Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #181
s14canyoncity
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (50)
s14canyoncity is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmdale_mob View Post
Okay so dumb question, do I have to smog my car every year or every other year for registration?

Its an s13

every other year.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:24 PM   #182
Z U L8R
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
Z U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond reputeZ U L8R has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Relatively vague/unimportant question

1. at what temperatures in the cylinder (or exhaust gas) does nitrogen start to break down into nitrous oxides at an environmentally harmful level?

More important/actually would like to know question

2. what is the average level of NOx ppm at 1600 degrees F of exhaust gas temperature?

i've been wanting to talk to combustion engineers to get this answer to then see if creating an affordable nitrous oxide sensor would be beneficial or redundant for tuning....with the intention of warning the user if they're reaching a level where knocking/pre-detonation is more likely to occur.

then establish whether it's redundant or more effective than just measuring egt's alone or if it's a waste since it's measuring a by product of egt's essentially....

basically just brain storming whether or not this sensor could be more or less useful/accurate than just an egt guage since instead of just measuring the heat and not knowing the chemical composition, it can measure the chemical composition similar to a wide band a/f guage, thus possibly being a useful tool for tuning....or a redundant waste of time and money

Dave
Old 09-28-2012, 11:57 AM   #183
EDacIouSX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
EDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to EDacIouSX Send a message via AIM to EDacIouSX Send a message via MSN to EDacIouSX Send a message via Yahoo to EDacIouSX
Ok yes yes I know, old thread. But this is pretty relevant since it's a new law taking effect this January. Here's the link: http://www.smogtips.com/new-smog-law-AB-2289.cfm

How will this effect smogging? Will it be much more difficult to smog a 1996-98 S14 since it now goes through the OBD Port and not the sniffer? And, it said something about pulling the VIN # off the ECU. WTH? Vin numbers are stored on the ECU? Can anyone clear some of this up?

Last edited by EDacIouSX; 09-29-2012 at 02:36 AM..
EDacIouSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #184
Turtle
Zilvia Member

Turtle is not welcome here anymoreTurtle is not welcome here anymoreTurtle is not welcome here anymoreTurtle is not welcome here anymoreTurtle is not welcome here anymoreTurtle is not welcome here anymoreTurtle is not welcome here anymoreTurtle is not welcome here anymoreTurtle is not welcome here anymore
I believe thats talking about the new obd system they're coming out.

I didn't read the page since link is broken for me but im assuming thats whats it talking about
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #185
chris_s13

chris_s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
yo my nox level is sill high. seafoam the car, gave her a tune up and installed a new cat with. also clean everything but still running high nox and i failed at least 10 times
chris_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:39 AM   #186
EDacIouSX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
EDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to EDacIouSX Send a message via AIM to EDacIouSX Send a message via MSN to EDacIouSX Send a message via Yahoo to EDacIouSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_s13 View Post
yo my nox level is sill high. seafoam the car, gave her a tune up and installed a new cat with. also clean everything but still running high nox and i failed at least 10 times
I had this problem, High nox is due to your EGR not working properly (EGR helps keep the cylinders cool, hot cylinders = more nox). One of my hoses was collapsed, fixed that and it worked like a charm. But, there's more to your EGR than just the hose but start at the vacuum hoses for your EGR. If not, change/clean your EGR. S13s a little different but it should be in the same area, it's located on the passenger side at the back of your head. Looks something like this:

http://forums.nicoclub.com/240sx-egr...l-t427162.html

I updated the link on my post.
EDacIouSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #187
xErniexChaosx
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
xErniexChaosx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Hey OP do you still work at smog shop?
xErniexChaosx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 06:22 PM   #188