Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-20-2008, 05:58 PM   #1
Rittmeister
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
Rittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really nice
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Brake squeal

Well, my brakes are noisy. It's a loud squealing that happens under light braking pressure. If I let up, it goes away, and if I step down harder it likewise disappears.

This is an 11" Fastbrakes setup with Wilwood forged Dynalite 4-piston calipers on the front, stock rear, stock BMC and booster. Car was originally automatic so it has the larger booster. S13 without ABS.

Pads are Hawk HPS all around, and the pads are nowhere near worn out. When I contacted Brian at Fastbrakes about the noise, he advised me to take the pads out and scuff them up on the sidewalk and put them back. While I was doing that I broke out the tin-snips and cut away most of the rest of the dust shields (I'd originally just cut the lip off to fit the larger rotors).

Anyway, the noise was gone for about a day but has returned, though less than before. I'm 90% sure it's coming from the front and not the rear. According to Fastbrakes the HPS pads shouldn't make any noise.

I did a bunch of searching with no results. Anybody have any ideas? My big concern is that the wheel bearings might be going, but I've never heard of wheel bearings making a brake-squeal sort of noise.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2008, 07:43 PM   #2
Rittmeister
Zilvia FREAK!

Rittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really niceRittmeister is just really nice
Uh... anyone?
Old 05-21-2008, 07:49 PM   #3
OptionZero
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
OptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to OptionZero
properly bedded?
did u apply the anti-brake squeal gel stuff

everything installed correctly?
OptionZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:53 PM   #4
tec_neak

Trader Rating: (0)
tec_neak is making a name for him/her selftec_neak is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have stock calipers on a S14 with the HPS pads, and once in a while that happens but I don't really mind it, just thought it was normal...
tec_neak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:02 PM   #5
240srhatch
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
240srhatch is a splendid one to behold240srhatch is a splendid one to behold240srhatch is a splendid one to behold240srhatch is a splendid one to behold240srhatch is a splendid one to behold240srhatch is a splendid one to behold240srhatch is a splendid one to behold240srhatch is a splendid one to behold240srhatch is a splendid one to behold240srhatch is a splendid one to behold240srhatch is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
lube it up!! apply some anti-squeal lube behind the pads, shims, and pins
240srhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:05 PM   #6
Rittmeister
Zilvia FREAK!

How goopy/gunky does that stuff get? BTW, there are no shims with this kit, it's a 4-piston setup and came with only the pads.

For that matter, no pins either except for the cotter pin that goes through the pads to keep 'em from falling out.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:25 PM   #7
240srhatch
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
240srhatch is a splendid one to behold240srhatch is a splendid one to behold240srhatch is a splendid one to behold240srhatch is a splendid one to behold240srhatch is a splendid one to behold240srhatch is a splendid one to behold240srhatch is a splendid one to behold240srhatch is a splendid one to behold240srhatch is a splendid one to behold240srhatch is a splendid one to behold240srhatch is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
yea just lube up all the moving parts on the caliper.. it happened to me when i did z32 brake upgrade.. just a light coat is fine, just dont get it on the rotors or the contact side of the pad
240srhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:37 PM   #8
5t341tH
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 5t341tH
damn i thot mine was the only one. after the z32 swap, i have the same problems as you. i didnt think that brakelube would be that benificial

lexus baby
5t341tH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:15 AM   #9
kenshinS14sks
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
kenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
maybe your rotors are glazed over. . . when's the last time you got your rotors resurfaced? this can cause noise too
Old 05-22-2008, 12:18 AM   #10
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
My rotors were glazed the hell up.

Noisy as foock after a few minutes of driving.

Got them resurfaced, installed new pads...done.

Quiet as hell.

Z32 fronts.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:18 AM   #11
SoguRacing
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
SoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SoguRacing
just as a note: i wouldn't rub the pads on the ground, as silicone grains can bed themselves into the pad causing odd vibration and strange noises.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:06 PM   #12
Issa__40__
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Issa__40__ is making his/her stupidity well-knownIssa__40__ is making his/her stupidity well-knownIssa__40__ is making his/her stupidity well-knownIssa__40__ is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
brake squeal

so im having this issue now aswell i have 4 pistons up front and z32 in the rear in my s14 . z32 bmc . for the first couple minutes of driving theres no noise once they warm up and under light breaking shit sounds like a fuckin train lol and im lost lol gonna take the wheels off and inspect anything . im hoping i just forgot to grease them enough
Issa__40__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:40 AM   #13
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
hard pads on hard rotor surface will squeal, a lot of other times dust buildup can cause it...micro cracks on the rotor surface...lots of possible avenues...i just make sure i still have pad left and know that noise is a good one!
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:53 PM   #14
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
...so you bumped a thread from forever ago?

What kind of pads are you using? I thought it was cool to 'ball out' on the Project Mu D1 pads for street use. They are loud as fuck due to the type of pad they are.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:00 PM   #15
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Issa__40__ View Post
so im having this issue now aswell i have 4 pistons up front and z32 in the rear in my s14 . z32 bmc . for the first couple minutes of driving theres no noise once they warm up and under light breaking shit sounds like a fuckin train lol and im lost lol gonna take the wheels off and inspect anything . im hoping i just forgot to grease them enough
don't bump old threads unless you have some new or useful information to contribute.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote