Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-29-2008, 04:46 PM   #1
ryebreadz28
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
ryebreadz28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Battery relocation and distribution blocks

I'm relocating the battery to the hatch, and had a couple of questions that I'm not sure about (and searching had mixed answers).

I bought a 2 of these distribution blocks since I'm also wiring in my relays for my altima fans, and I didn't want a massive rat's nest of wiring.

They have a 0/4 gauge input, and (2) 4 gauge & (3) 8 gauge outputs each.

I'm going to have my battery come in to the input. How do I get from the block to the harness to actually start/power the car? Can I just run a 4 gauge wire from the dist. block to the stock battery connector?

I plan on connecting the other block to the main ground and using it as a grounding point for everything.
ryebreadz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2008, 05:17 PM   #2
Koopa Troopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
Koopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Koopa Troopa
For my kit I ran the main battery cable to the block, from the block goes the live wire to the starter and into the block comes the alternator wires from the fuse box.

Buy my Stillway shifter!

Koopa Troopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:34 PM   #3
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadz28 View Post
How do I get from the block to the harness to actually start/power the car? Can I just run a 4 gauge wire from the dist. block to the stock battery connector?
The easiest way is to run at least a 2AWG wire from the battery terminal to the stock positive cable. Keep in mind that a 4AWG wire may not be big enough to handle the current load.

You may want to invest in the following parts:

a) bulkhead connectors - these connect a wire across the firewall
b) battery disconnect switch
c) some way to connect the battery cable to the stock cable
d) high amp fuse at the battery terminal. Somewhere around 200-300A, depending on how much stereo equipment you have.

The block itself is just a junction. It's useful if you want to tape a big cable for power. If you're using the stock wire harness, you don't really need the distribution block, unless you're tapping additional power, like powering a fan.

If so, the block may be a convenient way to connect the battery cable to the positive cable, and you can draw current for your fans and such.

Just make sure you insulate the distribution block really well. If the block touches metal, it will short the battery to ground and start a fire.

I'm using a distribution similar to that as well, but mine is inside a plastic battery box and insulated from all metal. Plus mine is on a fuse. So even if it shorts to ground the fuse will blow.

Who's in the picture frame?
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:45 PM   #4
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
using a piece of plexi-glass (sp?) between the body and the distribution block does the trick. Where did you pick up the block anyway?
Old 04-29-2008, 08:07 PM   #5
ryebreadz28
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
ryebreadz28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by g6civcx View Post
The easiest way is to run at least a 2AWG wire from the battery terminal to the stock positive cable. Keep in mind that a 4AWG wire may not be big enough to handle the current load.

You may want to invest in the following parts:

a) bulkhead connectors - these connect a wire across the firewall
b) battery disconnect switch
c) some way to connect the battery cable to the stock cable
d) high amp fuse at the battery terminal. Somewhere around 200-300A, depending on how much stereo equipment you have.

The block itself is just a junction. It's useful if you want to tape a big cable for power. If you're using the stock wire harness, you don't really need the distribution block, unless you're tapping additional power, like powering a fan.

If so, the block may be a convenient way to connect the battery cable to the positive cable, and you can draw current for your fans and such.

Just make sure you insulate the distribution block really well. If the block touches metal, it will short the battery to ground and start a fire.

I'm using a distribution similar to that as well, but mine is inside a plastic battery box and insulated from all metal. Plus mine is on a fuse. So even if it shorts to ground the fuse will blow.

Who's in the picture frame?
Haha, thats my girlfriend and I.

I guess I forgot to mention that I will be powering 4 relays for my altima fans off of the block as well. That's why I was going to go positive battery cable --> block -->starter/alternator/fans?

I got the blocks off ebay. They do have a cover that goes over them.

Basically I'm trying to eliminate this hazard (which is just 2 relays for 1 of the 2 fans, plus fan controller!):
ryebreadz28 is offline   Reply With Quote