami that sucks if you like to drive. The traffic there is horrendous from sunrise to sunset. If you are rich and never have to leave your house its fine.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:10 AM   #17
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
He's not talking about doing an experiment, he's talking about venting his hood. A couple inches behind the back of the radiator is a great spot for such vent. It's been proven to work just fine at relieving under hood temps.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:40 PM   #18
bmbweber

bmbweber is on the path to ruinbmbweber is on the path to ruin
I definitely feel a lot of heat coming thru the vents on my hood. I would imagine it has a suction effect pulling out the air at decent speeds.
bmbweber is offline   Reply With Quote