Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #31
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yes please document everything, and elaborate on any issues or stopping points you hit please. I think all of us are saving up for this swap and you can write the bible!

Thank you OP!!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #32
VizorS14

Trader Rating: (0)
VizorS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
any updates?
VizorS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:57 PM   #33
battosaii930
Leaky Injector

battosaii930 is an unknown quantity at this point
im Still waiting on parts Chasebays their 3 week long wait on back ordered parts is turning into 7 weeks now and Brett from Collins Performance told me my stuff would be shipped out this week so i decided to pull my engine out.

i didnt really document this part very thoroughly because its been done a million times! anywho here are some pics.

getting all set up with my tent in the morning you need this down here the Florida Sun can be killer.

unplugged everything and pulled everything off she is ready to come out

out and nasty dirty!

i noticed that one side of my turbo had lost the nut lock and both nuts and studs on one side had worked them self loose! awesome more stuff to order

Spec Stage 2 Clutch DONE! this thing did not perform like advertised

i Also noticed my rear main is leaking so this would be a good time to replace it.

here i am comparing the SR and Z33 Tranny curiously the SR tranny is a bit longer.

thats it for now untill more parts come in im stuck i really didnt think things would take this long
battosaii930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #34
norcalta

norcalta is an unknown quantity at this point
Okay guys sorry for the long wait but finally got the transmission back from shop Sunday and started on it sunday night trying figure out which throwout, sleeve, fork and pivot ball are the best setup. So I see that you can order 2 different pinballs for s chassis there is ond from 89 to mid 91 and then a later one I purchased the later one thinking that it may be a revision. From what I have found the s chassis pinball DOES NOT WORK with the z33 6 speed period! It is too short and with possibly destroy your clutch slave. The z cars use a longer pinball in their cars they used this from 90-03 from what ive seen then they switched to the cast iron fork from a stamped steel fork the cast iron is supposed to be way stronger setup especially with. Chomoly pinball. I have heard that u can swap this to a sr or ka tranny witb the proper z33 pinball but I doubt it due to looking at the size difference the z33 and z32 pinballs "to use a late z33 fork in a z32 u would have to use the z33 pinball which is the same size as the s chassis one but the ball is completely round instead of half round like the s chassis". So after in and out. Few times the winning combo is z33 cast iron fork, s chassis sleeve, s chassis throwout bearing, z33 retainer spring, z33 pinball. No problems. Also using act xtreme 6 puck unsprung. So im finally happy to have this done!!!
so all the other issues that are a problem with this swap
1. Hope you have topmount or have easy access to a exaust shop because stock sr20det dump pipe is not even close to fitting. I found a cheap dump pipe online from ssautopower that had divorced wastegate and looked the easiest to mod only had to dimple in on the wastegate portion and trim very little off trans bellhousing I have picts if anybodys interested
2. My shaftmasters drive shaft for non abs is too long. custom order your shaft I can barely get my shaft in without lowering trans or using worn out trans mount "which is already smushed down" this thing I think is bottoming in the trans. that cant be good im gonna put a j30 rear for the abs sensor so I can have speedo working hope fully I get the rear over the weekend and have it in next week ill keep you guys posted. Oh ya and I forgot to tell you guys that as far as I can see there or no differences between s chassis and z32 and early z33 clutch forks other than one stamped with a s "maybe made outta different material" I got picts of this too if anybody is interested
norcalta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #35
Mile High Silvia
Leaky Injector

Mile High Silvia is an unknown quantity at this point
awesome update!
Mile High Silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #36
battosaii930
Leaky Injector

Hmm I was planning on using the SR sleeve and throw out bearing and z33 fork and ball but I did not anticipate the driveshaft being too long and exhaust clearance isn't an issue I can get it modified here by my house. Well until I get everything in I can't bolt the tranny up and check drive shaft clearances, do you think the shorter Abs drive shaft will do the trick?
Old 09-09-2013, 07:19 AM   #37
battosaii930
Leaky Injector

small update im selling my C230 Daily Driver because i just picked this up last night

