Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-19-2008, 11:42 PM   #1
louisdaboois
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (28)
louisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
tick tick tick. what the hell is it?

ok, well.... rebuilt my ka about 6 months ago, everything is sweeeeeet. almost 10k miles on it now and no problems besides a small rear main seal leak. one thing that has been bothering me is an annoying ass clicking sound coming from the valve cover. It's not the ordinary timing chain rattle, it's further back of the head. plus, i replaced all of the timing stuff and removed the unnecessary guides. read many threads on here about people with sr's hearing the same noise, but usually ends with a loud squealing sound. mine just taps excessively. I threw the valve cover off, just to make sure that the head is getting sufficient oil. everything looks normal, no scoring on the cam lobes, valve seats seem to be fine, caps are nice and tight and everything's smothered in oil. the noise is rpm based as well. I just hear it at idle, once the rpm's increase the noise gradually deminishes. It doesnt effect performance, drives normal cruising and under boost. It's a 93' (dohc ka-t) (s13). It's just annoying, help me out homies. thanks.

ps. oil level is fine, doesnt burn oil, etc etc
louisdaboois is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2008, 11:43 PM   #2
Impact Drift
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Impact Drift is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
sounds like a floating valve.
Impact Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:54 PM   #3
louisdaboois
Zilvia Addict

louisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfectionlouisdaboois is close to perfection
i dont know man. wouldnt you hear the sounds of a floating valve under load, rather than idle? lets say that road noise and exhaust isnt a variable.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:02 AM   #4
Impact Drift
Leaky Injector

Impact Drift is a well-known jackass
Quote:
Originally Posted by louisdaboois View Post
i dont know man. wouldnt you hear the sounds of a floating valve under load, rather than idle? lets say that road noise and exhaust isnt a variable.
you should be able to. It's just hard to diagnose the problem from the internet. It sounds like a valve problem though. Usually a warped valve will cause misfires but the floating valve will give you the pure pinging sound. I'm guessing the floating valve. But you're 100% right that it should only be heard under load. I just can't think of anything else.
Impact Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:12 AM   #5
BusBOy
Leaky Injector

BusBOy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BusBOy
It could also be your lifters.. you might have to bleed them.
BusBOy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:30 AM   #6
BusBOy
Leaky Injector

BusBOy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BusBOy
heres a link to see how to fix it.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothrea...postid=2266507
BusBOy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:41 AM   #7
smurfgcr
Zilvia Member

smurfgcr is making a name for him/her selfsmurfgcr is making a name for him/her self
it does sound a lot like the lifters needing to be bled. i tried this when i rebuilt my ka because i had that same noise and it definatly got more quiet after. didnt completely get rid of the noise but then again i wasnt too patient with the whole process.
smurfgcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:57 AM   #8
Nismoknightska-t
Premium Member

Location: Azusa, socal baby! why do i live this way?? it must be the money!
Trader Rating: (3)
Nismoknightska-t is close to perfectionNismoknightska-t is close to perfectionNismoknightska-t is close to perfectionNismoknightska-t is close to perfectionNismoknightska-t is close to perfectionNismoknightska-t is close to perfectionNismoknightska-t is close to perfectionNismoknightska-t is close to perfectionNismoknightska-t is close to perfectionNismoknightska-t is close to perfectionNismoknightska-t is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Nismoknightska-t
ka's are loud..!!

its your head built??
Nismokights on http://www.youtube.com/user/NismoKnights
Nismoknightska-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:21 AM   #9
louisdaboois
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusBOy View Post
It could also be your lifters.. you might have to bleed them.
it's a dual cam, they dont have hydro lifters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismoknightska-t View Post
ka's are loud..!!

its your head built??
no, just a stock rebuild.