Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-30-2020, 04:29 PM   #1
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
The $32,750 stock S13

Hey Guys!

Cruising around bringatrailer.com and noticed that this car just sold a few days ago. Kind of broke my brain for a second. I still can't figure out the special factor that makes it so amazing. Sure, its in good shape and all factory, but I just couldn't believe it when I first saw it.. I was figuring stupid low miles, or a rare production number (like the first 1990 produced, or something like that).

We've all watched the prices of our cars go up over time (I bought my first one back in 2004 for $300), but it this where we are headed? Or is this just a fluke by someone who severely overpaid for what could be called a "museum piece"?

Here's the link I found

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-nissan-240sx-4/

Also, included is a small chart they had of the sale of S chassis' over the last few years, you can start to see things make a slow and steady trend upward, but that one that just sold really stands out..

Old 08-30-2020, 05:12 PM   #2
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
This was already posted and a discussion presented in the "your doing it wrong thread pt.2"

Fyi
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 05:27 PM   #3
burnsauto
Post Whore!

burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
This was already posted and a discussion presented in the "your doing it wrong thread pt.2"

Fyi
I figured it had to be covered...I just couldn't find it, I don't really go on that thread that much, wouldn't really think this would be "doing it wrong". Maybe a sign of the times. I've worked in shops for years, hearing older guys say all the time "If I knew what they were worth now, I'd never of sold my *insert car*". Just as a casual observer, I see the Japanese car community heading in the same direction. This car made me look up production numbers, which scared me. I was watching Robbie Nishida, and even he was commenting on how S chassis and JZX's are getting harder to find, and more expensive..to the point where he's building a chassis with little aftermarket support just because the price is there.

I really need to stop thinking adult conversations can be had on zilvia..

crazy thing is, I wasn't even on bringatrailer to look as 240's...I was originally on there looking at VW dune buggies..lol.
Old 08-30-2020, 06:02 PM   #4
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
No worry, i agree with what u said...these prices are going crazy for 240s now adays
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:16 PM   #5
zombiewolf513
BANNED

zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Its because the buyer is an idiot or generous. Its not "museum quality" I bought my first grey sohc 240 in ohio for $2000 that was in better shape than the 33k. I bought my 4th 240 red sohc for $500. I bought my mint white 92 for $3500, and my mint black one for $2500. I bought a mint kouki s14 with SR for $5000 in 2007. The bottom sheet metal and subframe on that $33000 impulse buy are rusted out lol

They will become more valuable in original condition like all classics. Person with too much money gave it to someone with probably not as much money
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:44 PM   #6
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (19)
mav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsauto View Post
We've all watched the prices of our cars go up over time (I bought my first one back in 2004 for $300), but it this where we are headed? Or is this just a fluke by someone who severely overpaid for what could be called a "museum piece"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiewolf513 View Post
Its because the buyer is an idiot or generous.

https://zilvia.net/f/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=246

The winning bidder was bidding on a car he owned new in 1990, he even met his wife in the car. Same with the next higher bidder for ownership.

Several of the high bids were placed by people that had money or are into old cars. You can click on the name of the bidder/comment to see their bid or comment history.

It's probably a fluke thing for this specific car. The previous S13 listed on BaT ended up selling around $8000 to high bidder that didn't meet reserve, 1989 XE Coupe fully loaded, under 50k miles but automatic, one owner. I was bidding on that car but I had accidentally talked to the owner a month prior to listing.

Distributor for Nismo, ORC, and discontinued genuine Nissan parts.

Authorized dealer for Oakley -- PM me for the best prices!

[email protected]
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:45 PM   #7
smoketherear
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
smoketherear is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
there was an article stating the guy bought this car because it was the same spec and condition that he had when he met his current wife. Kinda hoping to see this thing parked next to a few exotics . i dont mind this price trend being on the rise, itll be easier to re apraise my 240 under my collectors car insurance hahaha
smoketherear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:52 PM   #8
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

mav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfection
You know what will fetch a lot of money? A stock S13 w/ Super HICAS, low miles like all the others on BaT.

