Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:35 PM   #1
averyglass
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
averyglass is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Street Side Silvia

Here goes, my first build thread. I have a 92 Nissan Silvia, I'll try to keep it short and sweet.

To kick it off here is the history on how I got into this car:

I started with this Hootpy that I bought from a local guy. It was disgusting, But I was so excited to get into a car I have watched so many youtube videos and loved so much, that I did not notice a lot of the negatives on the car.
4in' dual fence pipe exhaust on a dual cam, no heat, bald tires, trunk didnt open, car was in a front end collision despite the clean title, etc.

I learned a lot from this car. Despite the mistake I made, I would not take it back.

I somehow managed trading that hootpy for a SR20 S14. This car came with a brand new HKS exhuast, new square wheels with new toyos. It had minor issue with the ebrake cable being siezed and needed a new caliper. Also had a cooling issue where it would start to over heat at a light. But be way to cold while running.

After having some fun with it, I decided I want to start from scratch and do my own build. Not deal with someone else's troubles. I then traded that car for a 89 Single cam with 56k miles, service records, etc.

This is the next day I got it.

Shortly after I got some wheels.

Then life happened.

I only had this car a little less than a year. Im still sad about this car.

Fast forward 6 months and I almost finished build a S14. I bought a 95 shell, Concord Grey, literally everything for for it was in a box and I got a large coffee can full of bolts (Fun).
Only two pictures I have.

Long story short. I spent a whole summer wrenching on the side of the road in the Utah heat. I could get the car running off of starter fluid through the intake, went through 2 or 3 ecus, ended up trading the car. The next owner told me the brand new wiring specialties harness was pinned wrong. So that was a big bummer.

Traded that car for a 91 Toyota Soarer, My first RHD.

This car was so much fun. The most comfortable car I have owned. Did several long distance trips without any trouble.

After a lot of thinking, I decided that the boat had to go. I missed all my S-Chassis and was getting the craving again. I couldnt find any s-chassis that I thought were worth the same value as my soarer that wanted to trade. Eventually word got around about a Silvia sitting in a lot local to me. I did some digging and found the owner and reached out to him. We checked out each others cars and after some talk back and forth he traded me his silvia + a ton of parts that I could sell.

Sorry for the long write up, but that is how I got into the Silvia.

A few days after I got it I was already back in the canyons.

SR20DE Super clean inside and out.

Through all my canyon runs I went through the brakes pretty quick, for some reason I could not find the pads for the calipers on the car. I tried everything from different year s13 pads to maxima and sentra pads. I figured why hassle myself and decided it was time to upgrade them anyway.

CTSV Brakes with Z33 Track Rotors, kinda overkill but these should do great in the canyons.

With that, I had to swap to 5 lug.

Sorry for the terrible photo, only one I can find. Ignore the lamp on the Apexi box.. Included in the photo is Ichiba 5-Lug, Stoptech braided lines, AC Delco pads. All ready to install, just waiting on the CTSV Swap brackets and I need to find some 5 lug wheels.

Found some R33 GTR wheels for a decent price with tires.

After a day of wrenching I got it all 5 lug swapped with the wheels and brakes on.

After a LOT of bleeding and having the girl in the car to pump the brakes it was ready for a drive.

The brakes stop on a dime! The pedal feel just isnt there. Im going to need to figure out what to do for a master cylinder. LHD cars can get a z32 master. Im wondering if I can get a R33, or RHD Z32 master to help with the feel. I am also going to have to figure out something for the rear since I still have the stock ones.

Shortly after the brake swap, the motor blew on my way to work cruising on the freeway. No idea how, nor do I really care, or want to spend the effort on it to find out.

Here is where the car stayed for a few months. Due to the timing in life, I couldn't put much time or money into it for awhile.

Fast forward a few months.
I managed to move out on my own and finally got my own garage.

I can finally start wrenching on the Silvia again.

While looking for the motor we added a new addition to the family.
90 BMW 318is

I love these cars I went through a few E30s before I joined the S-chassis family.

After a lot of searching I was able to find a reasonably priced SR, with a catch.

I had to buy the old Chevy Luv with it.

This probably was a sweet little truck at one point, has a fuel cell in the back, enjuku tune, Apexi SAFC, Meth injected, tons of other parts.

The guy I got it from was super cool. Said back in the day he was sponsored by FRsport. Not sure what he used the truck for, sounded like a little bit of everything. He started it up for me, apart from bad gas it sounded pretty good.

This is where I will leave it for now, still waiting on parts in the mail and I have to get a engine hoist, It is currently ready to pull.
More to come..
averyglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2018, 10:46 PM   #2
daddyalpine

daddyalpine is an unknown quantity at this point
Good write up, Avery!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
daddyalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:53 PM   #3
potatomonkey99
Leaky Injector

potatomonkey99 is a splendid one to beholdpotatomonkey99 is a splendid one to beholdpotatomonkey99 is a splendid one to beholdpotatomonkey99 is a splendid one to beholdpotatomonkey99 is a splendid one to beholdpotatomonkey99 is a splendid one to beholdpotatomonkey99 is a splendid one to beholdpotatomonkey99 is a splendid one to beholdpotatomonkey99 is a splendid one to beholdpotatomonkey99 is a splendid one to beholdpotatomonkey99 is a splendid one to behold
Hey I follow you on Insta! looking forward to how this build goes on.
potatomonkey99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:18 AM   #4
averyglass
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyalpine View Post
Good write up, Avery!

Thanks! Funny seeing you on here. All she needs is your coils
Old 10-17-2018, 07:19 AM   #5
averyglass
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatomonkey99 View Post
Hey I follow you on Insta! looking forward to how this build goes on.
Appreciate it
Old 10-17-2018, 07:21 AM   #6
averyglass
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyalpine View Post
Good write up, Avery!

Thanks man!
Old 10-17-2018, 07:58 AM   #7
daddyalpine

daddyalpine is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by averyglass View Post
Thanks man!

Buy me some Fortunes and I’ll hook you up with my HKS and my GT2871r [emoji8]

daddyalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:30 AM   #8
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Man, really sad to see what happened to that low mileage hatch you had. I am sure that must have been heartbreaking.

Looking forward to seeing more progress on this! Very jealous of the two tone Silvia. Keep it up!

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:00 PM   #9
averyglass
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryOnBronze View Post
Man, really sad to see what happened to that low mileage hatch you had. I am sure that must have been heartbreaking.

Looking forward to seeing more progress on this! Very jealous of the two tone Silvia. Keep it up!
Yeah, it was heart breaking.
Thank you! Big updates coming soon.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:16 AM   #10
codyzsilvia
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
codyzsilvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sub'd! Two tone for life
Old 03-31-2019, 09:13 AM   #11
averyglass
Leaky Injector

Hey guys, sorry for the delayed update. I had a lot of life happen in a little time and had to find motivation and get back on my feet.

Finally got the motor pulled!
https://imgur.com/ScrBIml
https://imgur.com/tbTRi8t
It was nice having this extra motor for all the little parts I needed of it.

This new wiring specialties pro harness finally came in. Hopefully its not pinned wrong like the last one.
https://imgur.com/Z45BAUp

Pulled the motor out of the truck shortly after, check out my garage heater grill. It was FREEZING.
https://imgur.com/j4GwT9P

Put the motor in the silvia. At this point im not too hyped on the turbo set up. The routing for intake piping wont work the way it is clocked and after I clock it the wastegate wont work. Looks like Ill be going to bottom mount soon.
https://imgur.com/JSyThOs

Skipping forward I did a bunch of little stuff that wasnt worth taking photos. Pulled out all the AC stuff since I wont be using it. Still waiting on parts, FRsport normally treats me well but after my last few orders being lagged with little no zero communication ill be taking my business elsewhere. Where do you guys shop?
https://imgur.com/KgYB8o3
Heres some of my parts that showed up.
Diftech premium lines, Mishimoto rad+shroud+fans, wiring specialties harness and grounding kit.
Cant say enough how impressed I am with the quality of the chase bays fan controller. Cant wait to wire this thing up.
Little complaint with wiring specialties harness. the harness showed up with the grommet off of it. It was minor but a pain in the ass to get it to try to squeeze over. I ended up cutting it and putting it over.

I received some TFworks valve cover hardware and after mocking up a bolt decide that it made my valve cover paint look worse than before and decided to repaint it.
https://imgur.com/Osp4u7g
https://imgur.com/TQUAfVj
https://imgur.com/AKcH4qC
https://imgur.com/1WOSBwK
https://imgur.com/M13fyL8
Im pretty hyped on this, best spray paint job I have done yet. Still need to figure out what to do with the coilpack cover.

More updates to come soon. Waiting on some fuel delivery stuff and need to go pick up a boatload of hardware.

Last edited by averyglass; 03-31-2019 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: Photo insert not working
Old 03-31-2019, 09:17 AM   #12
averyglass
Leaky Injector

The photos dont seem to be working so here is a link to the gallery.
https://imgur.com/gallery/anO1fR8
Old 03-31-2019, 12:27 PM   #13
nick_s13

nick_s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
DET>DE anyways! Good luck with the build.
nick_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:30 PM   #14
nick_s13

nick_s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
I own an sc300 and an s13 hatch, I love that you had a soarer man 1jz is awesome. Funny how you have r33 wheels I’ve been looking for them to complete my 5 lug swap. Similar tastes for sure lol. Let me know if you wanna sell those wheels ��
nick_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:03 AM   #15
averyglass
Leaky Injector

Woah its been awhile, lots of life happened and had to sell the Silvia. Not going to go into that haha. Long story short. I unloaded most of my s chassis stuff locally and got back into building E30s. Built a few and ended up cashing out on those as well after they appreciated to the moon. Got back into s-chassis and bought a LS1 Silvia with wiring issues. Buttoned it up and realized im definitely not a LS guy. But it was super fun while it lasted.

I went full Holley EFi and digital dash

I wanted to try to find a 180sx. Thats been the dream but I somehow kept ending up with Silvia's. Finally found one and pulled the trigger.

92' 180sx with a built SR20det
He towed it down for me 10 hours in a blizzard so we could meet up. When he shows up its definitely not the car he described. I thought I covered my end with asking for as many pictures and videos as could. The car came with a built motor with receipts. But smoked like a train. Left wheel was going out. Clutch pedal was broken. ETC ETC ETC. So I decided to send the dude packing. Driving home I felt really bad that he drove that far. So we met up again the next morning after working out a decent deal and I had the car in my hands. Here we are now.

First thing I did was get rid of a POS quick release that rattled so loud and put my nardi in.

I get the car home and first this I do is a compression test. The motor pulled a even 110psi across the board . I immediately buy another built SR from a friend and start putting together parts and pieces.

This is a work of art. Gen 2 top mount SR20det manifold from Future Fabrication

Also bought a g25-550 after doing some research on it and speaking with Jon at future fab.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:21 AM   #16
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Nice looking car. I think you're really going to love that G25-550!

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote