Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-26-2006, 12:42 PM   #1
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Stupid Air Conditioning problem.

I keep blowing the fuse that lets the A/C run and lets you operate the power mirrors. I don't know why.
I need ideas.

If you tell me to search, I'll smite you. I did search.
I troubleshooted. I'm pulling out my hair.

It's not an instant blow. It'll run for awhile, and then the fuse will jsut quit.

Thanks in advance.
mrmephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2006, 03:51 PM   #2
hipro
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
hipro is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S13 or S14? Which fuse is shared between A/C and windows on either model? My S14 has a bad driver side window switch... if I leave it all the way down, the motor doesn't stop and continues to run, which has blown the fuse. I just don't remember a link between the A/C and windows.
hipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:55 PM   #3
WILDACEX187
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
WILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WILDACEX187
dunno if it'll help but make sure that the switch on the power mirrors are in the middle so its not giving the mirror power. does the fuse blow if the a/c is off or just when it turns on?
Old 07-26-2006, 04:11 PM   #4
mrmephistopheles

180sx
I've only had it blow while the AC is on.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:06 PM   #5
WILDACEX187
Post Whore!

WILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond repute
try a bigger fuse. cuz if there was a short it would pop right away im guessing
Old 07-26-2006, 08:55 PM   #6
mrmephistopheles

i've already tried upping from 10A to 20A. it blew too.
I'd rather not kill some vital component in my AC system by upping fuses.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:30 PM   #7
Highboost180SX
Leaky Injector

Highboost180SX is on a distinguished road
A friend of mine is having the same problem right now. The solution is a coil in the compressor. You have to take the compressor clutch off to get to it and replace it. Problem is we dont know what other coil matches up. At least its a start, wish i could give more info. If we find anthing I will keep you posted.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:39 AM   #8
WILDACEX187
Post Whore!

he can probably just get another compressor since he's in japan
Old 07-28-2006, 12:58 AM   #9
Ritz S14
Post Whore!

Ritz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud of
Sounds like the AC clutch may be dragging. Does it make a grinding noise when the compressor engages?
Ritz S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 02:42 AM   #10
idlafie
Zilvia Addict

idlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to beholdidlafie is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmephistopheles
I keep blowing the fuse that lets the A/C run and lets you operate the power mirrors. I don't know why.
I need ideas.
<<<...flashing back to the Mamos CC Tech days troubleshooting at his lil' garage / detail shop....

You always did suck at electrical....don't make me travel all the way to Japan to fix your shorts!!!...HAHAHAHAHA...

ID

PS:
It's probably your trunk dome lights!!!...hehehe...or was it the brakes?? hell I can't remember any more!!!....hahahaha...
Old 07-28-2006, 06:39 AM   #11
mrmephistopheles

For clarification, the compressor doesn't make any strange sound when engaging, and nothing odd while running.

Diego, yeah I know my electrical sucks. Oddly enough my brakelights are fine now. I'm just pulling my hair out because it's not an obvious short or crossed wire.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:15 AM   #12
Highboost180SX
Leaky Injector

Highboost180SX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmephistopheles
For clarification, the compressor doesn't make any strange sound when engaging, and nothing odd while running.

Diego, yeah I know my electrical sucks. Oddly enough my brakelights are fine now. I'm just pulling my hair out because it's not an obvious short or crossed wire.
Its the coil in the compressor, you can change the compressor but then you have to evac and recharge the system. We switched his out and problem solved. Its the same symptoms, the fuse blows after like 5 minutes of the A/C on.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:59 PM   #13
hipro
Zilvia Member

hipro is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highboost180SX
Its the coil in the compressor, you can change the compressor but then you have to evac and recharge the system. We switched his out and problem solved. Its the same symptoms, the fuse blows after like 5 minutes of the A/C on.
I just swapped the clutch on an SR compressor last weekend with the compressor mounted in the car, which meant I did not have to evac and recharge the system. However, it probably would have been faster to evac, replace the whole compressor, and then recharge. Since I had a spare SR compressor and had never swapped the magnetic coil, I thought it would be a great learning experience. It took about 4 hours, start to finish, because of not having the right size gear puller. You need one that is very small to be able to connect to three pull points on the armature plate so as to separate it from the pulley rotor without damaging/warping, or else you could have serious vibration issues. Plus, you need deep/long throated snap ring pliers to reach inside the recessed area of the pulley rotor to remove the snap ring. Once removed, I tested both coils... you could definitely tell the good one from the bad because of a strong magnetic pull vs. no pull at all.
hipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:01 PM   #14
kandyflip445
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
kandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kandyflip445
SEARCH!!!!!!!!!!......the junkyard for a new compressor. Have you tried testing the resistance of any of the components? A short will read 0 ohms if something is shorted which it sounds like. Good luck with it.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:28 PM   #15
xpinoyxmk
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
xpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Bumping this up to see if someone found a fix. Searched everywhere and came up with nothing. Have the same issue and can't seem to trace the problem. 10a fuse blows instantly when I activate the compressor.

Not sure if this matters but my idle doesn't raise like it use to when my ac was working. Could this mean my ficd is bad? Only other thing I can think of is the pressure switch on the drier.

For reference, own a 180sx with the original sr20 and haven't touched anything ac related. Just switched out the compressor for another and refilled with freon, work when the tech was filling it up with freon but after he disconnected it, 5min went by and it blew the fuse.
xpinoyxmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:31 AM   #16
xpinoyxmk
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
xpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quick update: Unplugged the connector at the compressor to see if the fuse would still blow. Started the car and turned the ac on.

Conclusion: Fuse perfectly fine.

Does that mean the compressor is bad? Short at the compressor?

The connector was pretty dirty/little bit of gunk on it.
xpinoyxmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:21 PM   #17
Joes13Silvia

Joes13Silvia is an unknown quantity at this point
anyone with a part number for a new compressor? is it the same as the sr motor in the 200sx car?
Joes13Silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:37 AM   #18
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
just grab the ac clutch kit, will come with new magnet and you don't have to drain/refill your refrigerant!
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:57 AM   #19
Joes13Silvia

Joes13Silvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post
just grab the ac clutch kit, will come with new magnet and you don't have to drain/refill your refrigerant!
ooo thanks for the advice! I was getting ready to do a k24 conversion, didn't really want to get into all that thought. I am gonna double check that's whats blowing the fuse and order one, thanks!

*edit* so I looked around on rock auto, ebay and amazon and didn't see an 'sr20 ac clutch kit' are they universal? or any recommendations where to find them
Joes13Silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:37 PM   #20
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
maybe measure the disc and try to match?
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote