Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Local / Regional / National > Japan 日本

Old 09-04-2015, 01:16 AM   #1
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
Heading to Yokosuka APR2016...2015 Subaru Crosstrek OK to go?

So we're on a 96hr for Labor Day and I can't contact Yokosuka. I was told that newer cars aren't allowed in Japan. They have to comply with Japanese standards and require a lot of work done in-country once they are landed there. The source of this claim was stationed there a long time ago...and is also a fucking moron.

Anyone have experience with this? My other car, a '93 S13, would be runner-up if we don't get the Crosstrek.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:52 AM   #2
dizzariot
Post Whore!

dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Anyone? I know there has to be a few members currently stationed in Japan...
Old 09-07-2015, 09:40 AM   #3
nissan180sxer
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
nissan180sxer has a spectacular aura aboutnissan180sxer has a spectacular aura aboutnissan180sxer has a spectacular aura aboutnissan180sxer has a spectacular aura aboutnissan180sxer has a spectacular aura aboutnissan180sxer has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzariot View Post
Anyone? I know there has to be a few members currently stationed in Japan...
I believe you can talk to household goods, they can probably give you some information. I've talked to them about bringing my car in japan to the US.

commercial:
011-81-46-816-XXXX

dsn:
315-243-xxxx

try personal property, probably same thing as household goods. hope that helps

http://www.public.navy.mil/surfor/cd...ukaPhones.aspx

also, are you going to be on a ship? im heading back to japan April 2016 as well, currently tad.
nissan180sxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:15 PM   #4
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan180sxer View Post
I believe you can talk to household goods, they can probably give you some information. I've talked to them about bringing my car in japan to the US.

commercial:
011-81-46-816-XXXX

dsn:
315-243-xxxx

try personal property, probably same thing as household goods. hope that helps

http://www.public.navy.mil/surfor/cd...ukaPhones.aspx

also, are you going to be on a ship? im heading back to japan April 2016 as well, currently tad.
My wife talked to a Navy wife that just got there 2 months ago. She gave me the number to the VRO (Vehicle Registration Office) and I'm going to call them from work tonight. Thanks for the link, though! I'll try those if it doesn't work out.

I'm going to the flagship. Where will you be stationed? Have you been out there long?
Old 09-07-2015, 07:08 PM   #5
nissan180sxer
Zilvia Junkie

nissan180sxer has a spectacular aura aboutnissan180sxer has a spectacular aura aboutnissan180sxer has a spectacular aura aboutnissan180sxer has a spectacular aura aboutnissan180sxer has a spectacular aura aboutnissan180sxer has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
My wife talked to a Navy wife that just got there 2 months ago. She gave me the number to the VRO (Vehicle Registration Office) and I'm going to call them from work tonight. Thanks for the link, though! I'll try those if it doesn't work out.

I'm going to the flagship. Where will you be stationed? Have you been out there long?
Blue Ridge? that was my home lol i left there a few months ago. im with a squadron in Atsugi now.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:58 PM   #6
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Quote:
Blue Ridge? that was my home lol i left there a few months ago. im with a squadron in Atsugi now.
COMFAIRFWD? I tried to go there first. What's your rate/paygrade? I've heard the Navy is dumping serious funds into Atsugi...

...but what can you tell me about the Blue Ridge? lol

OT, I called a few places today. I was quoted $3000 - $5000 to get it done. The guy on the phone said $5000 was for a US-spec R35. I've heard they test things like noise, fuel, emissions, and change the headlights to 'point in the right direction'. Can anyone confirm this? A Crosstrek wouldn't even need all of those things done. Headlights and MAYBE emissions...
Old 09-08-2015, 03:34 PM   #7
nissan180sxer
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
COMFAIRFWD? I tried to go there first. What's your rate/paygrade? I've heard the Navy is dumping serious funds into Atsugi...

...but what can you tell me about the Blue Ridge? lol

OT, I called a few places today. I was quoted $3000 - $5000 to get it done. The guy on the phone said $5000 was for a US-spec R35. I've heard they test things like noise, fuel, emissions, and change the headlights to 'point in the right direction'. Can anyone confirm this? A Crosstrek wouldn't even need all of those things done. Headlights and MAYBE emissions...

LS2 at HSM-77. You?

BLR is probably the best ship you can be on. 4-5 countries and a dozen port visits a year. might be different for you tho but dont wanna go into detail. opsec lol are you BLR or 7th fleet staff? theres 2 commands on the ship. sorry cant help with car problems but for 3-5k might as well buy another car there.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:18 PM   #8
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Quote:
LS2 at HSM-77. You?

BLR is probably the best ship you can be on. 4-5 countries and a dozen port visits a year. might be different for you tho but dont wanna go into detail. opsec lol are you BLR or 7th fleet staff? theres 2 commands on the ship. sorry cant help with car problems but for 3-5k might as well buy another car there.
I'm an IT3 going to BLR ship's company. I'm coming from 3rd Fleet Staff and I fucking HATE staff duty so I'm stoked to go to ship's company. I know it sounds weird but working with top brass all the time just gets ridiculous.

$5k was for a 'performance' car, though. If I have to cough up $3k for a family car with a warranty then I'd do it. I don't want to worry about my car breaking down and needing repairs while I'm gone. Then my wife has to deal with it.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:51 PM   #9
nissan180sxer
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
I'm an IT3 going to BLR ship's company. I'm coming from 3rd Fleet Staff and I fucking HATE staff duty so I'm stoked to go to ship's company. I know it sounds weird but working with top brass all the time just gets ridiculous.

$5k was for a 'performance' car, though. If I have to cough up $3k for a family car with a warranty then I'd do it. I don't want to worry about my car breaking down and needing repairs while I'm gone. Then my wife has to deal with it.
I like BLR side better IMO, more unity. i would go back on there if opportunity comes up.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:22 PM   #10
xpinoyxmk
Zilvia Addict

xpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura about
Guessing you don't want to bring anything back from Japan? Not sure if its the same you guys but know I am only able to ship 1 vehicle.

K-cars are cheap and pretty reliable here. Some food for thought.
xpinoyxmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:02 PM   #11
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpinoyxmk View Post
Guessing you don't want to bring anything back from Japan? Not sure if its the same you guys but know I am only able to ship 1 vehicle.

K-cars are cheap and pretty reliable here. Some food for thought.
I was told we can pay extra for a secondary...I need to confirm this...
Old 09-10-2015, 01:04 AM   #12
xpinoyxmk
Zilvia Addict

xpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
I was told we can pay extra for a secondary...I need to confirm this...
On your own dime yes and you handle the shipping arrangements.

If you do bring your Crosstrek here and have it converted to J-spec, pretty sure you'll need to have it converted back to US-spec once you leave which may end up costing even more money. Just seems unnecessary work...

I know someone here who brought their motorcycle from the states. He was quoted something like $2k to convert it to J-spec.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:23 PM   #13
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Quote:
On your own dime yes and you handle the shipping arrangements.

If you do bring your Crosstrek here and have it converted to J-spec, pretty sure you'll need to have it converted back to US-spec once you leave which may end up costing even more money. Just seems unnecessary work...

I know someone here who brought their motorcycle from the states. He was quoted something like $2k to convert it to J-spec.

That's part of this mystery: what's encompassed in 'J-Spec' ? I can forsee the headlights and emissions needing to be changed but that's just about it.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:17 PM   #14
NISR20MO
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (29)
NISR20MO is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
I don't understand why would you even bring a crosstrek over there? And since you are lucky enough to have the opportunity to bring a car back free of charge you may as well go without. Just buy a sweet 25 year old JDM pimpsled, s-chassis, maybe a cefiro if you need four doors and bring that ass here boy.

Do you know if your warranty is even honored in Japan? I work at a dealership and our NVLW's have stipulations to ensure coverage in mexico and canada in the event you need repairs while motoring out of country, but we were never told anything about warranty coverage across an ocean. I would check on that.

You know how our lights say DOT all over them? They probably have to swap almost every light out on the car's exterior.

Your tires may not even be legal?

Are catalytic converters cheap in Japan?

Brake lines?

They may have to change the fuel tank or at least the fuel filler neck, maybe the charcoal canister to comply?

I can't imagine a scenario where you would NOT be better off buying a car when you get there and bringing it home or selling it when you are done. I am not and have not been in the armed services so I cannot offer insight on the military's side of it. My 2 pennies
NISR20MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:03 PM   #15
xpinoyxmk
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
That's part of this mystery: what's encompassed in 'J-Spec' ? I can forsee the headlights and emissions needing to be changed but that's just about it.

Its not necessarily the parts that get expensive, its the tests/inspections that are. I say if you're spending anything over $1k, its not worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISR20MO View Post
I don't understand why would you even bring a crosstrek over there? And since you are lucky enough to have the opportunity to bring a car back free of charge you may as well go without. Just buy a sweet 25 year old JDM pimpsled, s-chassis, maybe a cefiro if you need four doors and bring that ass here boy.

Do you know if your warranty is even honored in Japan? I work at a dealership and our NVLW's have stipulations to ensure coverage in mexico and canada in the event you need repairs while motoring out of country, but we were never told anything about warranty coverage across an ocean. I would check on that.

You know how our lights say DOT all over them? They probably have to swap almost every light out on the car's exterior.

Your tires may not even be legal?

Are catalytic converters cheap in Japan?

Brake lines?

They may have to change the fuel tank or at least the fuel filler neck, maybe the charcoal canister to comply?

I can't imagine a scenario where you would NOT be better off buying a car when you get there and bringing it home or selling it when you are done. I am not and have not been in the armed services so I cannot offer insight on the military's side of it. My 2 pennies

You are overthinking it but you do bring up a good point about the warranty. I would definitely check into that!
Old 09-10-2015, 08:54 PM   #16
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISR20MO View Post
My 2 pennies
That's the problem with the military: getting any fucking answers lol. I know there has to be someone that's done this with a USDM car. I'm trying to probe. All of the altercations you listed make sense but I'm trying to find some hard facts, you know?

Quote:
Its not necessarily the parts that get expensive, its the tests/inspections that are. I say if you're spending anything over $1k, its not worth it.

You are overthinking it but you do bring up a good point about the warranty. I would definitely check into that!
In all seriousness I'd be willing to drop $3k at the most. It's not just to have it when we arrive...we just really fucking want one and having a new car that's AWD equipped for roaming Japan sounds rad.

Salesman spoke with his manager and said the warranty will be upheld. That was one of my first questions lol.