Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Archive and FAQs

Archive and FAQs Archives and Frequently Asked Questions about the 240SX are in here.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:48 AM   #1
statik
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
statik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to statik Send a message via MSN to statik
S14 Nismo Power Brace Install

Not a very complicated install, but I took a bunch of pictures while doing it so why not.

Cost: $150 shipped from ebay (some nissan dealer)

Time Required: 1-3 hours depending on how many hands you have, took me 2 hours by myself while taking pictures.

Tools:
PB Blaster
1/2" Torque wrench
10mm socket, 14mm socket, 17mm socket, 19mm socket
17mm wrench

Before we begin I would just like to note that this is the perfect time to upgrade your tension control rods and sway bar bushings/end links.

TCR = Tension Control Rod

The steps basically break down as follows:

Remove the TCR
Unbolt the sway bar bushing bracket
Unbolt the TCR bracket
Repeat for the other side

Install the new power brace with a friend or a jack stand to hold it up(jack stands are technically your friend)

The power brace ready to go in

If you don't have PB blaster you don't know what you're missing.

Get a lot of PB blaster into the bolts that hold on the TCR bracket, you can see how rusty mine were, they came out without an impact gun just fine after soaking.

Unbolt the power steering line bracket (10mm)

Unbolt the TCR from the LCA (19mm)

Unbolt the TCR from the bracket (17mm for nut and bolt, use a wrench for the side closest to sway bar)

TCR removed (yes my lower pan is leaking =[, not it's not through the casting)

Unbolt the sway bar bracket (14mm)

Now the TCR bracket can be removed, theres 3 bolts towards the front, 2 hold it to the chassis 1 bolts to the rad support bracket just above this)
(17mm chassis(x2), 14mm rad support)

And one more near the sway bar bracket (17mm)

When you remove the first bracket, the sway bar will remain in place since the other side is bolted in so it won't fall since its basically wedged in there, so just slide the bracket out.

Repeat the same steps for the other side, however when removing the bracket don't take the bolts out all the way since it will just fall, it doesn't way much but I wouldn't want to get smacked in the face with one. Also note the sway bar will swing down when you remove the bracket so be sure to hold on to it when removing the bracket.

Out with the old, I know you are wondering about the nismo sticker, were getting to that.

I soaked all the TCR bracket bolts in PB just for good measure

If you are by yourself you can just use a jack stand to hold the other side of the power brace up while getting the first side in. Be sure NOT to tighten down the bolts all the way until the bracket is aligned for both sides, just snug them enough so the bracket wont fall but can slide around to adjust.

Once you have all 6 bolts in place (3 per side) you can torque them down to 80-94ft/lb (17mm), the 2 14mm rad support bracket bolts just tighten down by feel after the bracket is tightened down.

Install the sway bar bracket, once both brackets are snugged in place torque them to 30-36ft/lb (14mm)

Now put the TCR in place, put the rod end in first and just thread the nuts on, then put the bushing side in and fit the bolt through and thread the nut on. Once the bushing is in place and tightened down a bit you can torque down the rod end to 69-83ft/lb (19mm)

Now Torque down the TCR in the bracket to 80-94ft/lb (17mm/wrench)

Installing the other TCR is the same obviously. Next we put back on the bracket for the power steering line (10mm)

Admire your hard work

The last step is probably the most important, apply with ~2ft/lb (finger)

Unfortunately you sacrifice engine bay stand-ability (the ability to stand inside your engine bay with the motor in for occasions like, removing the head by yourself)

Driving Impressions:

WOW, honestly the car really feels a lot better. The front end just feels much more solid, it tracks better, got rid of highway vibration, feels more solid going over bumps, steering feels more solid, cornering feels tighter, with my setup the car feels more neutral (tightening up the front end will tend to induce under steer). I would absolutely recommend this or at least bracing your stock TCR brackets like some do.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:47 AM   #2
street240
Zilvia Junkie

street240 is just really nicestreet240 is just really nicestreet240 is just really nicestreet240 is just really nicestreet240 is just really nicestreet240 is just really nicestreet240 is just really nicestreet240 is just really nicestreet240 is just really nice
I was going to wait on getting one but I think know ill pick one up. Great job on the post...
Old 05-06-2007, 01:33 AM   #3
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
Very nice write up. Now you say it induced understeer? I felt that when I did mine that it had more turn in. When I built my friends he said it felt as if it was going to have more understeer, but did not. His also turned in better. This is on an S13 though.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Old 05-06-2007, 08:25 AM   #4
statik
Zilvia FREAK!

statik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to statik Send a message via MSN to statik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnie Fraz View Post
Very nice write up. Now you say it induced understeer? I felt that when I did mine that it had more turn in. When I built my friends he said it felt as if it was going to have more understeer, but did not. His also turned in better. This is on an S13 though.
Well the general idea of tightening up the front end is that, depending on your setup, you may get under steer. This absolutely turns better, like I said the car feels almost neutral I feel like I can just keep pushing it through the corner. Again its all relative to your setup, I would not expect anyone to bolt this on and suddenly find themselves going slower through a corner.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:43 PM   #5
Bryants95240sx
Zilvia Addict

Bryants95240sx is a jewel in the roughBryants95240sx is a jewel in the roughBryants95240sx is a jewel in the roughBryants95240sx is a jewel in the roughBryants95240sx is a jewel in the roughBryants95240sx is a jewel in the roughBryants95240sx is a jewel in the rough
I have one also it rocks, you can tell as soon as you drive the car it feels more stable through turns and it just feels like you can just keep pushing the car further, ill agree with statik that it make the car feel more neutral.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:58 PM   #6
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
MrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrChow
Great write up!
"It's stiff and hurts my livers! I'M A HANDLING GOD!"
WTT: 2 way for 1.5 way LSD
Old 06-02-2007, 08:32 AM   #7
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Thanks for the pix.

I would add that you should apply antiseize compound to the threads of the bolts after cleaning and before reinstalling.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:52 AM   #8
punxva
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
punxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to punxva
could someone measure the bolts that hold the swaybar d link for me? one of mine broke during the install, and i need to find a replacement bolt for it. I cant take any of the others off since this is my only car atm, it would be greatly appreciated.
not sure if you realize this

but when you knockup that skanky drunk sea donkey, you're gonna have to listen to her shit for the rest of your life

age 33 and you dont know your ass from your elbow