[email protected]
Old 08-30-2020, 09:55 PM   #9
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoketherear View Post
there was an article stating the guy bought this car because it was the same spec and condition that he had when he met his current wife. Kinda hoping to see this thing parked next to a few exotics . i dont mind this price trend being on the rise, itll be easier to re apraise my 240 under my collectors car insurance hahaha
It was in the comments section on the auction...

"This was the first car I ever owned. Same color, model, trim, etc.. Met my wife in this car and my brother crashed it This will not be a drifter.. Been searching 3 years for it."

[email protected]
Old 08-30-2020, 09:59 PM   #10
smoketherear
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
smoketherear is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I remember reading something about that some where , thanks for the quote. I find that pretty cool . People call him dumb but honestly the car was listed for like 6k on the Facebook pages and everyone laughed at the kid selling it. Everything on BaT reaches a completely different audience and that what people fail to realize. Everything always sells for more than the average price.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
smoketherear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:47 AM   #11
burnsauto
Post Whore!

it just comes down to a matter of intention. We look at a stock car as a beginning, and the new owner looks at that car as an end.

When I got my first chassis, I didn't even really care about the condition of it, just the price, and that it existed. I didn't notice that the chassis was in pretty good condition, and the previous owners had taken decent care of it. But..not many 18 year olds have that kind of perspective. I thought I'd replace every piece of the car..now I search the internet for OEM pieces..
Old 08-31-2020, 01:55 PM   #12
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
This was a fluke/exception. Two bidders got into a war based on nostalgia. The 26k-mile DOHC car in Missouri that sold in November of last year was a nicer car- and that car was also driven up by nostalgia (the winning bidder had a similar 200SX in NZ, and the losing bidder was also the losing bidder on the auction we're discussing).

That's not to say that there isn't an upward trend in the market. We've already seen an increase in the prices of decent S-chassis; the guy in San Diego selling a $30k S14 and the guy in LA selling a $9k DOHC-swapped '89 (which I'd love to see the VIN of so we can check mileage history). There's an $8k '91 in the Bay Area with more than 130k miles. Dizzariot sold his for more than $8k.

Increases in car prices mean increases in the manufacturing viability of restoration parts from aftermarket companies. Increases in car prices mean more dealer inquiries for discontinued parts. Net positive for all of us, especially those people with nice cars to begin with.
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:04 AM   #13
tromer9

Trader Rating: (0)
tromer9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Not worth the money, though good for the seller.
tromer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:27 AM   #14
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA24DESOneThree View Post
This was a fluke/exception. Two bidders got into a war based on nostalgia. The 26k-mile DOHC car in Missouri that sold in November of last year was a nicer car- and that car was also driven up by nostalgia (the winning bidder had a similar 200SX in NZ, and the losing bidder was also the losing bidder on the auction we're discussing).

That's not to say that there isn't an upward trend in the market. We've already seen an increase in the prices of decent S-chassis; the guy in San Diego selling a $30k S14 and the guy in LA selling a $9k DOHC-swapped '89 (which I'd love to see the VIN of so we can check mileage history). There's an $8k '91 in the Bay Area with more than 130k miles. Dizzariot sold his for more than $8k.

Increases in car prices mean increases in the manufacturing viability of restoration parts from aftermarket companies. Increases in car prices mean more dealer inquiries for discontinued parts. Net positive for all of us, especially those people with nice cars to begin with.

I'm with you on everything you said. Nostalgia is a powerful thing though. With enough time, I think we'll start to see these flukes happen more and more often. Not saying are cars will become hemi cuda's or anything like that (leave that to the R34's, etc) but still I'm glad to see that some value (not just monetary value) is being assigned to the chassis.
Old 09-01-2020, 02:51 PM   #15
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoketherear View Post
there was an article stating the guy bought this car because it was the same spec and condition that he had when he met his current wife.
Hey all jokes aside sentimental value/nostalgia is priceless for many people. Congrats to the seller and the buyer for finding exactly what they were looking for.

BUT with all that being said buyer probably couldve saved a bit by importing one.
ZenkiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 03:36 PM   #16
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
An import wouldn't be a 240SX; he owned a 240SX. The car sold in November could be purchased as a 200SX, but nice ones there seem to be even rarer. I know that seems like a pedantic distinction, but nostalgia's usually all about pedantics.

One of my customers' cars was delivered in a color I've quite literally never seen in person. His car would be worth more if painted its original color, like $20k+ more. However, his kids have only known it to be a black car and their nostalgia drove him to repaint it black.
Old 09-02-2020, 12:57 PM   #17
coupesallday!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (18)
coupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via MSN to coupesallday!
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-nissan-240sx-6/

Curious to see what this coupe brings. Such a clean car!!
coupesallday! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:06 PM   #18
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
An import wouldn't be a 240SX; he owned a 240SX. The car sold in November could be purchased as a 200SX, but nice ones there seem to be even rarer. I know that seems like a pedantic distinction, but nostalgia's usually all about pedantics.

One of my customers' cars was delivered in a color I've quite literally never seen in person. His car would be worth more if painted its original color, like $20k+ more. However, his kids have only known it to be a black car and their nostalgia drove him to repaint it black.
Yup.

Plus I don?t know that many 50-70 year old people that would want an imported RHD car, unless he stationed in Japan originally prior to meeting his wife.

[email protected]
Old 09-02-2020, 07:28 PM   #19
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupesallday! View Post
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-nissan-240sx-6/

Curious to see what this coupe brings. Such a clean car!!
Stoked to see it's in Canada, has leather, and has a sunroof.

Guarantees no late-night "accidental" bids from me.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:11 PM   #20
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiewolf513 View Post
Its because the buyer is an idiot or generous. Its not "museum quality" I bought my first grey sohc 240 in ohio for $2000 that was in better shape than the 33k. I bought my 4th 240 red sohc for $500. I bought my mint white 92 for $3500, and my mint black one for $2500. I bought a mint kouki s14 with SR for $5000 in 2007. The bottom sheet metal and subframe on that $33000 impulse buy are rusted out lol

They will become more valuable in original condition like all classics. Person with too much money gave it to someone with probably not as much money
Exactly - you bought those clean cars, already. They're not making them anymore.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:54 PM   #21
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Stoked to see it's in Canada, has leather, and has a sunroof.

Guarantees no late-night "accidental" bids from me.
I'm in the process of bringing a car over from Canada...

About ~$200 brokerage, plus 2.5% duties, plus cost to transport car across border.

Vancouver BC to Bellingham WA is about $500, rest is a matter of transporting or driving it back.

If you have the right broker and transport company, it would end up adding about $700 + duties to bring the car over the border, then you can drive it home. I would've done the border crossing myself but everyone in the world hates Americans right now.

[email protected]
Old 09-03-2020, 04:42 AM   #22
spoolinrb25det
Leaky Injector

spoolinrb25det is a splendid one to beholdspoolinrb25det is a splendid one to beholdspoolinrb25det is a splendid one to beholdspoolinrb25det is a splendid one to beholdspoolinrb25det is a splendid one to beholdspoolinrb25det is a splendid one to beholdspoolinrb25det is a splendid one to beholdspoolinrb25det is a splendid one to beholdspoolinrb25det is a splendid one to beholdspoolinrb25det is a splendid one to beholdspoolinrb25det is a splendid one to behold
Temped to toss mine up there

Old 09-03-2020, 04:25 PM   #23
sparko

sparko is an unknown quantity at this point
32k!?!? had to be a forex trader pick up...
sparko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:20 AM   #24
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Wow it's already gone. Buyer is a dumbass

https://www.thisworldthesedays.com/3...ywrecked1.html
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:44 AM   #25
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

I am trying to decide if you get neg rep for rickrolling an otherwise fairly serious and on-topic conversation.

Edit: Can a mod delete 23, 24, 25, 26?

Last edited by KA24DESOneThree; 09-04-2020 at 05:34 PM..
Old 09-04-2020, 10:44 AM   #26
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Old 09-04-2020, 11:12 AM   #27
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Got me too. Touche.
Old 09-05-2020, 03:06 AM   #28
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
I heard this thing got smashed already lol...
Old 09-09-2020, 11:44 AM   #29
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

S13 coupe currently sitting at ~$9700 with 30 minutes left.

[email protected]
Old 09-09-2020, 01:45 PM   #30
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

$13k final price.

Fair, IMO. That combination of options, condition, and miles was a unicorn.