Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-25-2018, 06:05 PM   #1
jdm_land
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
jdm_land is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Will 240s and Sr20dets will still be popular in another 20 years?

Do you think 240s and Sr20dets will still be popular in another 20 years? It seems in the past 13 years the popularity for the 240 has died a lot. I’d also imagine Srs and 240s will be hard to find one day.

Any thoughts on the future of the s-chassis?
jdm_land is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2018, 06:07 PM   #2
xsil20x
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
xsil20x is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hard to say but as far as I know it’s been popular for decades now I got my first 240 in 2002.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xsil20x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:47 PM   #3
merlz
Zilvia Member

merlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to allmerlz is a name known to all
I definitely think they will be popular in 20 years time. They will be rare asf though and will be a rare occurrence to see on the road.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:27 PM   #4
feito
Nissanaholic!

feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
maybe as rare as s30's are now.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:57 AM   #5
jdm_land
Leaky Injector

I first got into 240s around 2005. Iv definitely noticed a decline of 240s on the road around the Tampa Bay Are over the past 13ish years (modded and stock). 2019 I can get a classic car tag for my coupe. There will always be a core 240 following. As for Srs, it seems Nissan Japan sold a lot of Silvia’s. Srs shouldn’t get hard to find for a very long time.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:20 AM   #6
Bnr32gtr
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Bnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I think sr20 will be way harder and lot more $. I used to be able to pick up s13 sr20 complete swaps( Motor trans ECU wire harness maf) for 1500 bucks all day every day,now my dude is getting $2500-2800. So I will never buy another sr. As for the Chassis i think they r getting more rare with time but don't think they will ever bring crazy $ for the simple fact you can buy the z33 for 5k now and it's a way better chassis all around and don't need to motor swap it. 80% of 240sx are shit boxs. The whole missile craze is what ruined the drift seen for me. Drift events should be a rolling car show.
Bnr32gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:03 AM   #7
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
I a still waiting on a 5K 350Z that's worth much more than scrap metal value.

Drift tax is catching up with that chassis as well unfortunately........
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:09 AM   #8
Bnr32gtr
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Bnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I've bought 3 z33 for 6k and under I picked up one for 3500 don't get me wrong they were far from mint but they r out there just have to search every day. Good deal don't last long.
Bnr32gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:14 AM   #9
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
THat's the thing. Non one wanted a 350Z a few years ago and you didn't have to look far for a clean stock chassis. Not the case any more.

If I have to drive 7+ hours or have to search tirelessly for clean chassis, then the cheap, under 5k shipped has sailed....

I could throw a stone and hit 3-5 clean 350Z under 5K a few years ago
Old 09-26-2018, 07:45 AM   #10
jdm_land
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnr32gtr View Post
I think sr20 will be way harder and lot more $. I used to be able to pick up s13 sr20 complete swaps( Motor trans ECU wire harness maf) for 1500 bucks all day every day,now my dude is getting $2500-2800. So I will never buy another sr. As for the Chassis i think they r getting more rare with time but don't think they will ever bring crazy $ for the simple fact you can buy the z33 for 5k now and it's a way better chassis all around and don't need to motor swap it. 80% of 240sx are shit boxs. The whole missile craze is what ruined the drift seen for me. Drift events should be a rolling car show.

The only Srs for sale that are $1500-2000 now a days are pieces of trash that people have been beating on for years now. I actually just picked up a complete s15 engine set w/ tranny for $3200 picked up. The guy pulled it out of his bone stock s15 with 40k on it. Got to actually see the s15 run and drive before buying the swap. The car sat in his garage in Florida for the past 3 years, only turned it on to charge the battery and circulate the fluids around.

It also seems the SR is being replaced with LS swaps. I personally know more people with LS swapped 240s then Sr swapped.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:48 AM   #11
jdm_land
Leaky Injector

Tampa Bay CL currently has 7 350s for under $6000, cheapest is $3500 running with 6 speed
Old 09-26-2018, 08:06 AM   #12
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
S-Chassis will always have a following, but day by day those numbers are dropping. Drifting is cool, but the beat and trashy thing got out of hand real fast a few years ago and its a bummer.

240's fell off a bit when people realized that drifting an E36 was very simple to do as well. And 350z's as stated above are going to be the next s-chassis, for all the 240 peoples children.

That being said, drift tax sucks if you're trying to buy, but shit, a few years from now my coupe will be a 30K, so keep crashing em, suckers.

On the subject of the SR, I never understood the hype when they were $1500-2K for a full swap (not trying to start a KA vs SR argument, just my opinion) BUT its insane theyre 3K now. (the prices of KA's are arguably worse inflation) wait until JZ's go up in price.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:20 AM   #13
jdm_land
Leaky Injector

Literally 2jzgte engine sets are selling for around the same price as red top SR20s.

And yes driving a beat up drift machine held together with zip ties around town got old really quick for a lot of us. Now I’m older I’m building a clean and fun weekend 240 with AC.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:47 AM   #14
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
10 years from now, the S-chassis will be about as sought after and popular as the S30 and 510 are today. The Z33/34, 86 will be the new go to cheapshit econoboxes buzzing and bouncing around town, with the Genesis coupe falling into obscurity like the Dodge Conquest and Fiero. All of their owners will have deep seated inferiority complexes about Mustang & Camaro drivers, just like today.

If you like the 2J now, you better get one before the new Supra drops. The way Toyota is talking about it being 2J compatible, those motors are going to disappear almost overnight. Hell, go grab an N/A one to build if you have to.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:59 AM   #15
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
On the subject of the SR, I never understood the hype when they were $1500-2K for a full swap (not trying to start a KA vs SR argument, just my opinion) BUT its insane theyre 3K now. (the prices of KA's are arguably worse inflation) wait until JZ's go up in price.
This man speaks the truth.

https://www.ebay.com/p/JDM-89-93-Nis...3535261&chn=ps

$2,999 for an s13 blacktop.

Want a notchtop?

$3,500

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-NISSAN-...QAAOSw6sdbbwxR
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:42 PM   #16
zenkicpe
Zilvia Member

zenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud ofzenkicpe has much to be proud of
dang crystal balls all up in this piece
zenkicpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:49 PM   #17
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post

Want a notchtop?

$3,500

For a 25+ and a 20 year old engines lol.

P.S People who think LS or 2JZ swaps are the new hotness. Yes and no. The reason why people buy a SR is because you can drop it in over the weekend and spend barely $1000 + engine to have it done

$1000 on a 2JZ swap gets you an oil pan.......Definitely out of the missile crowd budget for sure
Old 09-28-2018, 12:05 AM   #18
turboshoebox
Zilvia Addict

turboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymore
Quote:

Want a notchtop?

$3,500

pretty sure in 2004 or so I purchased a notch top sr20 about 3500 give or take. But it was a whole front clip not just the motor set
turboshoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:31 AM   #19
ILoveMyRHS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
ILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ILoveMyRHS13
Quote:

Want a notchtop?

$3,500

It fucking sucks that SRs are so expensive right now. I bought my full swap for $1600 back in like 2012/2013.

Maybe they went up in price because they became a popular swap for non-S chassis? I see them in a lot of odd things these days.
ILoveMyRHS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:04 AM   #20
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
10 years from now, the S-chassis will be about as sought after and popular as the S30 and 510 are today. The Z33/34, 86 will be the new go to cheapshit econoboxes buzzing and bouncing around town, with the Genesis coupe falling into obscurity like the Dodge Conquest and Fiero. All of their owners will have deep seated inferiority complexes about Mustang & Camaro drivers, just like today.

If you like the 2J now, you better get one before the new Supra drops. The way Toyota is talking about it being 2J compatible, those motors are going to disappear almost overnight. Hell, go grab an N/A one to build if you have to.

The part about the Genesis made me laugh.

This whole paragraph is why I tell myself to keep my Type X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboshoebox View Post
pretty sure in 2004 or so I purchased a notch top sr20 about 3500 give or take.
Oh you bought one for that galaxy-changing S-Chassis car you have? Cool story. Dude you're so knowledgable. God. What would we do without you? Fucking S-Chassis King, over here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboshoebox View Post
But it was a whole front clip not just the motor set
...then, like your threads, this information is totally irrelevant. Thanks again.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:38 AM   #21
Future240
Future Moderator

Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyRHS13 View Post
It fucking sucks that SRs are so expensive right now. I bought my full swap for $1600 back in like 2012/2013.

Maybe they went up in price because they became a popular swap for non-S chassis? I see them in a lot of odd things these days.

I'm think supply and demand. People have been importing this engines for over a decade. As the supply dries up prices go up.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:47 AM   #22
xsil20x
Zilvia Member

xsil20x is an unknown quantity at this point
^^Yep true true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xsil20x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:06 PM   #23
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
prices for SR motor sets have gone up quite a bit in Japanland too! roughly $1800-$2000 for a complete set with lower miles

S13s will always be in high demand, but they will be rare. the S13 is probably the most coveted of the the S-Chassis in the US. i dont plan on getting rid of mine for a LONG time. the ONLY other S-Chassis i will ever consider owning after my current S13 is a pristine and nicely kept S15 Spec-R Aero when they become US legal. i will gladly dish out the money for one and keep it nice! no track duty, no beating on it, just add coils, control arms, replace any worn bushings, drop on nice wheels, add front mount and nice exhaust and do nothin but cruise in it!

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:32 PM   #24
Future240
Future Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
prices for SR motor sets have gone up quite a bit in Japanland too! roughly $1800-$2000 for a complete set with lower miles
I would pay 2000 for a notchtop sr with lower miles in a heartbeat.

I wish I had a connect in J land that could hook it up. 2G's for the engine and trans + 500 for shipping and 200 finder fee would be doable.

With today's prices, the thought of swapping my car gets further and further away.....
Old 09-28-2018, 12:35 PM   #25
jdm_land
Leaky Injector

I imagine we will be seeing more JDM Zenkis and Koukis on the streets in the next few years. They will start becoming legal very soon. I think another 9 years and S15s will start becoming legal. And I’m sure there will be a long line of people that will buy one (including myself).

Just look how the US market has become flooded with R32 gtst. Sorry for any Non GTR R32 owners, but I definitely think people should look at other opinions or save the money for something better.

Quote:
I'm think supply and demand. People have been importing this engines for over a decade. As the supply dries up prices go up.
There is definitely a supply in my area. Mostly red tops from $1500-3500. The problem is these engines have been in the states for years now and have been beat to death by multiple owners. I don’t trust a lot of these SRs people are selling nowadays.

I wonder if SRs are cheaper in Canada or the UK because they actually have Silvia’s in those countries?
Old 09-28-2018, 02:51 PM   #26
Future240
Future Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm_land View Post
I imagine we will be seeing more JDM Zenkis and Koukis on the streets in the next few years. They will start becoming legal very soon. I think another 9 years and S15s will start becoming legal. And I’m sure there will be a long line of people that will buy one (including myself).

Just look how the US market has become flooded with R32 gtst. Sorry for any Non GTR R32 owners, but I definitely think people should look at other opinions or save the money for something better.

There is definitely a supply in my area. Mostly red tops from $1500-3500. The problem is these engines have been in the states for years now and have been beat to death by multiple owners. I don’t trust a lot of these SRs people are selling nowadays.

I wonder if SRs are cheaper in Canada or the UK because they actually have Silvia’s in those countries?

I would think there won't be many Silvia's running around because so many have been chopped up for the SR's in them.

Yea see no way I would pay 2500 or more for a redtop. A notchtop sure.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:35 AM   #27
Abeo
Leaky Injector

Abeo is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm_land View Post
I bought my blacktop s13 in 2014 for $1400, now they are going for $3000+. Gone are the times when the JDM importers had a stockpile and you could swap one in on the weekend after blowing one up...
Abeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:39 PM   #28
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Its getting expensive to re-use these old motors. Building them has become a necessity and that is something we have never been really good at.

So in the end it will be down to only people that know how to assemble a good motor, so they can drive their expensive 30 year old cars around before gasoline prices get to the point we all switch to home-made ethanol.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:52 PM   #29
DRIFTER-M
Zilvia Addict

DRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of lightDRIFTER-M is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to DRIFTER-M
240sx hasn't died in popularity as much as it seems, the issue is that many of the chassis have been completely destroyed. Back in 2003-2004, autotrader showed 10 pages of them within 100 miles of my zip. 2010, maybe 1 page? The chassis are not being created anymore, and the car has been a victim of heavy abuse.

Not saying it hasn't reached it's peak popularity. It definitely has, and whereas 6-8 years ago they were on the cover of every magazine and website, those same crazy builds on sub 5k chassis are now happening on other cars that are now in that range but way newer; Z, RX8, newer 3 series, etc.

TBH, chassis wise - I am not sure there was ever a better set up car than the s-chassis ever produced at least in readily available production cars. Jalopnik once said the LS1 s14 was the best sport car option in the world.

BUT

The chassis is simply rare now and the youth today (16-20 year olds) were not even born yet when they last USDM s14 was produced, or born the same year. They have seen newer cars, and those are simply replacing it.

As for the SR - idk. Prefacing I own a built notch top - but today's price compared with frankly better motors (Ls1 and others) it really just isn't as worth it anymore. There are better options for not AS much money. The SR thing has always been kind of funny too, many drivers in D1 / friends of mine in Japan kind of laugh at the SR. It's their junk motor, it's never been as dependable or sought after as the JZ or RB especially. It was so cheap there and easy to install, they would drive it to it's death and just replace everything for under a grand. In the US, that's never been a real option. It's always been above the price of it's true value IMO, and when you consider the current cost combined with it's decent (but not top shelf) dependability, it's just not quite on par with other more readily available swaps.

Still love my SR though. But I own it mainly because I am a purist, not because I think it's the bees knees.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:15 PM   #30
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
the SR is actually a very well built motor for what it is. my current SR ive had for 8 years and honestly have never had anything major go wrong with it. just kept up on normal maintenance and what not, still runs like a top but then again, im not using it for a damn race car setup. motor has a GT28 S15 spec r turbo on it set to 12psi... has been that way for like 6-7 years now. i have a PowerFC djetro + 740cc tomei injectors that will go into it one day, but im only looking to push 16psi on a good tune... thats it. 300hp is good enough for me

point is... dunno why the SR gets so much hate. i guess because drifting is no longer a 300-400hp motorsport. its a 1000+hp motorsport (at least in the US it is). but as a motor in general, the SR20det is an INSANELY OVER BUILT engine that will last as long as you take care of the silly thing.

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote