Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-16-2007, 12:22 AM   #1
chuonthis
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
chuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
s14 HOW-TO: S14 digital climate control installation

I finally got around to putting together a how-to for the S14 digital climate control installation. I'm posting it on my website in case this thread ever gets lost. Let me know what you guys think or if there are any problems/questions.

http://www.chuonthis.com/cars/s14-dcc/
chuonthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2007, 12:30 AM   #2
nrg
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
nrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to nrg
very nice, much better writeup than the other guy on FA.

driftingisgay.com
nrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 12:35 AM   #3
chuonthis
Zilvia Member

chuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the roughchuonthis is a jewel in the rough
Was there a recent one? Or are you talking about Russ's old one (which I've never actually seen since you can't get to any posts on FA before 2005)? Haha, if it's Russ's.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:36 AM   #4
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Trader Rating: (10)
NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NemeGuero
Awesome write up mang.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:45 AM   #5
s13speeddrft
Zilvia Member

s13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the roughs13speeddrft is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to s13speeddrft
very awesome writeup. If i ever come around to that it will def. be a good source of info. Got to fix the small stuff first though.

*Junkyard Scavenger*
s13speeddrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:59 AM   #6
jiggs
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
jiggs has made poor choicesjiggs has made poor choicesjiggs has made poor choicesjiggs has made poor choicesjiggs has made poor choicesjiggs has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
what if i dont have the 2 subharness plugs and no wires? i just have the climate control itself. will i still be able to run it?
jiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 02:26 AM   #7
chrisman2k
Leaky Injector

chrisman2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to chrisman2k Send a message via MSN to chrisman2k
^^^^^^ Lmao ^^^^^^
Old 03-16-2007, 04:04 AM   #8
2iv0 sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
That's a very good write up!

Could you install one on my S13 for me? =D
2iv0 sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:59 AM   #9
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg
very nice, much better writeup than the other guy on FA.
Ya, that guy's writeup sucked.

Actually, I did that quick and with the notion that if people were attempting it, they at least had a basic understanding of the system in the first place and would know what each unit and piece was. I've now realized that's not the case at all.
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:45 AM   #10
chmercer
BANNED

chmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond repute
lol, hating on ANYONE who even tried helping people by doing any sort of writeup when he didn't have to do shit at all, GOOD CALL DUDE. i'm thankful for everyone whos done a writeup, helped me get mine working. this writeup particularly helped due to the error code screen, THANKS!

-johny5
chmercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 12:05 PM   #11
street240
Zilvia Junkie

street240 is just really nicestreet240 is just really nicestreet240 is just really nicestreet240 is just really nicestreet240 is just really nicestreet240 is just really nicestreet240 is just really nicestreet240 is just really nicestreet240 is just really nice
awesome post
Old 03-16-2007, 01:34 PM   #12
JohnC
Zilvia Junkie

JohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of lightJohnC is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks for a great writeup!!
Old 03-16-2007, 01:56 PM   #13
MadScientist
Zilvia.net Advertiser

MadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really niceMadScientist is just really nice
Your a Mother F-ing God in my book now!!

I was going to wait till I had an S14 Front Clip to pull from... but what the hell... now I have something to play with when the car is on down times.

++ rep galore

Peace
Drew
Old 03-16-2007, 02:19 PM   #14
chuonthis
Zilvia Member

Thanks for the rep. I just found a typo but only in the notes column for wires 7 and 8. I mixed up the + and -. No change to the wiring columns though. Also, I added a little to the thermo control amp description.

@jiggs, if you don't have the plugs for the DCC unit, then you're stuck since the USDM plugs don't fit and I'm not sure if someone will sell you the JDM plugs by themselves since they'd end up with a useless unit too. I guess you could figure out a way to connect wires to each of the pins in the back of the unit but that's almost impossible.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:19 PM   #15
statik
Zilvia FREAK!

statik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to statik Send a message via MSN to statik
wow, nice job on the writeup!
Old 03-16-2007, 03:02 PM   #16
MAGILLA
Zilvia Member

MAGILLA will become famous soon enoughMAGILLA will become famous soon enoughMAGILLA will become famous soon enoughMAGILLA will become famous soon enoughMAGILLA will become famous soon enough
re

great write up. I will have to book mark it for when I get through the mountain of other projects I need to do first.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:40 PM   #17
chmercer
BANNED

chmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond repute
if you have a spare dahs harness, the plug for the security box is the 20 wire plug you need just gotta add some wires by depinning the smaller usdm plug on the hvac box.
chmercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:21 AM   #18
Mattlanta
Leaky Injector

Mattlanta can only hope to improve
VERY NICE!

This is really easy to read...thanks for taking the time!!!

Last edited by Mattlanta; 04-03-2007 at 03:51 PM..
Mattlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:59 AM   #19
S14TEVE
Zilvia Member

S14TEVE is a jewel in the roughS14TEVE is a jewel in the roughS14TEVE is a jewel in the roughS14TEVE is a jewel in the roughS14TEVE is a jewel in the roughS14TEVE is a jewel in the roughS14TEVE is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to S14TEVE
WOW. good job. I will be using this write-up when my DCC comes in. JDM TYTE YO! mad props, thanks!
Old 05-02-2007, 02:56 PM   #20
95Blue240sx
Post Whore!

95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection95Blue240sx is close to perfection
Holy crap man thats a great write up. The only thing that would make it better would be to have larger pics.

Would you mind if I made a PDF out of that page? Webpages seems to disappear over time.

Please leave me feedback
95Blue240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:03 AM   #21
addikted2bass
Leaky Injector

addikted2bass can only hope to improve
you the man!
addikted2bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:10 PM   #22
Mattlanta
Leaky Injector

s14

I found this write up so helpful even before I was ready to do mine. Just understanding what was involved helped tremendously.

Now I have a Kouki S14 clip, which I am using for my SR swap, and when purchasing it I made sure to find one with all the DCC parts in tact.

MY ONLY QUESTION:
The write up says you can't use the JDM S14 fan control amp, but then later in the install it looks like that is what is being used and a hole is cut for it. Can someone clarify if I can use the JDM S14 one or if I will have to buy this part form another donor? Can I still use the S14 JDM one, but I have to do a modification that would not otherwise be required?

That's the only part I was not completely clear on. Thanks in advance for anyone's help!
Old 05-22-2007, 09:57 PM   #23
projectRDM
Post Whore!

projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
You can't use the US blower resistor. The JDM one is fine, or you can use an S13 or Q45 resistor, you just need to flush mount whatever you choose into the evaporator case to clear the glovebox.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
Old 05-23-2007, 09:53 AM   #24
Mattlanta
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by R240NA View Post
You can't use the US blower resistor. The JDM one is fine, or you can use an S13 or Q45 resistor, you just need to flush mount whatever you choose into the evaporator case to clear the glovebox.

Thanks! That's what it looked like in the photos. I guess it was a typo and he meant to say you can use any one except the USDM S14.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:05 PM   #25
chuonthis
Zilvia Member

Weird, I'm not getting notifications of replies on this thread.

Mattlanta, I said the fan control amp (Russ calls it the blower resistor) can be taken from *any* donor. It's the mounting shield that can't be from a JDM S14. I can maybe update the page later to show pictures of the difference. I'm gonna clean out my evaporator unit some time soon anyway (smells like crap when AC is on) so I'll have to take stuff apart anyway.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:50 PM   #26
Bandwagon240sx

Bandwagon240sx is on a distinguished road
Just wanted to say thanks for that awesome write up! I just scored the controller, complete subharness and all the sensors on ebay so I am looking forward to getting this working in my car. I cant stand way the factory AC operates. With the complete subharness I shouldn't have to rewire much except repinning the air mix motor correct? It almost seems like that would be too easy.
Bandwagon240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:45 AM   #27
chuonthis
Zilvia Member

You're right, that does sound too easy. Now that I think about it, what I wrote in my write up about having the complete subharness isn't right at all, unless you had the complete Main harness. This is what Russ told me a long time ago:

"It's basically easier, if you have a clip, to cut the harness out separately, you'll have a subharness with just a few leads to connect, power, ill, ground, and the blower motor."

Makes sense to me since you probably don't want to replace the entire Main harness. So really, what you should probably do is keep the wires/plugs that run to each of the 3 sensors, the ones that run to each of the 4 door motors (intake, mode, bi-level, air mix), and the ones that run to each of the control amps (thermo and fan). Then find sources for illumination, power, and ground. Then you need to do something about the blower motor (see page HA-104 in the SR20 FSM).

Sorry for the misinformation. Let us know how it goes.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:53 PM   #28
zerooath
98 Kouki Slicktop. Tip Dealer!

zerooath is a name known to allzerooath is a name known to allzerooath is a name known to allzerooath is a name known to allzerooath is a name known to allzerooath is a name known to allzerooath is a name known to allzerooath is a name known to allzerooath is a name known to allzerooath is a name known to allzerooath is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to zerooath
nice write up man and statik i think im in love with your car!
zerooath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 05:39 PM   #29
Bandwagon240sx

Bandwagon240sx is on a distinguished road
Yeah I'll let you know how it goes for sure. I'm not sure what you mean by Russ's comment you quoted though. If the subharness connects to the main harness, if you were to cut the main harness with the leads to the subharness wouldn't you still have to splice into the USDM main harness? Basically no matter what you have to cut and splice it just depends on where you do it. Is that correct? I have no problem doing the cut and splice method like you did though. In all honesty that might be easier than trying to make the jdm subharness work. To me it looks like a larger version of a custom stereo install. You wouldn't hapeen to have an online resource for the SR20 FSM would you? or even a scan of the pages you mentioned?
Bandwagon240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:18 PM   #30
projectRDM
Post Whore!

I'll detail it better, since you guys keep talking about me.

Basically what I did and suggested in my old writeup as well as numerous posts since is this:

Take the JDM dash harness out of the clip and lay it all out, unwrapped and without any tape. Trace all the plugs you'll need for the climate control and tape them off. Everything will tie in together except for the few leads that aren't used in the US harness. In most cases you'll find other wiring running through some of the harness you'll need (cluster, radio, etc), just cut those until you've got the entire climate control harness separated from the rest of the dash harness. You'll then only need to cut the illumination lead (black on JDM, but it goes to red/yellow in the US), orange/green (+12V constant lead) , and the two large blue/whites for the blower motor that go to the control head, thus removing it entirely from the dash harness. You now have a subharness that will plug in to all the existing motors and the added sensors, with no rewiring except for the additional ones mentioned above. Leave all the US plugs alone and tape them up in the harness.

While that sounds completely logical to me, if anyone has questions go ahead and ask and I'll try to be more remedial with my explanation.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com

Last edited by projectRDM; 03-23-2008 at 11:55 AM..