just a teaser cause she needs a wash
Old 09-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #38
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Norcalta and Battosai, thanks for continuing to update, this is the information i love! and will be referring to when i take the plunge, hoping around next feb when i get my bonus. =)
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalta View Post
Okay guys sorry for the long wait but finally got the transmission back from shop Sunday and started on it sunday night trying figure out which throwout, sleeve, fork and pivot ball are the best setup. So I see that you can order 2 different pinballs for s chassis there is ond from 89 to mid 91 and then a later one I purchased the later one thinking that it may be a revision. From what I have found the s chassis pinball DOES NOT WORK with the z33 6 speed period! It is too short and with possibly destroy your clutch slave. The z cars use a longer pinball in their cars they used this from 90-03 from what ive seen then they switched to the cast iron fork from a stamped steel fork the cast iron is supposed to be way stronger setup especially with. Chomoly pinball. I have heard that u can swap this to a sr or ka tranny witb the proper z33 pinball but I doubt it due to looking at the size difference the z33 and z32 pinballs "to use a late z33 fork in a z32 u would have to use the z33 pinball which is the same size as the s chassis one but the ball is completely round instead of half round like the s chassis". So after in and out. Few times the winning combo is z33 cast iron fork, s chassis sleeve, s chassis throwout bearing, z33 retainer spring, z33 pinball. No problems. Also using act xtreme 6 puck unsprung. So im finally happy to have this done!!!
so all the other issues that are a problem with this swap
1. Hope you have topmount or have easy access to a exaust shop because stock sr20det dump pipe is not even close to fitting. I found a cheap dump pipe online from ssautopower that had divorced wastegate and looked the easiest to mod only had to dimple in on the wastegate portion and trim very little off trans bellhousing I have picts if anybodys interested
2. My shaftmasters drive shaft for non abs is too long. custom order your shaft I can barely get my shaft in without lowering trans or using worn out trans mount "which is already smushed down" this thing I think is bottoming in the trans. that cant be good im gonna put a j30 rear for the abs sensor so I can have speedo working hope fully I get the rear over the weekend and have it in next week ill keep you guys posted. Oh ya and I forgot to tell you guys that as far as I can see there or no differences between s chassis and z32 and early z33 clutch forks other than one stamped with a s "maybe made outta different material" I got picts of this too if anybody is interested
Old 09-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #39
s13mikesr20
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
s13mikesr20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
your gonna love it!!!!!!
s13mikesr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #40
epedomic
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
epedomic is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
finally, people are catching on. Ive been sitting on an z33 tranny for months now waiting on more info for the complete swap. this helps tremendously, thanks!
epedomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #41
battosaii930
Leaky Injector

well nothing too major, i got my shift bracket back from Collins Performance but im still waiting on my adaptor plate and cross member. here are the two trannies lined up side by side, keep in mind the z33 tranny will sit another 3/8" further back because of the adaptor plate.

i also bolted my turbo back up, replaced my rear main seal and i got in a box full of gaskets. im also still waiting on my chasebays powersteering kit, 3 weeks back order has turned into 8 weeks now. i may order some new inner and outer tie rod ends since they are so easy to change right now and mine look pretty shabby

ive also been having alot of fun driving around the S55 this thing is so smooth its rediculous and its got power to spare for a Daily

Old 09-29-2013, 04:58 AM   #42
maces13
Leaky Injector

maces13 is an unknown quantity at this point
This is so helpful. I'm doing this in a few months time and this thread makes me feel much better about doing it and ordering/buying all the parts. Thanks for the help bro
maces13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:07 AM   #43
kpnasty
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
kpnasty is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
very cool. im sure this trans can take a beating, and still maintain cruising capability. hell yeah!
Old 09-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #44
simon240sx

simon240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a question. I have purchased an adaptor plate from George. he told me to remove 1/2 inch from the bellhousing. I think the important thing is that the output shaft is in the same place on the z33 sr20. I will like know if other person buy this adaptor plate from George and i will like know how mani inch you have remove from the bellhousing. Thanks! And this is a very good project!
simon240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #45
battosaii930
Leaky Injector

mine is from Brett Collins and mine was 3/8" removed from the bell housing but i havnt recieved my adaptor plate or my crossmember yet so i have not yet checked driveshaft clearance. im also waiting on my chasebays power steering kit waiting for parts this long with your ride in pieces is beyond infuriating but what can i do.

ive cleaned my engine bay iv fixed my hanging turbo problem, fixed my coolant line leak by replacing the -6AN 90 degree fitting, ive installed my 740cc injectors with new seals from nissan i installed a new rear main seal i probably should figure out my transmission bolt situation the plate is 3/8" thick so i just have to make sure bolts dont poke out more then 3/8" from the bellhousing

i also noticed my steering rack boots are all ripped and im thinking of replacing inner and outer tie rods as well as the boots
Old 10-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #46
turtle m3th
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (41)
turtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond reputeturtle m3th has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
That's odd that the plate would be 3/8" since every other plate that Brett makes is 5/8". And after looking at it on his sight, it appears to by the same thickness as my 1uz adapter, which is 5/8".
Old 10-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #47
battosaii930
Leaky Injector

i talked to Brett Directly and he told me to have my transmission milled 3/8" or 9mm maybe the SR Adaptor plate is just a different thickness i dont know until i have it here
Old 10-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #48
rbs14kouki
Zilvia Addict

rbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to all
^ good to know !!!! i need to check up collins and goerge for the plate on my set-up

Built thread sr20vet s14
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=535574
rbs14kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #49
Prok0
Zilvia Junkie

Prok0 will become famous soon enoughProk0 will become famous soon enoughProk0 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Prok0
Yea I actually worked with Brett on measuring up the OEM flywheel height, height of crank compared to the mating surface of the block, depth of splines on the clutch, etc. so that he could come up with exactly what needs to be milled off to get the trans in the right spot.

I have my bellhousing back from machining, and a linkeage I am going to try to modify here in the coming weeks so I can get the trans all buttoned up and back together.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #50
battosaii930
Leaky Injector

good news guys Brett has shipped out my adapter plate and crossmember USPS says estimated arrival is on the 17th so hopefully soon by wednesday i can get things moving!
Old 10-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #51
battosaii930
Leaky Injector

good update i just got in my Adaptor plate and crossmember!

as for transmission bolts you will need 6 M12x1.75 50mm long bolts and they all will need a washer of some kind because they are a hair too long.

i did have to mod my starter a bit to fit on the adaptor plate but ill talk about this tomorrow with pics, i unfortunately ran out of time today its super dark and i could not continue nor take good pics so tomorrow i will continue and make sure to take good daytime pics
Old 10-18-2013, 01:44 AM   #52
59bhp
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
59bhp is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
awesome info bud thanks for that

could you throw up a couple of pictures you have of the issues with the bottom mount turbo and dump pipe?

also do you have any pictures of what you had to trim of the bellhousing to get it to fit?

cheers
59bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #53
battosaii930
Leaky Injector

ok i did quite a bit and i did run into some problems.

ok now the SR starter has this ring about 1/4" high on it and to fit on the adapter plate you need to grind down that ring flush but not all the way around just the part that will make contact with the adaptor plate

here i replaced the friction plate on my flywheel

here is the adaptor plate with the fly wheel and clutch going on.

now here is where i ran into my first problem, im using the SR bearing carrier with the Z33 fork and z33 spring clip.
left is SR spring clip and right is z33

it ll went together fine but when i mated the tranny to the engine i find that the fork has full movement and does not even reach the pressure plate. my solution is to buy the collins bearing carrier made for this swap but i had thought the SR one would work.

all bolted up

i used 1/8" thick washers and the bolts are just slighly too long still so i will switch for 1/4" washers

i put her back in the engine bay to check drive shaft clearance and i noticed i had a much harder time putting the engine in with the bigger tranny but it did go in

beefy! i do have to remove the factory rubber vibration absorber from the tranny it just makes it too tight

anyway my driveshaft is about an inch too long i will have to contact shaft masters to see if they can help me out or if im just shafted.

so main problems i have to deal with now is that the drive shaft is too long and the throw out bearing carrier is too short ill try to update asap guys thanks for looking
Old 10-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #54
rbs14kouki
Zilvia Addict

rbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to all
Can you also take a picture from inside the car for the shifter position pls !

Built thread sr20vet s14
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=535574
rbs14kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #55
battosaii930
Leaky Injector

i have not cut out the shifter hole yet i was just mocking the engine its all coming back out.

i spoke to the guys at shaftmasters and it turns out i needed an ABS drive shaft because of my j30 lsd. I just found it weird since i never had a problem using the stock drive shaft on my j30 lsd now i have to ship it out to them so they can shorten it.

also about the exhaust clearance, i see how it needs to be modded i just have no experience welding so i wont be modding it my self ill just have my intercooler pipe guy fab me up a custom elbow
Old 10-31-2013, 01:37 PM   #56
battosaii930
Leaky Injector

Ok shaftmasters has replaced my driveshaft and it's shipped out today and I ordered the collins throw out bearing carrier
Old 11-02-2013, 02:39 AM   #57
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
So has nobody been able to retain the stock shifter position with the z33 transmission? That's probably the only thing that is keeping me from pulling the trigger on this swap. I want to retain the factory shifter boot and trim and I haven't seen that done yet.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #58
battosaii930
Leaky Injector

There is no way of having the shifter sit in the factory shift area that I know of other then Moving then entire engine/tranny forward but that's impractical, it's really not that bad you don't need to modify the center console at all just the shifter bezel a little bit, I havnt done that yet because I've been so busy with work. I'm also thinking of running the clutch line through the firewall and in the car
Old 11-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #59
battosaii930
Leaky Injector

well i had a long bad day, UPS did not ring my doorbell and i had to head out to the UPS constomer service and wait till about 9pm to get my package and as im waiting some jerkoff backed into the side of my S55 AMG and dented right rear door

eitherway i got the collins throw out bearing carrier and my drive shaft that fits perfectly!

its late so i dont have many pics but it was a test fit, tomorrow im going to mark out where i have to cut for the shifter hole and then pull my engine/tranny back out to get ready for the working install
Old 11-07-2013, 01:09 AM   #60
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
So you can't run the rubber shift boot anymore and all the engine and outside smell and wind is going to come up threw the hole now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote