Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 01:22 AM   #1
Brendan75

Trader Rating: (0)
Brendan75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Mid engine 240sx?

Hey y’all, I had an idea yesterday that hasn’t left my mind, hypothetically if someone could get a vg30dett to bolt up to a transaxle or whatever else the kit car fellas use to get power down, I understand having to build the new firewall, new suspension in the rear end, and all the custom mounts and body work associated with this monstrosity of a project, just im just trying to understand it so I can finally sleep and not have this racing threw my head
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2020, 04:57 AM   #2
shaggyjake
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
shaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
there was a guy on silviav8forums a few years ago who was attempting that with an LS and corvette transaxle. thread died and the site doesn't function anymore so who knows where it went.

it looked like ass, anyways.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:30 AM   #3
Brendan75

Brendan75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question

I’m kinda thinking having the motor under the back window, then the transmission behind that, im kinda thinking like that mustang gt-40 built off the old 69 mustang, it doesn’t have to be a vg30dett it could be whatever it is to helps y’all understand what i’m thinking
Old 01-23-2020, 06:41 AM   #4
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
I'm kinda thinking you're going to start, realize you fucked up a S-chassis to the point of no return and junk it before it even comes close to being complete.

Leave a good thing alone.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:57 AM   #5
shaggyjake
Zilvia Member

shaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choices
this is either going to require an insane level of skill for fabrication and welding, or you're going to need very, very deep pockets.

but, yes, you have the right idea. an engine under the back window with the transaxle mounted behind the engine.

that's what MR is.

the difference between an MR format and an S Chassis is that our cars are not designed that way. we have a much longer front end than any MR car, and very limited room between the back of the driver seat and the subframe.

the floor behind the front seats will need to be completely removed, a crossmember built between the frame rails to support the weight of the engine, and a completely custom subframe to house the transaxle (which will be too large to fit under the stock subframe). if you can get that far, you will need to build a functional firewall between the new engine bay and the passenger compartment. You need to really picture how little room there will be for an entire drivetrain in that small space.

like Supa said, please don't ruin another s chassis. unless you happen to have a junker lying around somewhere.

i don't know your welding or fabricating abilities, so i don't want you to think i'm insulting you, but this is not a task for a beginner. these cars have been around for 3 decades and I have never seen a (not completely fucked) MR modification on one. There's probably a reason for that.

best of luck to you.

edit: i just remembered the Porsche 944? was a front engine car with a rear transaxle like the corvettes, but is about as big an S13,S14. Maybe there is a way to use that subframe as a reference, but I think you are going to get in over your head when you try to fit an engine behind the front seats.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:15 AM   #6
Silv1401
Zilvia Member

Silv1401 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjake View Post
this is either going to require an insane level of skill for fabrication and welding, or you're going to need very, very deep pockets.

but, yes, you have the right idea. an engine under the back window with the transaxle mounted behind the engine.

that's what MR is.

the difference between an MR format and an S Chassis is that our cars are not designed that way. we have a much longer front end than any MR car, and very limited room between the back of the driver seat and the subframe.

the floor behind the front seats will need to be completely removed, a crossmember built between the frame rails to support the weight of the engine, and a completely custom subframe to house the transaxle (which will be too large to fit under the stock subframe). if you can get that far, you will need to build a functional firewall between the new engine bay and the passenger compartment. You need to really picture how little room there will be for an entire drivetrain in that small space.

like Supa said, please don't ruin another s chassis. unless you happen to have a junker lying around somewhere.

i don't know your welding or fabricating abilities, so i don't want you to think i'm insulting you, but this is not a task for a beginner. these cars have been around for 3 decades and I have never seen a (not completely fucked) MR modification on one. There's probably a reason for that.

best of luck to you.

edit: i just remembered the Porsche 944? was a front engine car with a rear transaxle like the corvettes, but is about as big an S13,S14. Maybe there is a way to use that subframe as a reference, but I think you are going to get in over your head when you try to fit an engine behind the front seats.
Correct 924s first, and then the revised version, the 944 both had FR layouts with rear transaxle configurations for the optimal weight distribution. However, technically speaking, Corvettes don't actually have rear transaxles, but rather a rear transmission and a seperate, albeit connected, differential.

Regardless, I'm all for obscure builds, but please don't kill another S-chassis unless you plan to go balls-to-the-forehead full send. Better idea would be to just make a tube chassis, get all of your mid/rear-engine tomfoolery situated, and then start tacking body panels to it. Like they say, if you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball. Well in this case, if you can cut, weld, and fabricate an S-chassis into a MR/RR, then you can cut, weld, and fabricate an s-chassis body onto a bunch of tubes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2020, 12:36 AM   #7
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
s13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13 @ fullboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaDoopa View Post
I'm kinda thinking you're going to start, realize you fucked up a S-chassis to the point of no return and junk it before it even comes close to being complete.

Leave a good thing alone.
Dam....this is pretty on point.

It would be pretty cool show to watch on monster garage or something.

O.P. If you have the skills & money to do a project like this and actually go through with / attempting it. I will 100% subscribe to this thread.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:15 AM   #8
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Do it for clout!!!
Old 01-24-2020, 09:26 AM   #9
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

jedi03 is on a distinguished road
do it and learn! whether you finish or not you will have fun!
Old 01-24-2020, 10:13 AM   #10
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I typed up a long winded post yesterday only to delete it thinking "Who TF cares/ Don't feed the trolls"

If you really are going to do this, with your skills, money and shit ton of free time, do it to a rear ended 240. You will be cutting out a lot of shit back there anyway. This will be cheaper than doing a full tube chassis (you will probably be doing a partial tube chassis anyway).
Old 01-24-2020, 10:18 AM   #11
cherryhatch

cherryhatch is an unknown quantity at this point
This is an LS4

Old 01-24-2020, 10:47 AM   #12
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Hoky fuck...look at those welds..... that is not done properly at all. But its in there
Old 01-24-2020, 11:46 AM   #13
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
s13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13 @ fullboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
Hoky fuck...look at those welds..... that is not done properly at all. But its in there
lol I was just thinking as I was viewing the photos "dam that looks sketch af" & not just the welds
Old 01-24-2020, 05:33 PM   #14
foreverdeath
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
foreverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Its in there but i dont see any structure left. if you were to attemp this the only way i see a true MR setup done and not a relocated FWD setup. would be mounting a Subaru front crossmember with engine and FWD transmission. anything more then a 4cyl boxer or a 13B is got run into space issues, to where a doing the powersteering belt requires dropping the engine out. if you want a better idea on space look at a factory 5 818 build.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:21 PM   #15
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
for fucks sake... can people just stop coming up with ideas like this and apply their time to actually making their cars NICE? that V8 MR setup is just a fucking embarrassment. what is the POINT of wasting money like that... dude couldve put the same time and money into a clean V8 swap and made his car nice! nope... another 240sx ruined!

i hate that our cars have become "rat rods" and that the bulk of them are now just hunks of shit due to inane ideas and half assed attempts!

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
Old 01-25-2020, 10:08 AM   #16
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
There's lots of rear or mid cars of all types, but if you have to ask you are the wrong motherfucker.

Look into 914s if you want that drive configuration. They're very cheap, for a very pure platform that's already got a motor in the right place.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:25 AM   #17
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

jedi03 is on a distinguished road
that's crazy...its definitely in there but agreed on the sketchy...the newspaper soundproofing looks like it was at least put on semi-straight lol
Old 01-27-2020, 10:06 AM   #18
lewisfk
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
lewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I was hoping to see something inspirational but got severally disappointed, if I had the manufacturing skills I would start with this setup below. Gas monkey was able to pull this off with 3.5 liter ecoboost engine in a Pantera.

https://www.noblecars.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_M12
Old 01-27-2020, 10:57 AM   #19
nick_d_240sx
Leaky Injector

nick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymorenick_d_240sx is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
for fucks sake... can people just stop coming up with ideas like this and apply their time to actually making their cars NICE? that V8 MR setup is just a fucking embarrassment. what is the POINT of wasting money like that... dude couldve put the same time and money into a clean V8 swap and made his car nice! nope... another 240sx ruined!

i hate that our cars have become "rat rods" and that the bulk of them are now just hunks of shit due to inane ideas and half assed attempts!
This. I hate seeing shitboxes with engine swaps, no interior, no dash, wires everywhere, multicolor body panels, missing bumper covers, etc. Do what you want, but goddamn, try to make it nice.

Shameless plug. Recently cleaned up my spare wheel well and re-installed the rear carpet. New steering wheel, head light stalk, leds in the dash, shift boot, functioning ac controls, and stereo. I think it's getting pretty nice.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:37 AM   #20
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
you cannot make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:47 AM   #21
feito
Nissanaholic!

feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Only way I can see this happening is by extending the wheelbase by moving the rear wheels rearward and using a longitudinal mr setup such as the one used in audis

you could use the entire subframe and suspension, but by then your 240 will be too long, so you'll have to move your front axle (completely redisigned or borrowed from another car)back a bit and shorten the nose, and your engine will be visible through the rear quarter glass, which now sit behind your firewall completely blocking your visibility

and just for shits:

I actually think I kind like it haha.
But by then, you could have bought a nice audi, a vette or even an nsx
Old 01-28-2020, 07:55 AM   #22
feito
Nissanaholic!

feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Or why not just get an mr2? get an sw, lots of room in there. Im doing a v6 swap on my aw, and some people have done some crazy shit with them. You wanna go crazy on an mr platform and on the cheap? Mr2 is your answer. Hell, get a gen three, that way if you give up and end up ruining it nobody would mind....
my aw a few months ago
Old 01-28-2020, 09:17 AM   #23
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
im closing this thread... its making peoples heads hurt.

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
Closed Thread