Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-15-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
Obie55

Trader Rating: (0)
Obie55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s13 Which should I get first? Coilovers vs. 2-Way LSD

So I have recently obtained some funds due to graduation gifts and I'm looking at either purchasing Megan Racing Street series coilovers or a KAAZ 2-way LSD. My car is a 1992 s13 hatchback, and right now I have the stock open-diff and Tokico struts and shocks which leave a lot to be desired in terms of stance and performance. My goal is to eventually drift this car as well as run it at the track every once in a while. Any feedback on which purchase to make first would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

-Obie
Obie55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
AngryPanda
Leaky Injector

AngryPanda is an unknown quantity at this point
Stay away from Megan coilovers.

Save up a bit more and buy better coils.

If I had to decide between a Kaaz 2-way or Megan coilovers, it would be the diff.

Don't cheap out on something as important as your suspension.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
conwest
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
conwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
megans are fine don't listen to all the haters on zilvia. Just stay away from brands like godspeed. Anything cheaper than megans is absolute shit. I had some godspeeds on my s14 and compared to the megan tracks i have now.....the megans blow them away. I'd say go with the diff first so you can get some drifting in.....you already have a little bit better than stock suspension so you should be fine for a while. Once you drive better, get coilovers
conwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:24 PM   #4
iROYAL
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
iROYAL is close to perfectioniROYAL is close to perfectioniROYAL is close to perfectioniROYAL is close to perfectioniROYAL is close to perfectioniROYAL is close to perfectioniROYAL is close to perfectioniROYAL is close to perfectioniROYAL is close to perfectioniROYAL is close to perfectioniROYAL is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I would get Luke's LOCD welded diff and use the rest for (insert brand name here) coilovers.

That's just me tho..
iROYAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:29 PM   #5
s13tilldeath*
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
s13tilldeath* is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I would by coils and a welded diff. then you have enough for both.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Real lsd
Then coilovers
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
SC_S13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (15)
SC_S13 is a name known to allSC_S13 is a name known to allSC_S13 is a name known to allSC_S13 is a name known to allSC_S13 is a name known to allSC_S13 is a name known to allSC_S13 is a name known to allSC_S13 is a name known to allSC_S13 is a name known to allSC_S13 is a name known to allSC_S13 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Even though I do rock one of Luke's LOCD diffs, welded diffs are a bitch for DD's. the money you spend on tires will out-weigh the immediate convienience of having both. I say go for the diff, the coils can wait.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:43 PM   #8
kalypso123
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡

Trader Rating: (2)
kalypso123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
this is a good question...

diff is a good move, thats doing things in the right order.
kalypso123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:45 PM   #9
karl wasabi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
karl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfectionkarl wasabi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to karl wasabi
LSD first, then suspension. You already have somewhat of a performance suspension. Get the diff. DO NOT GET A WELDED DIFF!
karl wasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:52 PM   #10
240ss
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
240ss is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
i say go for the coilovers first.
i used to have megans and they were just fine.
240ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:53 PM   #11
Shaminii
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
Shaminii is just really niceShaminii is just really niceShaminii is just really niceShaminii is just really niceShaminii is just really niceShaminii is just really niceShaminii is just really niceShaminii is just really niceShaminii is just really niceShaminii is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Shaminii
Get a diff before coilovers. Why? You'll find out why when you get stuck on a ramp because one wheel is in the air and the wheel on the ground isn't spinning.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:57 PM   #12
Fonix36
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (34)
Fonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Fonix36 Send a message via Yahoo to Fonix36
Welded diff and coils at the same time. ftmfw im rocking a welded, its bliss at a budget

DRiFT 4 A Cure!
Fonix36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:08 PM   #13
jimmytango00
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Trader Rating: (14)
jimmytango00 is close to perfectionjimmytango00 is close to perfectionjimmytango00 is close to perfectionjimmytango00 is close to perfectionjimmytango00 is close to perfectionjimmytango00 is close to perfectionjimmytango00 is close to perfectionjimmytango00 is close to perfectionjimmytango00 is close to perfectionjimmytango00 is close to perfectionjimmytango00 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmytango00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaminii View Post
Get a diff before coilovers. Why? You'll find out why when you get stuck on a ramp because one wheel is in the air and the wheel on the ground isn't spinning.

That was me at pepboys last night , LSD First man, it sucks getting stuck.
jimmytango00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:20 PM   #14
Slammed Assassin
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (34)
Slammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud ofSlammed Assassin has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Slammed Assassin
go for the diff!!
Slammed Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:23 PM   #15
ILoveMyRHS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
ILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ILoveMyRHS13
Am I the only one who thinks he should get real coils first? A 2 way before coils would seem a bit odd to me...
ILoveMyRHS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:02 PM   #16
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
lets make a thread so that people can think for you, as opposed to actually thinking and doing whatever you want to do! YEAH!

funniest thing about this thread is that the only people that say megan doesnt suck are the ones who are 18. great advice coming from kiddies who just started driving. same kids who also believe in welded diffs being awesome.

my advice? research, think and decide for yourself. are coilovers even necessary or are you just trying to follow the trend of modifications that people do?
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:51 PM   #17
Okinawandrifter87
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
Okinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfectionOkinawandrifter87 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13tilldeath* View Post
I would by coils and a welded diff. then you have enough for both.
Get the coils and get a welded first then get a lsd once your skilled with it. Try getting some PBM coils for round the same price almost. Just my .02
Old 06-15-2009, 07:02 PM   #18
kalypso123
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡

kalypso123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
lets make a thread so that people can think for you, as opposed to actually thinking and doing whatever you want to do! YEAH!
this happens a lot on zilvia sadly... we should have a section only for build threads.
kalypso123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:05 PM   #19
Propaganda
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
Propaganda will become famous soon enoughPropaganda will become famous soon enoughPropaganda will become famous soon enoughPropaganda will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by conwest View Post
megans are fine don't listen to all the haters on zilvia. Just stay away from brands like godspeed. Anything cheaper than megans is absolute shit.
A little more money and you have Stances shipped to your house from Intense
Propaganda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:10 PM   #20
Shadowhunter
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
Shadowhunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Personally LSD before coilovers. If you have already upgraded shocks. LSd is probably one of the single best handling upgrades you can make to your car.
Shadowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:16 PM   #21
Leo-kun
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Leo-kun is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you want to drift, LSD first. But it is your car, so do what you want.
Leo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:43 PM   #22
hacknik
Leaky Injector

hacknik is an unknown quantity at this point
Go buy some STANCE coils. Save monies, and replaces your tie rods before they snap (if they're stock). And if your getting an LSD, might aswell replace your subframe bushings while your at it. Then you'll have fun =D
Old 06-15-2009, 07:46 PM   #23
jamg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jamg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
what are you, pro formula D drifter?

get some coils, and a welded diff
jamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:04 PM   #24
AutoTune
BANNED

AutoTune is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
l are the ones who are 18. great advice coming from kiddies who just started driving. same kids who also believe in welded diffs being awesome.

?
or live in bfe
AutoTune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:40 PM   #25
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
FedEx ships all over the USA
thats no excuse.
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:48 PM   #26
thesimpleS13
Leaky Injector

thesimpleS13 is making a name for him/her selfthesimpleS13 is making a name for him/her selfthesimpleS13 is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to thesimpleS13
when I had my 240, i got the LSD first, im totally against welded diffs ( just a personal preferance) and there's aboslutely nothing wrong with Megan Coilovers, if they were shitty you wouldn't see their name everywhere, and they probably wouldn't be sponsoring events...Like that special Invite only megan drift event.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:47 AM   #27
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesimpleS13 View Post
when I had my 240, i got the LSD first, im totally against welded diffs ( just a personal preferance) and there's aboslutely nothing wrong with Megan Coilovers, if 90% of 240 owners weren't cheap/broke 18 year olds you wouldn't see their name everywhere, and they probably wouldn't be sponsoring events...Like that special Invite only megan drift event.
there, fixed it for you.
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:55 AM   #28
s13dan
Zilvia FREAK!

s13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enough
look at your budget, look at what you want and what the car will be used for and shop accordingly. Do a little research because in the market for 240's there is a lot to choose from and GENERALLY you get what you pay for.There is a lot of real junk out there.

Stance is a great brand for the price, and welded diffs are best for weekend drift cars.
Some guys use them everyday but there are pros and cons to that choice the only REAL pro is the price.... As for megan i have seen some cars with them that appear to preform just fine, but the qaulity just isnt as high as other brands.
89 240sx hatch #933-the hot rod
91 240sx coupe #131,603-the daily
s13dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:17 AM   #29
xplicit240
Zilvia Addict

xplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to xplicit240
Quote:

funniest thing about this thread is that the only people that say megan doesnt suck are the ones who are 18. great advice coming from kiddies who just started driving. same kids who also believe in welded diffs being awesome.

my advice? research, think and decide for yourself. are coilovers even necessary or are you just trying to follow the trend of modifications that people do?
Amen. i spend the money to make sure i have quality items. dont cheap out on your car. do some research and find out if you will need coil overs for what ever it is your gonna do with the car. if you just mean to drive it around and make it look good then just get some lowering springs or in this case megan coil overs. if your gonna do some real driving then invest in some quality coils.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:24 AM   #30
90hatchie
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (15)
90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection90hatchie is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 90hatchie
buy my kaaz 2 way :-)
90hatchie is offline   Reply With Quote